Top 20 Best Movies Of 2011

Source Code
Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Vera Farmiga, Michelle Monaghan, Jeffrey Wright
Director: Duncan Jones
Release Date: 1st April 2011

best movies of 2011
A soldier (Gyllenhaal) wakes up in the body of an unknown man and discovers he’s part of an experimental government program to find the bomber of a Chicago commuter train. Each time the train explodes, it’s reset for him to try again. The director’s previous effort, Moon, was perhaps the best sci-fi movie of 2009. This isn’t as good, but is still highly entertaining. At its best it feels like a Hitchcock film, from the acting to the camera work to the music. And the concept has a way of tickling the brain. Yes it’s a mish-mash of Quantum Leap, 12 Monkeys, Groundhog Day and particularly Deja Vu, but it does it in a compelling way. Just ignore Jeffrey Wright’s hammy performance.

The Thing
Starring: Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Joel Edgerton, Eric Christian Olsen
Director: Matthijs van Heijningen Jr.
Release Date: 14th October 2011

best movies 2011
Prequel to the ’82 John Carpenter classic, set in the Norwegian camp that discovered the alien craft and shapeshifting creature. This is a personal choice, but if you’re a big fan of Carpenter’s version like me, and don’t nitpick too much (yes, the dog is a different colour), you’ll have a great time. The difference between this and other horror remakes (it is one) is you can tell everyone involved really gets the source material and actually cares about doing the best they can. It has inventive ‘Thing-outs’ (the cgi itself varies between excellent and disappointing), great sound, fun-to-unravel whodunit mysteries, and a talented cast.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil
Starring: Tyler Labine, Alan Tudyk, Katrina Bowden, Jesse Moss
Director: Eli Craig
Release Date: 23rd September 2011

2011 best movie
Tucker and Dale are best friends on vacation at their dilapidated mountain house, who are mistaken for murderous backwoods hillbillies by a group of obnoxious, preppy college kids. When one of the students gets separated from her friends, the boys try to lend a hand, but as the misunderstanding grows, so does the body count. This is a gory, good-spirited horror-comedy that cleverly flips the many cliches of the killer redneck movie. Tucker and Dale are both wonderfully played. The college kids overact a bit, but it’s still a most enjoyable ride.

Here’s our top 20:
6. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
5. Rise Of The Apes
4. Hugo
3. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
2. Drive
1. Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows – Part 2

Leave your thoughts on the movies of 2011 in the comments.
What were your favourites this year?

Get Updates For 2011 Movies, Get Our Facebook News Feed

Also See: Comedy Movies 2011 // Horror Movies 2011 // Action Movies 2011

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

• Thom said

Very surprised with your #1 choice too. It looks like a bad Kate Beckinsale movie.

I’d never heard of the Hugo Cabret film but that looks great. Chloe and Asa seem like a great pairing.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the superhero movies will be better than what 2010 offered. They (mostly) all have the potential to bring something new and exciting.

I’m nearly finished on the book TGWTDT and I actually think the Hollywood version could be better than the current Swedish(?) one. The girl they cast looks great for the part.

Tintin, Muppets, X-Men and a lot of others need some trailers before I think I can pass judgement. Shouldn’t these films already be teasing us like Super8 has done?

It would be great to see what order you put the chart in by the end of 2011

• cheron said

Noomi Rapace chose not to play Lisbeth Salander in the American version which to me totally ruins the movie. She embodied that role completely and no one else can bring her so totally alive on screen. I’ll definitely watch the movie and mourn that Noomi is not there on screen.

• dalmatianjaws said

Out of all of them, Battle: Los Angeles is my most anticipated (now that I’ve seen that awesome teaser).

I predict Hugo Caberet will either be Scorsese’s best or worst film. And that’s a bold statement, considering Mean Streets and Shutter Island.

• Ange said

Fast Five: Shot in PR and can they even mention their co-stars or is it because they are not “mainstrem latinos” that they are not even recognized??? WTF???

• jhon doe said

about time a new pirates movie comes out i hope its as good as the others

• child's play said

WHERE THE HECK IS CARS 2!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!? you need to put an animated movie (except tintin) in there!!!

• bron said

What? no Ghost in the Shell?

• Tioqo said

What, no dance movie this year? Looks like I’m gonna have to look forward to being an action junkie all over again.

• Joshua Arispe said

My Top 3 films for 2011 is:
    1) Super 8
    2) Rango
    3) Cars 2

• bob said

Top Movies are:
    1. Transformers Dark of The Moon
    2. Hangover 2
    3. Thor

• enrique valenzuela said

you left one off: Havana Heat

watch what i am telling you guys.

• 2011 said

will there be the last airbender 2 ?????

• Sam said

Was with this all the way (great list, well put together, sums up why, hopefully, 2011 will be a great year) until your top pick. Understand you being excited about that if you’re a fan of the original but more excited about that film than *any* other of this coming year’s films?! Would have thought you’d seen enough movies that revisit classic horror films to know that you need to reign your optimism in! Still, I would rather you be right than wrong I suppose.

Sheridan Passell

We wanted to cover everything major, while still expressing our opinion. It is a controversial choice for number 1 but it comes from our honest feelings, most of the writers here are more excited to see it than anything else. Might the movie disappoint? Of course.

What would your top 3 picks be?

• Sam said

You’re right of course, each to their own – I’m sure several people would have the HARRY POTTER or TWILIGHT film top of their lists whilst they wouldn’t even get near other peoples’ own ideas – but still, I honestly think you’ll struggle to find anyone as optimisitic about your top choice as you are.

I haven’t looked at the full 2011 movie slate yet but as I say, of those you feature here I agree with the vast majority; COWBOYS AND ALIENS, CAPTAIN AMERICA and Fincher’s DRAGON TATTOO would all feature highly. SHERLOCK HOLMES is a guilty pleasure and I’m intrigued to see SUCKER PUNCH. I’m sure I’ll be in the queue for most of the films here.

Having said all that, I’m hardly one to talk, I’ve picked some right turkeys for this type of thing in the past!

• ronnie said

will there be the last airbender 2 ?????