Top 20 Best Movies Of 2011

New: Top 20 Best Movies 2011 -Let’s explore the best movies of 2011. Ok 2011’s top movies didn’t enjoy the sort of buzz that surrounds next year’s big titles, but there was still plenty to get excited about. We’ll run through our favourites, then mention a few that almost made it. This is the best of 2011 at the movies –

20. Crazy, Stupid, Love
Starring: Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Analeigh Tipton
Directors: Glenn Ficarra, John Requa
Release Date: 29th July 2011

Best Movies 2011
A happily married family man (Carell) is shocked when his wife (Moore) asks for a divorce. Now he’s trying to manage the relationship with his kids while finding himself thrust back onto the dating scene. When he realises he’s too deeply uncool to pick up women he enlists the help of a stylish life coach (Gosling). The directors of I Love You Phillip Morris (who wrote Bad Santa before that) bring something wonderfully subversive and entertaining to the ‘marital crisis’ sub-genre. This has the honesty of a good indie movie with the appealing gloss of a Hollywood picture.

19. Fright Night
Starring: Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, David Tennant, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Toni Collette
Director: Craig Gillespie
Release Date: 7th October 2011

Best Movies Of 2011
Star Trek’s Anton Yelchin is Charley, the young man trying to convince everyone that a deadly vampire (Colin Farrell) has moved in next door. Soon he turns to gothic celebrity Peter Vincent (David Tennant) only to discover he’s not the fearless supernatural guru he portrays. Christopher Mintz-Plasse plays Charley’s best friend ‘Evil’ Ed, and Toni Collette is the mum. The 80s original was an enjoyable, well written comedy horror. This has upped the stakes with a near perfect cast of fun actors, and Farrell is on career best form as the despicable, yet faintly bored, vampire. The sharp script knows how to have fun, without ever losing its intensity.

18. Super 8
Starring: Joel Courtney, Elle Fanning, Kyle Chandler, Ron Eldard
Director: J.J. Abrams
Release Date: 10th June 2011

Best Films 2011
Set in 1979, this is a homage to Spielberg’s ’70s and ’80s science fiction films, written and directed by J.J.Abrams. It tells the story of a group of small-town teens who are filming a home movie on their super 8 camera when a train derails, releasing a dangerous presence into their neighbourhood. E.T., Close Encounters, Goonies, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park all have story threads or shots lifted from them, and while some might think it overdoes the tribute this is ultimately nostalgic for a style of filmmaking that is sorely missed.

17. Thor
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins
Director: Kenneth Branagh
Release Date: 29th July 2011

best movies in 2011
When heir-apparent Thor (Hemsworth) arrogantly ignores his king’s (Hopkins) wishes, he is stripped of his powers and banished from the fantastical realm of Asgard. On earth, Thor must learn humility before his treacherous brother Loki seizes the throne in his absence. This is one of the best movies of 2011 because it was a difficult character and world to introduce to live-action, and Marvel did a very good job. It never strays too far into cheese, and Marvel’s gamble that Kenneth Branagh would bring some Shakespearian gravatas to the court of Asgard paid off. Hemsworth is excellent as Thor.

16. Captain America: The First Avenger
Starring: Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, Sebastian Stan, Hayley Atwell
Director: Joe Johnston
Release Date: 22nd July 2011

good movies 2011
During World War II, skinny Steve Rogers (Evans) volunteers for an Allied research project which turns him into super soldier ‘Captain America’. Soon he is up against Red Skull (Weaving), Hitler’s head of weaponry, who intends to use a tesseract as an energy-source for world domination. This is an enjoyably old-fashioned adventure set apart from other comic book movies by its ’40s atmosphere. The set pieces serve the narrative rather than the other way round and its filled with enjoyable, shaded performances.

15th Place >

The Best Movies Of 2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

• Thom said

Very surprised with your #1 choice too. It looks like a bad Kate Beckinsale movie.

I’d never heard of the Hugo Cabret film but that looks great. Chloe and Asa seem like a great pairing.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the superhero movies will be better than what 2010 offered. They (mostly) all have the potential to bring something new and exciting.

I’m nearly finished on the book TGWTDT and I actually think the Hollywood version could be better than the current Swedish(?) one. The girl they cast looks great for the part.

Tintin, Muppets, X-Men and a lot of others need some trailers before I think I can pass judgement. Shouldn’t these films already be teasing us like Super8 has done?

It would be great to see what order you put the chart in by the end of 2011

• cheron said

Noomi Rapace chose not to play Lisbeth Salander in the American version which to me totally ruins the movie. She embodied that role completely and no one else can bring her so totally alive on screen. I’ll definitely watch the movie and mourn that Noomi is not there on screen.

• dalmatianjaws said

Out of all of them, Battle: Los Angeles is my most anticipated (now that I’ve seen that awesome teaser).

I predict Hugo Caberet will either be Scorsese’s best or worst film. And that’s a bold statement, considering Mean Streets and Shutter Island.

• Ange said

Fast Five: Shot in PR and can they even mention their co-stars or is it because they are not “mainstrem latinos” that they are not even recognized??? WTF???

• jhon doe said

about time a new pirates movie comes out i hope its as good as the others

• child's play said

WHERE THE HECK IS CARS 2!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? you need to put an animated movie (except tintin) in there!!!

• bron said

What? no Ghost in the Shell?

• Tioqo said

What, no dance movie this year? Looks like I’m gonna have to look forward to being an action junkie all over again.

• Joshua Arispe said

My Top 3 films for 2011 is:
    1) Super 8
    2) Rango
    3) Cars 2

• bob said

Top Movies are:
    1. Transformers Dark of The Moon
    2. Hangover 2
    3. Thor

• enrique valenzuela said

you left one off: Havana Heat

watch what i am telling you guys.

• 2011 said

will there be the last airbender 2 ?????

• Sam said

Was with this all the way (great list, well put together, sums up why, hopefully, 2011 will be a great year) until your top pick. Understand you being excited about that if you’re a fan of the original but more excited about that film than *any* other of this coming year’s films?! Would have thought you’d seen enough movies that revisit classic horror films to know that you need to reign your optimism in! Still, I would rather you be right than wrong I suppose.

Sheridan Passell

We wanted to cover everything major, while still expressing our opinion. It is a controversial choice for number 1 but it comes from our honest feelings, most of the writers here are more excited to see it than anything else. Might the movie disappoint? Of course.

What would your top 3 picks be?

• Sam said

You’re right of course, each to their own – I’m sure several people would have the HARRY POTTER or TWILIGHT film top of their lists whilst they wouldn’t even get near other peoples’ own ideas – but still, I honestly think you’ll struggle to find anyone as optimisitic about your top choice as you are.

I haven’t looked at the full 2011 movie slate yet but as I say, of those you feature here I agree with the vast majority; COWBOYS AND ALIENS, CAPTAIN AMERICA and Fincher’s DRAGON TATTOO would all feature highly. SHERLOCK HOLMES is a guilty pleasure and I’m intrigued to see SUCKER PUNCH. I’m sure I’ll be in the queue for most of the films here.

Having said all that, I’m hardly one to talk, I’ve picked some right turkeys for this type of thing in the past!

• ronnie said

will there be the last airbender 2 ?????