Top 20 Best Movies Of 2011

New: Top 20 Best Movies 2011 -Let’s explore the best movies of 2011. Ok 2011’s top movies didn’t enjoy the sort of buzz that surrounds next year’s big titles, but there was still plenty to get excited about. We’ll run through our favourites, then mention a few that almost made it. This is the best of 2011 at the movies –

20. Crazy, Stupid, Love
Starring: Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Analeigh Tipton
Directors: Glenn Ficarra, John Requa
Release Date: 29th July 2011

Best Movies 2011
A happily married family man (Carell) is shocked when his wife (Moore) asks for a divorce. Now he’s trying to manage the relationship with his kids while finding himself thrust back onto the dating scene. When he realises he’s too deeply uncool to pick up women he enlists the help of a stylish life coach (Gosling). The directors of I Love You Phillip Morris (who wrote Bad Santa before that) bring something wonderfully subversive and entertaining to the ‘marital crisis’ sub-genre. This has the honesty of a good indie movie with the appealing gloss of a Hollywood picture.

19. Fright Night
Starring: Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, David Tennant, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Toni Collette
Director: Craig Gillespie
Release Date: 7th October 2011

Best Movies Of 2011
Star Trek’s Anton Yelchin is Charley, the young man trying to convince everyone that a deadly vampire (Colin Farrell) has moved in next door. Soon he turns to gothic celebrity Peter Vincent (David Tennant) only to discover he’s not the fearless supernatural guru he portrays. Christopher Mintz-Plasse plays Charley’s best friend ‘Evil’ Ed, and Toni Collette is the mum. The 80s original was an enjoyable, well written comedy horror. This has upped the stakes with a near perfect cast of fun actors, and Farrell is on career best form as the despicable, yet faintly bored, vampire. The sharp script knows how to have fun, without ever losing its intensity.

18. Super 8
Starring: Joel Courtney, Elle Fanning, Kyle Chandler, Ron Eldard
Director: J.J. Abrams
Release Date: 10th June 2011

Best Films 2011
Set in 1979, this is a homage to Spielberg’s ’70s and ’80s science fiction films, written and directed by J.J.Abrams. It tells the story of a group of small-town teens who are filming a home movie on their super 8 camera when a train derails, releasing a dangerous presence into their neighbourhood. E.T., Close Encounters, Goonies, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park all have story threads or shots lifted from them, and while some might think it overdoes the tribute this is ultimately nostalgic for a style of filmmaking that is sorely missed.

17. Thor
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins
Director: Kenneth Branagh
Release Date: 29th July 2011

best movies in 2011
When heir-apparent Thor (Hemsworth) arrogantly ignores his king’s (Hopkins) wishes, he is stripped of his powers and banished from the fantastical realm of Asgard. On earth, Thor must learn humility before his treacherous brother Loki seizes the throne in his absence. This is one of the best movies of 2011 because it was a difficult character and world to introduce to live-action, and Marvel did a very good job. It never strays too far into cheese, and Marvel’s gamble that Kenneth Branagh would bring some Shakespearian gravatas to the court of Asgard paid off. Hemsworth is excellent as Thor.

16. Captain America: The First Avenger
Starring: Chris Evans, Hugo Weaving, Sebastian Stan, Hayley Atwell
Director: Joe Johnston
Release Date: 22nd July 2011

good movies 2011
During World War II, skinny Steve Rogers (Evans) volunteers for an Allied research project which turns him into super soldier ‘Captain America’. Soon he is up against Red Skull (Weaving), Hitler’s head of weaponry, who intends to use a tesseract as an energy-source for world domination. This is an enjoyably old-fashioned adventure set apart from other comic book movies by its ’40s atmosphere. The set pieces serve the narrative rather than the other way round and its filled with enjoyable, shaded performances.

15th Place >

The Best Movies Of 2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

• Thom said

Amazing how differently I view this list since the beginning of the year 8 long months ago.

I just wanted to mention that I saw RotPotA last night and that has claimed the top spot as my favourite movie so far this year. It was an unexpected pleasure 🙂

• gd smith said

Well of the ones I’ve seen, I really enjoyed
    Attack the Block
    Cowboys and Aliens
    Super 8
    Kung Fu panda 2
    Re the Chris Nolan thing. Mild criticism and less than complete worship is not a backlash. In the case of Inception, I can appreciate that it’s well made. I just found it boring. But really Nolan’s more evangelical fans are just a little bit bonkers and seem unable to accept that taste is subjective. To be fair much as I like True Grit or even a full blown classic like Alien, I wouldn’t dream of claiming that they are objectively better than any other film I like or even dislike. I also believe that the status of classic is largely historical and has very little to to do with spurious notions of objective quality. I have no doubt that Inception is destined to be a classic but I found it boring. I also found Bleak House boring and lots of other classic things boring. And since I’m no longer required to study things, I no longer have to waste effort on appreciating them or pretending that I think they are objectively better than things I do like, such as Humanoids from the Deep.

• vanwilder is not a superhero said

ryan reynolds being invisioned as perfect for any role other than projectionist in a movie house dreaming of getting a good role and actually becoming an adored, legitimate actor are laughable. (by anyone other than aging soccer moms and the gay community)
    They love the abs and don’t care that he can’t act.

What a shame giving one of the potentially most imaginative and coolest superheroes to potentially the most one dimensional and unbelievable actors ever.

Please, with all the reboots happening in franchises today, It’s not too early to recast and reboot green lantern.

He sucked !!!

Sheridan Passell

I think the fault lay a lot more with the script than the actor. Reynolds can be great in dramatic roles (see Buried). If they had just made a live action version of the First Flight animated movie, Green Lantern would have been a hit.

• vanwilder is not a superhero said

Scream 4

Holy shyte what a disappointment, at least the ending was. It was okay with good action but the last 5 – 10 minutes just let me down so much.

The ending was so predictable. I knew who the twist was coming from at the beginning when the chic in the car was dissing Sidney and [- SPOILER -]. I figured it out in the car ride early.

I really hope there’s a better ending to this franchise but worry at this point everyone involved might be getting tired of it. I pray there’s a good enough script to bring them all back for one last thriller, without pandering to the younger crowd to try and sell more tickets. If you build it,(right), they will come.

Sheridan Passell

It was disappointing. Not totally awful, but horribly uninspired. The idea behind the ending isn’t too bad (I didn’t guess it), but it was screwed because they cast the wrong person for the killer role, they just weren’t convincing or frightening enough.
      The series is over, it didn’t do well enough at the box office.

• twolose said

This year’s movies have been mostly about special effects and action. It’s entertaining, but I prefer a movie with a strong story and great acting. Some great movies I’ve seen from previous years; Doubt, Precious, The King’s Speech, Shutter Island, Milk. This year I liked Source Code, Super 8 …and comedies like Arthur and Just Go With It.

• Sora Flamel said

1.harry potter and the deathly hallows part 2
    2.transformers dark of the moon
    3.pirates of the carrbiean on stranger tides
    4.mission impossible 4 ghost protocol
    5.fast five

• Richie 76 said

Hi guys! Seen many positive comments on Green hornet an Contagion, gonna watch both now. Be back 2moz with my own feedback.

• rebekah said

yeah anybody seen the movie hanna it was pretty good

• emily said

im sorry but were the heck is The Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn! best film of the year!!!!!!!!

• noelle said

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2” for me, its d best ever!! Well all 8 movies though..i cant get over H.P!!! ilove just everything about this movie..thanks j.k rowling!!

• noelle said

twilight? Whatever .. Better watch the entire 8 Harry Potter movies than waste a second watching twilight nonsense. Will not even be in the top 100 best movies!

• Brandia said

Aliens in the Attic

• OMGawdddd said

wtf, Harry Potter #1? Unbelievable, because the Harry Potter series is actually boring when you watch (no matter which) one twice, so Harry Potter is for me #20

a #1 movie is worth watching it a few times without getting bored!

• ronaldo,h said