The Expendables 4 – Sequel Plans

The Expendables 4 - Sequel Plans, Cast Rumors

The Expendables 3 has just been unleashed unto the world, with its most impressive and hard-boiled lineup of stars yet. But will any of the actors still be alive for The Expendables 4? And if so, who can we expect to see?

The third film didn’t have a particularly strong opening weekend, bringing in just $15.9m. Compare that to the first’s $35m and the second’s $28m and you see a concerning downward slope. Then there’s the rumoured $90 production budget and things start looking very shaky for the series continuing. But this sort of franchise lives on home rental/downloads and when you have a brand that gets people talking, it’s unlikely that Hollywood is going to walk away completely from this franchise. Will that mean another movie? Or a lower-budget spin-off? Or a TV show? The studio will wait for those home rental figures before deciding. The leaking of a dvd-quality version of the movie, which was watched by over two million people before the movie landed in cinemas, will impact all these figures, though it’s near impossible to assess how much. It may not be as much as assumed – the lions share of pirated movies are watched by younger audiences, whereas the audience for The Expendables is skewed older. Other important factors in its disappointing performance include franchise fatigue and the misjudged PG-13 rating.

Earlier this year Producer Avi Lerner confirmed that The Expendables 4 and The Expendables 5 were in the pipeline, and it seemed like everything was full steam ahead. Glen Powell’s intention was that it wouldn’t be long until shooting started on the next movie.

Jackie Chan has already been approached for the fourth film, should it happen. In an interview with Den of Geek, he confirmed that he’s agreed to be involved in the next movie, if only because of Stallone’s persistence.

“This morning I did hear – the office called – Sly wants me for Expendables 4,” he said. “I said ‘Okay’. Because they already asked me to be in two and three, but I refused. Well, I didn’t refuse, but I said, ‘Sly, can’t we just do you and me? Not just a bunch of people and me only coming out for five minutes.’ Because then the audience is, ‘Oh!’ and then I’m gone.”

Chan’s certainly not alone. Pierce Brosnan confirmed in March that he’d agreed to star in a future Expendables sequel, and Stallone has since teased his name for movie number four, along with Hulk Hogan’s.

Another unsurprising choice is Dwayne Johnson, who Stallone has also expressed interest in getting on the team. It remains to be seen if Sly’s dream can come true on this one, but in a Reddit AMA “The Rock” said he’d consider it, but that he’d want to play a villain. Or, as he put it, “I want to hunt every single one of them down and tell them to ‘send your soul to heaven cause your ass is mine.'”

Steven Seagal is another ageing action hero who’s long overdue an appearance. Earlier this year there was a rumour that Seagal might sign to play the fourth film’s main antagonist, but we wouldn’t get your hopes up just yet. Then there’s Robert De Niro, another one Stallone says he wants on the bill. De Niro is one we’d especially love to see, but we’ll just have to wait and see if he’s willing to bite.

What (and probably most importantly) who would you like to see in The Expendables 4? Is it time to take the franchise in a new direction? Let us know in the comments.

Sources: RCN TVExpendables Premiere, Reddit, E! News

• VC said

It would be great to see Donnie Yen, Lee Byung Hun, Choi Seung Hyun to add for the 4th Expendables. How about Vinnie Jones, Michael Jai White and Danny Dyer…

• Sean Curtin said

If there’s 4 people I would love to see in Expendables 4 it’s:

1. Mr. T (Come on, he’s the toughest man in the world. Bring back Mr T, to the big screen).
    2. Jackie Chan(thankfully he’s been offered a role continuously).
    3. Donnie Yen (Amazing martial artist, watch ‘Ip Man’ if you don’t believe me).
    4. Bolo Yeung(The man who made the movie ‘Bloodsport’ a hit and kick started Van Damnes career).

These 4 people would really make an Expendables movie pure gold(not that there not already. Absolutely loving them all and can’t wait for the next 1. To hell with the ratings etc. 1,2 and 3 are all brilliant and any critic who says other wise has no taste.

• mark dart said

Anytime these monumental actors can get together and do action films like this I can guarantee I will be there to watch it in the theater, rent it and eventually purchase the movie. These are all actors I grew up with and I will watch them to the end of time.So will my friends,parents,kids. Awesome movie, fun to watch and just get lost in it. Sorta like Red one and Red two. Don’t stop…It is as good as anything else these days…

• Paul Fetch said

I know Stallone d wanted Kurt Russell and Clint Eastwood but both were a no go. I think The Rock would be a kickass villain, Robert De Niro would be great to see in this franchise too. Stallone also wanted Jack Nicholson who was actually interested. I think Liam Neeson, Tom Cruise, Nicolas Cage, Steven Seagal, Ving Rhames, Denzel Washington and if they could convince to come out of retirement for a quick cameo, Sean Connery. I can See Sean charcter doing like what they did with Chuck Norris( Booker), and Denzel being one of the shady guys like Bruce willis (Church). I went to Theatre to see the third one and I thought it was awesome. 2.2 million people watching it for free before it comes out to theatres will definitely cost a movie to lose millions of dollars. So I Still have high Hopes for Expendables 4 and 5 and hope that they still get made.

• james said

why don’t they try Brad Pitt,Tom Cruise,or Daniel Craig..and Pierce Brosnan…put the together to the villain..just to match the expendables..and also Robert De Niro as the main villain.

• Jonni said

To be honest, i friggin love to death this series, mainly because im an 85′ child all the action stuff in the 90’s made my childhood, altho if show in asia the dream team asians would b jackie chan, jet li, tony jaa, rain(from ninja assassin), rick yune, robin shou(mortal kombat), chow yun fat and for kicks, freddy wong.

• Binge said

I agree with most of these but Kurt Russell and Chow Yun Fat definitely should make an appearance

• chris said

Micheal Jai White should definitely be in the next 2 if they make em

• danny said

Jackie chan,denzel washington,chuck norris,the rock,vin diesel,hulk hogan,robert de niro,norman reedus,liam neeson,ice cube would be badass,im not saying put all of them just some of them these are all badass people.

• James said

Robert downey junior

• Roger J. said

I would like to see Kurt Russell play a Snake Pliskin type role in the movie as a retired soldier out to help Stallone and his group take on the bad guys .

• Frances said

love all three hope there will be a 4.Great actors,just got leaked can’t wait to see it.

• Expendable Fan said

I would like to see more than 1 badguy. And some new ”old” faces from the 80s & 90s. There must be a Expendables 4 en 5, maybe 6. I would like to see new stars like:

Dwayne johnson(the Rock), Jackie Chan, John Travolta(bad guy),Hulk Hogan, John Cena(WWE), Vinnie Jones, Danny Trejo, Chuck Norris, Mickey Rourke, Cris Hemsworth(Thor), Channing Tatum, Tony Yaa(Ong Bak), Michael Jai White, Scot Atkins(again), Some Ninjas, Some good WWE/MMA guys & chicks, Maybe steven Seagal and Jean Cleaude Van Damme again of course!

More Fight scenes with: Jason Statham(VS Tony Yaa?), Wesley Snipes(VS Ninjas?), Jet Li(VS Tony Yaa?), Stallone, WWE fightscene: Randy courture VS another WWE star?, More bad chicks!!!!!! Catfights!!!

Locations: China/Japan, Africa, India/pakistan, South America. Plane, Boat, Train, Roofs, metro station, mountan?? Make it Epic!
    This all must be 2 movies together: Expendables 4 & 5! Keep going on! 😉

• Expendable Fan said

Oh I forgot to think about movie plots: Some revenge stories will be good for Expendables 4 & 5. Just like the story of Fast & the Furious 7. The brother – brother thing.

• suzanna said

I want to see all of the original actors i love everyone on the set. But Stallone and Jason Statham make the whole movie work. Great humor, great actors.J