Top 10 Best Zombie Movies

Top 10 Best Zombie Movies (List) 2012 After being practically dead and buried in the 90s, zombie films have sprung back to life in the last few years.

So let’s stagger moaning through the annals of film history and put together a list of the… Top 10 Best Zombie Movies ever made.

10. Dawn Of The Dead (2004)

best zombie movies list
Gone is the subtext, gone is the joy of living in a mall, gone is the subtle character development, but this remake does do a number of things very well. It’s fast, it’s scary and there’s no denying it brought the genre up to date, turning it into something cool and mainstream – no mean feat. It has perhaps the most terrifying opening 10 minutes of any zombie film.

9. Return Of The Living Dead (1985)

Ever wonder where zombies got their taste for ‘Braaaiinnns?” It was this movie that introduced it –

Written and directed by the screenwriter of Alien and Total Recall, this parody of Night Of The Living Dead is so unique and inventive it feels like it’s own creation. The plot sees the dead of Louisville, Kentucky brought back to life by a toxic gas and going on a rampage, for brains.

8. Day Of The Dead (1985)

George A. Romero’s underrated Day takes a microcosm of society and observes how a lack of human communication leads to breakdown. Soon it’s mad scientist vs insane military captain, with everyone else stuck in the middle. And in Capt. Rhodes it features one of the most magnificent bastards ever to grace the screen –

Day has the most realistic gore effects in any zombie movie to date, thanks to an absence of cgi and to a Tom Savini at the height of his powers – the headless body on the Dr.’s slab is a magician’s magic trick. Romero considers it to be his best zombie film.

7. Dead Alive (aka Braindead) (1992)

new zombie movies list 2010
The cult horror-comedy from Peter Jackson almost implodes under its own manic loonacy but as a screwball take on Night Of The Living Dead it somehow holds itself together with an endless stream of “did they just do that?” moments. Probably the zombie movie most likely to make you vomit, especially if you don’t like what’s in the custard.

6. White Zombie (1932)

The film that created the zombie genre, before Romero re-imagined the rules three decades later. Zombies used to have a master controlling them, and didn’t eat people. Here the great Béla Lugosi plays a voodoo master in Haiti who turns people into zombies with the power of his mind. Now that’s badass. He also has a no-messing first name – ‘Murder’. Rob Zombie’s heavy metal band White Zombie took the movie’s title as a tribute.

5. Zombieland (2009)

Imagine a young neurotic Woody Allen in a zombie crisis. That’s effectively who Jesse Eisenberg is playing in this comedy road trip, staying alive by following his carefully formulated rules. Zombieland doesn’t explore the origins of the zombie outbreak or have a particularly interesting plot (Woody Harrelson is trying to find a twinkie), but wins over through the sheer chemistry of its leads, witty writing and an entertaining mystery cameo.

4. 28 Days Later (2002)

good zombie movies
The debate over whether these are zombies or not can rage on, but it’s worth noting just because you change a couple of rules doesn’t mean you’ve created a new genre, the zombie rules have been changing since White Zombie in the 1930s. They didn’t even used to eat people. What 28 Days Later does show is how much one simple change (they can run) can revitalise everything. Add to that the brilliant drama, atmosphere and the haunting scenes of an empty London and you have a movie that stays in the mind long after it’s over.

3. Shaun Of The Dead (2004)

It’s extremely rare that a movie can successfully bridge horror and comedy but Shaun Of The Dead smacks that challenge round the face with a cricket bat. It’s the hum-drum everyday reality of Shaun and Ed’s lives – playing TimeSplitters 2, popping to the shops for a Cornetto – that makes the introduction of blood-drenched zombies feel all the more real and unsettling.

2. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)

Top 10 Best Zombie Films
Romero’s first outing revolutionised the horror genre and the concept of zombies, in a way that is still being felt today. ‘Zombies’ became an undead horde who feasted on the living, dressed in work clothes or casket attire, sported injuries, and shuffled. Gore was introduced too. With its none too subtle references to the war in Vietnam, graphic violence and stark black and white photography, it caused a humongous stir on its initial release and while the violence may seem watered down by current standards it still remains the movie that created the modern zombie.

And here it is, the number 1 all time top zombie movie –

1. Dawn Of The Dead (1978)

With its sly take on brainless consumerism, unique atmosphere, assured director, and imaginatively gruesome FX from Tom Savini, this isn’t just the best of Romero’s ‘Dead’ series, but the best zombie movie period. At its core it taps into two desires none of us quite realised we had – to live in a mall where everything is free, and to take down a slow moving enemy with creative weapon combinations. Overall, Dawn Of The Dead is proof that a gore-fest can be thought-provoking and work on multiple levels.

Any good zombie movies I missed? Leave your thoughts in the comments.

Also see: New Zombie Movies

Top 10 Vampire Movies

Top 10 Werewolf Movies

• Corin said

Might’ve been a bit early for this movie but I Sell The Dead is a great zombieish movie.

Also the new Land of the Dead is pretty awesome, and I also have to say that Resident Evil 1 was pretty damn good.

The list is pretty good, but I’m not sure I’d put Dawn of the Dead sequel on the list or Planet Terror which to me was pure suck just as a movie in general.

Favs from list: 28 Days Later, Return of the Living Dead and Shaun of the dead.

• jamie dougal said

have any of you seen ZOMBIELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jesus , zombieland is the best zombie movie of alltime

• robotwun said

can’t believe you dont have 28weeks later in your list, better than 28 days.. the opening sequence alone should put it into your list, even if it does stray a little towards the end ;O)

• maya said

check ‘rec’
    is the best movie about zombies ever.
    it is really scary and its from spain

• The Dude said

oh for the love of god. The 28 days later “zombie” isn’t a zombie because it’s still living! a zombie is the walking dead..it may be zombie-esque. the argument has very little to do with them running…that’s part of it but They AREN’T zombies. any true fan of the genre knows this and there should be no debate.

• fred said

I loved the Dawn of the Dead remake. When I found it at blockbuster for $1.99 I grabbed it. Watching it got me wanting to find more zombie films. So I rented the original Night of the Living Dead. I was bored. My grandmother could fight off a zombie from this film.
    A zombie film no one has mentioned is Night of the Comet which I think is worth checking out.

• Freq said

Zombie Diaries is one of my favorites. The English can definitely produce great Zombie films. Its my favourite genre fo shizzle!!!

• Bentom said

Where’s Resident Evil. Its the best..

• Eli said

has anybody heard of dead snow or “dod sno” its a norwegian nazi zombie movie. It premiered at the 2009 sundance film festival. look into it, probably the best comedy/ zombie movie ever. (yes, over shaun of the dead)

• Jazmine said

DIARY OF THE DEAD!

• den_PADRE said

well there are realy good movies in the list, what i want to see in a zombie movie is more realistic story. lots of blood and gore is ok but movies like return of the living dead i didn’t like… i like it when its more focused on survival than just spilling millions of gallons of blood.
    exept zombieland ^^ :p movie was awsome

but nobody mentioned a realy cool zombie mini series called ‘dead set’ the lenght of all the parts put together form a normal movie so i consider it a movie. if you like zombie movies check that one out, i guarantee you’ll love it 😉

• Dude said

Zombie 2 was a really scary one. I watched it as a child and to this day, that was the single movie that has given me my fear of zombies.

• Martina, The Zombie Addict said

I’m a huge zombie film fan. I have watched sooo many, it’s pathetic when you think about it. 😛 … I love the stuff.

First of all, I agree. Dawn of the Dead [2004] was one of the greatest zombie movies made. I think the start is a master piece! Its amazing.. Once the footage of a crazed world and the Johnny Cash music plays, it’s amazing. I loved all of it. I don’t see why people say it was such a no good movie. It’s my favorite.

Next, 28 days later is definitely a favorite. Its actually the movie that made me love zombie movies. Running Zombies are the best! XD

-28 WEEKS LATER, also a great one. The start of the movie is the best, goes on to a man running from fields full of zombies. I loved it. I dont know why It’s not on this list 😛

Next, you forgot the Resident Evil movies.
    I’ll admit, the first one was lame, The second one was better, but the “Extinction” one was amazing. I can’t believe you didn’t include this one…
    I mean, sure.. Night of the living dead is a all time classic and one of the first original zombie movies, but lets face it… Its about time we moved on. There are better zombie movies out, better graphics, and so much better story lines, theories, and scenarios. It was creepy…. BACK IN the 1960’s/1970’s …. ITS 2010. I love night of the living dead… Idk, these are just my opinions. 🙂

Zombie lOve <3

• Mr J said

I cant quite believe that ‘the serpent and the rainbow’ didnt get a mention, that has one of the best decapitation scenes in any film ever

• DAn said

I liked Zombieland. Isn’t anyone here from the place?