Transformers 4 Round-Up

Transformers 4 - Will There Be One? Answer Time.
It’s been a momentous week for the Transformers franchise. So is there going to be a Transformers 4 or a reboot? And what can we expect from it?

A couple of days ago Transformers: Dark of the Moon reached $1 billion worldwide gross. That’s $338 million in the US and $663 million internationally. Incredibly it’s the first billion dollar grossing movie in Paramount’s 99 year history. And it’s one of the 10 highest grossing films worldwide of all time. This was no doubt helped by the inflated ticket price of 3D, but still it’s a great achievement, especially coming off the back of a generally disliked second movie.

So what happens now? Shia LaBeouf and Michael Bay have had enough. Shia told MTV “I’m not coming back to do another one. I don’t think Mike [Bay] will either,” the actor continued. “It is still a hot property I think, especially coming out of the third one. So I imagine they’ll reboot it at some point with someone else.” Bay wrote on his site, “I’m kind of sad to leave the franchise.”

It’s a common Hollywood tactic to pretend you want to leave a successful franchise just to boost your next payday. But after five years of Transformers blue-screen filmmaking and more money than they could ever spend, it could well be genuine.

If they do go, will it mean a reboot like Shia suggests? No. The producer has stated “Certainly not a reboot. We haven’t lost the Transformers. They didn’t grow up or become expensive like Tobey Maguire. I’m pretty sure there will be a second trilogy. I am pretty sure it will kick ass. And I am pretty sure some of you will hate it because it wasn’t all bots.”

There have been rumours that Spielberg might direct or that Jason Statham might be the new leading man (he’s dating Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in real life), but trust me those will prove to be nonsense. Bay himself has said the Statham thing is untrue.

TRANSFORMERS 3 SPOILERS: One problem Transformers 4 will have is how to deal with the bridges burnt by Bay at the end of Dark of the Moon. Killing Starscream and Megatron in such a final way means there’s going to be a huge gap in future movies. Then again, could Megatron somehow be recovered enough to become Galvatron (the ‘re-born’ form of a destroyed Megatron)? And were they both fairly minor players in Dark of the Moon anyway?

Bay said he wasn’t keen on the Dinobots, but if he’s exiting then this would seem the time. They’re great characters, would present a fresh new spectacle on screen (giant metal dinosaurs trashing a city), and their prehistoric-form would offer some obvious plot opportunies if it meant prehistoric-origins too. The series sure does love to show the Transformers dropping in on earth’s history.

Unicron (the planet-sized Transformer from the original animated movie) is the villain most fans want to see. While this would be jaw-droppingly spectacular, it does present a huge logistical problem – how is Shia LaBeouf’s human replacement going to battle something the size of a planet?

Update: (February 2012) Michael Bay has been persuaded to stay on for a fourth movie. Shia is gone. Transformers 4 will replace all the human chracters with an entirely new cast. They haven’t decided yet how they are going to handle the robots – they may reboot them too, they may not. The release date is summer 2014.

Update: (November 2012) Mark Wahlberg has been confirmed as the new star, replacing Shia LaBeouf.

What do you want to see happen in Transformers 4? Should Michael Bay direct? Which new characters do you want to see? Leave your plot ideas in the comments.

Get Sequel Updates For Transformers 4, Fan Our Facebook News Feed

Sources: Independent, Digital Spy, TFW2005, ShootForTheEdit

Our Latest Review - Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

• James said

I would like to see the dinobots. I think they would be great to bring them in maybe as an experiment the decepticons did on captured autobots. Accidently turning them into an elite class of bots that have rejoined their autobot brethern.

• TNICE said

If Unicron is in the next movie they should use the voice of Mr Shadow in the movie The Fifth Element

• mike said

i think get him to come back shia kill him off have to tie up lose ends and dinobots are my reason for living but grimloc was by far my fav guy back in he day

• Jose said

I Think The Same Characters Should Be In The Movie, If Not Its Gonna Be A Waste Of Film, And Believe Me I Like These Movies A lot, Don’t Make Me Hate Them.

• mark said

i would like that mikayla actor bck the one that was in Transformers 1-2
    please

• Lauren said

YOU HAVE TO HAVE SAM STILL IN IT AND AT LEAST THE MAIN ARMY GUY WHICH HAS BEEN IN IT FROM THE START. I THINK IN ORDER TO CONTINUE THE GREAT ‘TRANSFORMERS’ FILMS THERE HAS TO BE A ”MAIN” CHARACTER BASE. YOU ALREADY GOT RID OF MEGAN AND REPLACED HER BRILLIANTLY, BUT THERE HAS TO BE FAMILIARITY OR PEOPLE WILL BE LIKE WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!

TAKE HARRY POTTER FILMS, 3 MAIN CHARACTERS. DIDN’T REALLY MATTER WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REST OF THE CHARACTERS AS LONG AS YOU HAD THOSE 3 MAIN PEOPLE.

I HOPE THEY KEEP THEM!

• Zach said

I don’t have a plot a idea yet but I know a new good caractor. I have no idea if any brought it up or not because I have not read through all of the comments. They should feature Omega Supreme in their new movie if and when they make one.

• Cole said

I also agree with matt and the fallen shoul come back as the leader of the deseoticons but I also think they should do something totally new and introduce new chacters with more outobotts

• will said

yea i wana see primus vs unicron something big like that clash of the titans

• Ken25 said

Unicron Vs Primus would be an epic fight They would fighting in Earth’s Solar system also fight on top on Jupiter’s Surface seeing Unicron Picking up Primus and throwing him onto Jupiter like a giant comet

• arukea said

they should make a 4th one and they could backtrack to cybertron and how the war started. and the game transfomers cybertron adventures if they look at the game they could inter twin the 2 to make a awsome movie plus they should have made starscream G1 just my thought on it ^^

• Ken25 said

I would love to see Ultra Magus in Transformers Movie 4 Also Unicron will be the main villain for Transformers Movie 4 which he comes to Davor Earth and ride the Martix of LeaderShip.
    Also both The Autobots and Decepticons will unite to bring down Unicron also there will be some Decepticons like Zarak who are one of Unicrons followers who will try to take the Matrix of LeaderShip from Optimus Prime to keep him for using it against Unicron also seeing a huge battle between Zarak and Galvatron for leadership of the Decepticons. Both Optimus Prime and Galvatron will go into Unicron and destroy his Shadow Spark from inside his planet size Body with the Matrix before Unicron Davors Planet Earth their New Home from them.

• Owen said

I hate the idea of the Dino-bots, but I also would really really
    like Megatron to come back, maybe in the form of Galvatron.
    I also don’t think there should be a new cast of Autobots.
    The Autobots should stay the same, the fighting should stay the same, the characters being changed will certainly make a difference though. I love Transformers and I would defninetly
    want to see a sequel!

• mason heath said

Unicron needs to be in transformers 4 and one of the autobots preferobly optimism prime

• mason heath said

I think optimism prime should die

• Duncan said

I think Optimus should like send out a message to the universe,Unicron interceps and awakens from a 2 century sleep and searches the universe for all remaining Autobots. Then near the middle of the movie Primus(planet Cybertron)comes and finds Unicron and there’re fighting each other.Then Primus falls back asleep and Unicron powers up an Ultra cannon to blast Primus to pieces.while thats happening,Optimus and the Autobots sneak onto Primus and look for a way to reboot his systems,but deactivated Decepticons suddenly awaken from a 34 eon sleep. The Autobots are fighting for their lives against thousands of Decepticons.