Home » News

Nightmare On Elm Street Remake – No Robert Englund As Freddy

So Michael Bay’s production company, Platinum Dunes, are remaking Nightmare, without Robert Englund. Sources have pretty much confirmed he’s out.

Before we go on, if any of you are curious what a Michael Bay produced Nightmare On Elm Street might look like, this could give you some idea –

Giving Robert Englund the axe… The problem is that Englund didn’t just own the role in the past, he owns it just as much today. He was as energetic and as on the money in Freddy vs Jason as he was back in 1984. He doesn’t need to be rebooted.

Then again, familiarity doesn’t breed fear. The character of Freddy is as beloved and as watchable today as ever, but is he still scary? Not really. Create a new Freddy, with a new actor and new make up effects and hold back on the reveal, and you could have the first truly terrifying Nightmare in a long time.

It’s down to casting, but the track record of Platinum Dunes is a worry. In the last situation like this, they picked Sean Bean to be the new Hitcher – big mistake. Bean is a good actor, but he’s not edgy and off the wall and was absolutely wrong for the part. He was a safe, stock choice from the Hollywood villains list.

Whoever they pick this time better be inspired…

Source: ShockTilYouDrop

Get The Latest NIGHTMARE REMAKE Updates, Sign Up For The Newsletter

Also check out: Batman 3 Villains

NEW: Funniest Animated Gifs About Movies

Arnold Rave
Arnold Rave

Arnold Rave David Hasselhoff Mo Naked Hoes Chariot Sam Jackson Picard 300 Webcam The Matrix Origami Van Damme Band Willy Wonka In The Shining

• Mark said

While I am thrilled to hear of a new Freddy film being made (even if it’s a remake), I hope they pull it off well. As far as using Robert as Freddy, I personally would love to see him come back but he if getting older and it just may not be doable for him. However, given that Freddy’s face is covered in makeup, they can certainly make him look like Robert and hopefully the actor can learn to act like Robert. But I can tolerate a different actor if they do it in auch a way that you really don’t realize it’s someone else. We’ll just have to wait and see! In the meantime… why not go get yourself your own real Freddy Glove at http://www.knifegloves.com to satisfy some Freddy cravings!!

• Rick Martinez said

i wont 2 see jonnie depth play jason vorhes n michal by is a good diretor

• alicia said

that video clip sucked for real… come on now be serious! i saw all the freddy movies and i have to admit they are alot better than this one… get a new director and keep the original actor robert england. pleaseeee

• Adam said

To Chris who posted FEB 17th. Holysh*t man, if you remade that movie I would kill myself… Seriously…

• vanessa said

i think this is the worste idea ive ever heard of in my ENTIRE LIFE, stop remaking movies, jesus, some i might be able to understand, i would like to see The Birds remade, even tho i love the original, but seriously…nightmare on elm street with out robert englund…im just speachless, i hope there are bigger protests b/c i cant handle it, there are times i cringe when i hear they are remaking something else but part of me wants to see it, this one i absolutely refuse, i love robert englund he really isnt replacable, i dont think heather langenkamp really is either, hollywood should concentrate more on making GOOD orignal movies instead of destroying the things many people love, it really is a cult classic, im appalled,and i agree with adam …

• Melinda said

I am so against this remake! I am protesting it. I ask for support of my fellow loyal Freddy fans now, it is needed more than ever.

Please sign the petition against the Nightmare on elm street remake. After we receive enough signatures. It will be mailed off to the film companies.

Here is the link:

Please post it wherever you can to get other fans to sign! We as fans shouldn’t just sit here and take this!

Robert IS Freddy and he always will be!

• Melinda said

Let’s pull together as fans and protest this remake. The majority of us are against it.

Please sign the petition here:

It will be sent to the film companies once we obtain enough signatures. Together, we can attempt to make them listen to us.

• Tom said

Personally, I’m very much looking forward to this remake. I think you guys are taking this whole remake thing a bit too seriously (especially with trying to do a formal protest…give me a break). Remember, Michael Bay is NOT directing, he’s just producing the thing (just like he did with the Texas Chainsaw remake which I thought was an excellent remake). Point I’m trying to make is give the remake a chance (assuming it happens) and if you are that much against it, then just don’t buy a darn ticket to see it…Its that simple.

• Melinda said

I understand that some people might want to see this remake and those are the people that usually like remakes, but many people out there do not want to see this happen to their favorite horror character. It’s not just about Michael Bay being attached to it. It is more so the fact that they want to just replace Robert Englund that way. It’s not being very respective of the Freddy Krueger character. This is different than all other things being remade in my opinion because Robert Englund is Freddy Krueger and no one should just take him away from that unless he’s really not able to play the character and they just never asked him if he would do it, cuz if they did he would at least consider playing the role i know. This is the worst news ever to the people that hold the Nightmare on elm street series so highly on their movie lists. For me and some other people, the Rob Zombie remake of Halloween messed up the image of how Michael Myers was in the original. We really don’t want that to happen with Freddy, but it looks like it will now. We’re fighting to stop that and if there’s a remake, we at least want Robert Englund to play Freddy.

• Paul said

If it one thing I did like about the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, its that Robert Englund was Freddy in every single movie. Other movies like Friday the 13th and Halloween Have had numerous other actors play the lead villian roll mainly cause there behind masks and not easily recognizeable to the naked eye. In this case Englund is the face of Freddy. When I see Englund I say hey theres Freddy Krueger.. Its his alter ego so to say..Working in a maintenace career field we have a saying if it aint broke dont fix it. With all repsect to Michael Bay if Robert Englund will not play the roll drop the project and make a bad ass Tranformers Sequal cause like others have said this is Englunds roll and I believe the shoes are to big to be filled by any one else.

• Tom said

I have always held the Nightmare on Elm Street movies as my favorite horror movie franchise of all time and I still would love to see what they could do to re-ignite the franchise. While I will always regard Robert Englund as the original freddy Kruegar, and would definitely love to see him don the makeup for this remake, I’d like to see how they would re-imagine Freddy for the remake. Personally, I think they made a mistake when they turned Freddy into the wise cracking gould after the first movie as it ended up turning what started out as a true “horror movie” into more of a horror-comedy as each new sequel came out (don’t get me wrong, I loved all the sequels but part of me kind of wished they kept Freddy the way he was in the original nightmare). So I say, let Mr. Bay give it a shot and worst case scenario is that they do a terrible job and it simply fades away into obscurity and gets forgotten. Who knows, they may come up with something really awesome and surprise us all.

• Adam said

One more thing Chris, everything you said could ruin the movie. Not just Hillary Duff. Seriously though Shai labeouf, Johnny Depp as Freddy. Man, I really hope your kidding. Anyone who has ideas like that can’t possibly be a fan of the Nightmare On Elm St movies. No Englund no Freddy. It’s really that simple.

• freddy said

wot the hell…im a huge fan of a nightmare on elm street and have been since i was 10 and i have a few things to say about the re-make, im all for it, i would love to see a nighmare on elm street brought back 2 its roots but only if robert englund plays freddy, i no that this has been said before, but its been said because its fact that robert is freddy…i agree with the fact that they made freddy into a bit of a joker after the first movie…and yes this was very, very wrong….that is why i think that a re-make could bring the fear back to freddy, they also need to keep freddy talkn to a minimum like they did in the original. but if robert is to play freddy bring the re-make on…if not just watch the original, it wont disappoint.

• JADA said

0KAY. FiRST 0F ALL FREDDY KRUEGER USE T0 SCARE THE HELL 0UT 0F ME!! AND THAT CLiP JUST L00KS STUPiD!! THiS iS A H0RR0R FLiCK N0T N0 DAMN ACTi0N M0ViE. ALS0, R0BERT ENGLUND iS A LEGAND!! N0 0NE CAN REPLACE HiM!! HE MADE NiGHTMARE 0N ELM STREET A SUCCESS!! i WiLL WATCH THE REMAKE.. BUT i PR0MiSE, iT WiLL N0T BE AS SCARY AS THE REAL NiGHTMARE!!

• jim said

nobody realizes that the clip isn’t real???? it’s clips of All 7 Nightmares pieced together with clips from Michael Bay movies… This isn’t a trailer or anything. It’s supposed to convey the difference in styles between what Michael Bay generally does, and what Nightmare is