Top 20 Best Movies Of 2011

Rango
Starring: (voices) Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, Bill Nighy, Abigail Breslin, Alfred Molina
Director: Gore Verbinski
Release Date: 4th March 2011

best movies of 2011
Rango (Depp) is a pet chameleon who accidentally winds up in the town of Dirt, a lawless Wild West outpost in desperate need of a new sheriff. The movie is ILM’s first animated feature and they’ve brought a truly unique look to the animation. Rango is smart, savvy and steeped in enough western genre nods to appeal to movie buffs of all ages. From the director of the original Pirates trilogy.

Fast Five
Starring: Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Dwayne Johnson, Jordana Brewster, Tyrese Gibson
Director: Justin Lin
Release Date: 29th April 2011

best movies 2011
Former cop Brian (Paul Walker) and Mia (Jordana Brewster) break Dom (Vin Diesel) out of custody and flee to Brazil where they must pull one last job to gain their freedom. But a hard-nosed federal agent (Dwayne Johnson) is on their trail. Johnson actually brings a lot to the movie and helps elevate this to being the best installment since the first. Storywise it deliberately moves away from the street racing theme, turning the franchise into a heist action series involving cars. Whether you’re happy about that or not, for any fan of muscular action this movie is pure, unadulterated ‘Awesome’.

Paul
Starring: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Seth Rogen (voice), Jason Bateman, Kristen Wiig
Director: Greg Mottola
Release Date: 18th March 2011

Best Films 2011
Two British sci-fi geeks (Pegg and Frost) go on a road trip through America. On the way, they discover an escaped alien named ‘Paul’ (nicely animated, and voiced by Rogen) near Area 51. As they try to reunite him with his mothership, they find Paul has many more opinions than your typical ET. Pegg and Frost are one of the great comedy double acts and here they have good material to work with. They’re also backed up by a terrific supporting cast of American comedians. Every character can crack a good joke, that’s a rare thing, and that’s what makes this a really fun movie, even if it’s not up there with Shaun Of The Dead.

Limitless
Starring: Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, Abbie Cornish, Anna Friel
Director: Neil Burger
Release Date: 18th March 2011

best movies of 2011
An intellectual slacker and former addict is working for a small publishing house when he finds himself in possession of a top-secret drug that boosts intellect, stamina, intuition, and charisma. In a few hours he can write a book, learn a foreign language or master the stock market. But soon shadowy killers are on his trail, and the side effects are kicking in. Limitless feels like an original concept, and isn’t all that predictable scene to scene either, which is sometimes a good side-effect of being based on a novel. It’s very satisfying watching Bradley Cooper kicking ass while on the pill, and feels suitably stressful when supplies runs out. Limitless is nicely acted and directed, with some great visual tricks.

Final 3 >

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

• Thom said

Very surprised with your #1 choice too. It looks like a bad Kate Beckinsale movie.

I’d never heard of the Hugo Cabret film but that looks great. Chloe and Asa seem like a great pairing.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the superhero movies will be better than what 2010 offered. They (mostly) all have the potential to bring something new and exciting.

I’m nearly finished on the book TGWTDT and I actually think the Hollywood version could be better than the current Swedish(?) one. The girl they cast looks great for the part.

Tintin, Muppets, X-Men and a lot of others need some trailers before I think I can pass judgement. Shouldn’t these films already be teasing us like Super8 has done?

It would be great to see what order you put the chart in by the end of 2011

• cheron said

Noomi Rapace chose not to play Lisbeth Salander in the American version which to me totally ruins the movie. She embodied that role completely and no one else can bring her so totally alive on screen. I’ll definitely watch the movie and mourn that Noomi is not there on screen.

• dalmatianjaws said

Out of all of them, Battle: Los Angeles is my most anticipated (now that I’ve seen that awesome teaser).

I predict Hugo Caberet will either be Scorsese’s best or worst film. And that’s a bold statement, considering Mean Streets and Shutter Island.

• Ange said

Fast Five: Shot in PR and can they even mention their co-stars or is it because they are not “mainstrem latinos” that they are not even recognized??? WTF???

• jhon doe said

about time a new pirates movie comes out i hope its as good as the others

• child's play said

WHERE THE HECK IS CARS 2!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? you need to put an animated movie (except tintin) in there!!!

• bron said

What? no Ghost in the Shell?

• Tioqo said

What, no dance movie this year? Looks like I’m gonna have to look forward to being an action junkie all over again.

• Joshua Arispe said

My Top 3 films for 2011 is:
    1) Super 8
    2) Rango
    3) Cars 2

• bob said

Top Movies are:
    1. Transformers Dark of The Moon
    2. Hangover 2
    3. Thor

• enrique valenzuela said

you left one off: Havana Heat

watch what i am telling you guys.

• 2011 said

will there be the last airbender 2 ?????

• Sam said

Was with this all the way (great list, well put together, sums up why, hopefully, 2011 will be a great year) until your top pick. Understand you being excited about that if you’re a fan of the original but more excited about that film than *any* other of this coming year’s films?! Would have thought you’d seen enough movies that revisit classic horror films to know that you need to reign your optimism in! Still, I would rather you be right than wrong I suppose.

Sheridan Passell

We wanted to cover everything major, while still expressing our opinion. It is a controversial choice for number 1 but it comes from our honest feelings, most of the writers here are more excited to see it than anything else. Might the movie disappoint? Of course.

What would your top 3 picks be?

• Sam said

You’re right of course, each to their own – I’m sure several people would have the HARRY POTTER or TWILIGHT film top of their lists whilst they wouldn’t even get near other peoples’ own ideas – but still, I honestly think you’ll struggle to find anyone as optimisitic about your top choice as you are.

I haven’t looked at the full 2011 movie slate yet but as I say, of those you feature here I agree with the vast majority; COWBOYS AND ALIENS, CAPTAIN AMERICA and Fincher’s DRAGON TATTOO would all feature highly. SHERLOCK HOLMES is a guilty pleasure and I’m intrigued to see SUCKER PUNCH. I’m sure I’ll be in the queue for most of the films here.

Having said all that, I’m hardly one to talk, I’ve picked some right turkeys for this type of thing in the past!

• ronnie said

will there be the last airbender 2 ?????