Home » Horror Movies

Horror Movies 2013 – Guide

Top 30 Best Horror Movies 2013 (inc. DVD) Let’s take a look at the biggest and best horror movies of 2013. The scary list features the usual mix of remakes (‘Evil Dead’), adaptations (‘World War Z’) and original fare (‘7500’). We’ll go through the good and bad to find the gems. Here’s our definitive guide to the best horror movies, 2013 :

– JANUARY –

Texas Chainsaw 3D
Starring: Alexandra Daddario, Dan Yeager, Tania Raymonde, Trey Songz
Director: John Luessenhop
Released: 4 January 2013 (U.S. Dates)

Best Horror Movies 2013
A young woman travels to Texas with her friends to collect an inheritance; little does she know that an encounter with a chainsaw-wielding killer is part of the reward. This is a direct sequel to the original 1974 version (although set in the present day) which ignores the events of ‘Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2’ (1986), ‘Leatherface’ (1990) and ‘TCM: Next Generation’ (1994). It also has nothing to do with the rebooted 2003 version or its prequel, since Michael Bay’s team have dropped the series and it’s been picked up by Twisted Pictures/Lionsgate. Newcomer Dan Yeager is playing the chainsaw-wielding Leatherface. Franchise alumni Marilyn Burns, Gunnar Hansen, John Dugan, and Bill Moseley will make appearances. The writers with screenplay credit are bargain basement and the director of the mediocre ‘Takers’ is new to the horror genre. Production values will be ok but don’t expect anything more than that. [Critics: 19% (via Rotten Tomatoes)] [Public: 4.8 (via IMDB)] – Avoid

Mama
Starring: Jessica Chastain, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Megan Charpentier
Director: Andres Muschietti
Released: 18 January 2013

New Horror Movies 2013
A couple are faced with the challenge of raising their feral young nieces when they are discovered in a forest after being lost for five years. Soon it becomes apparent that the girls are being haunted by a ghostly woman, who they believe to be their dead mother. Guillermo del Toro is serving as exec producer and that’s usually a good thing. Star Jessica Chastain, looking unrecognisable, is high calibre for this type of material – her recent credits include ‘The Help’, ‘Tree of Life’, and ‘Lawless’, and she’s frontrunner to win Best Actress for ‘Zero Dark Thirty’. Early word is ‘Mama’s not quite as effective as the director’s excellent short on which it’s based, but it’s still tense and creepy, based in large part on the children’s performances. [Critics: 65%] [Public: 6.2] – Decent

John Dies At The End
Starring: Chase Williamson, Rob Mayes, Paul Giamatti, Clancy Brown, Angus Scrimm
Director: Don Coscarelli
Released: 25 January 2013

Latest Horror Movies 2013
Two dropout slackers are on ‘soy sauce’, a drug which causes its users to drift into alternative realities. When they realise Earth is the subject of an otherworldly invasion they have to travel to an alternative dimension to stop it. This is based on the novel, which was originally published online as a popular free webserial. The movie’s teaser trailer barely made any sense but had a charm all its own. Coscarelli is a highly entertaining ‘horror-fun’ director. Anyone who’s seen the excellent ‘Phantasm II’ will be excited by what he could do with this material. [Critics: 60%] [Public: 6.4] – Good

Hansel And Gretel: Witch Hunters
Starring: Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton, Famke Janssen, Peter Stormare
Director: Tommy Wirkola
Released: 25 January 2013

Best Horror Films 2013
Tonally similar to ‘Evil Dead II’, this has siblings Hansel (Renner) and Gretel (Arterton), 15 years after the gingerbread house incident, working as badass witch hunters. We’re told to expect a steampunk vibe mixed with a slight Goth edge and hyper-cartoon violence/R-rate gore. The director of ‘Dead Snow’ makes his US debut. This is part of an odd recent Hollywood trend for taking children’s stories and turning them into horror/thriller/action movies. Hopefully the excellent Jeremy Renner can turn ‘Witch Hunters’ into something more than a mildly-entertaining diversion. [Critics: 15%] [Public: 6.1] – Decent

– FEBRUARY –

Warm Bodies
Starring: Nicholas Hoult, Teresa Palmer, Rob Corddry, John Malkovich, Dave Franco
Director: Jonathan Levine
Released: 1 February 2013

2013 Horror Movies
Adaptation of the ‘Romeo and Juliet’-inspired zombie-romance novel. A young zombie ‘R’ (Nicolas Hoult) wanders through the devastation of the apocalypse, craving human brains to get high on their memories. When a female brain helps him fall in love with her friend Julie (Teresa Palmer), he rescues Julie from his deadly zombie pack and their adventure together begins. Don’t expect anything too sappy or ‘Twilight’-ish, director Levine is very credible after ‘The Wackness’ and ’50/50′. It’ll be heavy on voiceover as ‘R’ can only use grunts and simple syllables. Malkovich plays a villainous General intent on wiping out zombie-kind. [Critics: 80%] [Public: 6.9] – Excellent

The Haunting In Connecticut 2: Ghosts Of Georgia
Starring: Chad Michael Murray, Abigail Spencer, Katee Sackhoff, Cicely Tyson
Director: Tom Elkins
Released: 1 February 2013

best horror movies of 2013
Sequel to 2009’s mildly successful ‘Haunting In Connecticut’. This time the PG-13 action takes place in the rural South, with a whole new family. It centres on a blue collar, no-nonsense husband and his wife. She shares a curse and terrifying visions with her younger sister, and fears she may have passed that along to her daughter. It’s loosely based on the supernatural accounts of the real-life Wyrick family. Chad Michael Murray (‘House Of Wax’) and Abigail Spencer (‘Mad Men’) star, which is a step down from Virginia Madsen in the previous one. The editor of the first movie takes the director’s chair. This seems like more of a remake than a sequel. Terrible title. [Critics: 19%] [Public: 5.3] – Mediocre

More Horror Movies 2013 (FEBRUARY) >

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

• markas said

Martyrs is a must see for horror fans. Deep Red, Suspiria, Inferno are all Argento masterpieces and the music of Simonetti unequalled in horror aside from Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells. Perhaps one day another geat horror film will be made.

• Loriz said

yeah. the purge!! one of the best movies of all time yo! ^^

• amir said

hi. i think the best are texas chainsaw, conjuring, u’re next and evil dead. thanks.

• Fan said

The Conjuring was scary at many moments.

MAMA is far from scary, but the story’s a sad one.

WTF why is Hansel and Gretel added in a Horror movie list? Because it’s as scary as watching Scooby Doo. Though it’s an awesome watch. Entertaining.

Last Exorcism 1 was sh*t. 2 is even sh*ttier.

PA1 was good. 2 was alright. 3 was bad. 4 was sh*t. 5 will prolly be sh*ttier.

• bert said

Lords Of Salem was so boring, I watched it for an hour and turned it of 🙁

• muzammil said

Insidious chapter 2.. i am waiting.. loved the first part.. was scared n couldnt sleep guyz do watch insidious first part those who dint watched..

• bert said

I liked “A Resurrection” a lot, it got bad reviews but deserves better. A good story, nice and quiet pace, some shock moments and the acting was overal very good!

• ace_antipolo said

I THINK THE “EVIL DEAD” REMAKE ISNT THE ‘SHOCK-A-LOT’ HORROR FLICK THAT WE’RE EXPECTING. I HAVENT WATCHED THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY BUT I HEARD THEY WERE GORE FESTS. I’M GOING TO SEE ALL OF THEM AND FIND OUT. 🙂

• sama said

the conjouring-the evil dead and mama was the most terrifying movies i have ever watched awesome movies

• me said

Hanzel and gretel, warm bodies are not horror films!

Sheridan Passell

Each crosses three genres, action-fantasy-horror and rom-com-horror. One is about witches, the other about zombies. It’s like saying American Werewolf isn’t a horror because it’s a horror-comedy. I try to be clear in the description what type of movie it is.

• chronikushsmoker said

Nice list. My top 3 that I have see would be #1 Evil Dead, #2 Texas Chainsaw 3D and All The Boys Love Mandy Lane. Can’t wait for The Green Inferno & Horns. Cheers!!!

• AshGCG said

Can’t really say that any of the horror releases this year jumped out at me. And I honestly do try to watch as many as possible.

I enjoyed the comedy/horror mash-up in Warm Bodies, but that is coming from someone whose favourite film in a previous listing ended up being Tucker and Dale V Evil.

I had hoped for more (not better, just more) from World War Z, but even with its wide-ranging source material to work from it wasn’t all it could have been. Not necessarily a bad film in and of itself but not Brooks’ World War Z.

The year isn’t over yet so . . . here’s hoping.

Sheridan Passell

Yeah it’s not been a great year for the genre. What did you think of You’re Next, The Conjuring and Evil Dead?

• AshGCG said

ooh. And is The Frozen Ground still being considered a horror?

• AshGCG said

Wasn’t too sure there was a point to the remake of Evil Dead, but as you say, its visuals are cleaner and crisper. Wouldn’t say it was better than Raimi’s (because I’d likely be shot) but it certainly felt different. Wouldn’t ask for the receipt if the BluRay turned up in my Christmas stocking.

You’re Next was an unsurprising film. A few shock moments scattered about but plot twists were widely broadcast. Saying that, I’d still watch it again without complaint.

I honestly cannot recall anything about The Conjuring. It never left a mark. I would need to see it again (now you’ve made me think about) just to make sure I had seen it in the first place. oops!

Sheridan Passell

Ha, well let me know what you think when you do see it (for the second time?)

I wish someone bought me horror blu-rays for Christmas.

• Bert said

Nobody buys you horror blu-rays? Me neither 🙁 In fact, my friends and family don’t like horror at all. I used to give them DVD’s but I get no feedback whatsoever 🙁 So I stopped, and give them flowers instead 😀 So the horror fascination leaves me lonely, but I don’t mind really, because I always watch movies alone. I dont want to hear “this is just make believe”, no, when I watch, my feelings are real and I totally live in the movies’ atmosphere. In real life I’m chicken sh*t scared, but behind the screen I am the hero!

Sheridan Passell

Flowers instead of horror dvds – nice switch! lol

Yeah I’ve given up finding people to watch horror movies with, very rare that a girlfriend would want to. Anyway it’s not like I even notice if anyone else is there when I’m watching this stuff – too involved.

• Bert said

I’m looking forward to see the second half of 2013 horror movies 🙂 So far this year’s movies were bad 🙁 and I so had it with zombies and haunted houses!

7500 looks promising, I love claustrophobic airplane movies!
    I also like scifi, so The Last Days On Mars is on my list too. Together with The Green Inferno and The Horns it seems like some diversity finally arrived 🙂

Sheridan Passell

Agreed, there is some interesting diversity coming up. Hopefully quality stuff. At this stage I think a lot of them will end up being pushed to early next year, which is a shame, but not long to wait.