The Expendables 4 – Sequel Plans

The Expendables 4 - Sequel Plans, Cast Rumors

The Expendables 3 has just been unleashed unto the world, with its most impressive and hard-boiled lineup of stars yet. But will any of the actors still be alive for The Expendables 4? And if so, who can we expect to see?

The third film didn’t have a particularly strong opening weekend, bringing in just $15.9m. Compare that to the first’s $35m and the second’s $28m and you see a concerning downward slope. Then there’s the rumoured $90 production budget and things start looking very shaky for the series continuing. But this sort of franchise lives on home rental/downloads and when you have a brand that gets people talking, it’s unlikely that Hollywood is going to walk away completely from this franchise. Will that mean another movie? Or a lower-budget spin-off? Or a TV show? The studio will wait for those home rental figures before deciding. The leaking of a dvd-quality version of the movie, which was watched by over two million people before the movie landed in cinemas, will impact all these figures, though it’s near impossible to assess how much. It may not be as much as assumed – the lions share of pirated movies are watched by younger audiences, whereas the audience for The Expendables is skewed older. Other important factors in its disappointing performance include franchise fatigue and the misjudged PG-13 rating.

Earlier this year Producer Avi Lerner confirmed that The Expendables 4 and The Expendables 5 were in the pipeline, and it seemed like everything was full steam ahead. Glen Powell’s intention was that it wouldn’t be long until shooting started on the next movie.

Jackie Chan has already been approached for the fourth film, should it happen. In an interview with Den of Geek, he confirmed that he’s agreed to be involved in the next movie, if only because of Stallone’s persistence.

“This morning I did hear – the office called – Sly wants me for Expendables 4,” he said. “I said ‘Okay’. Because they already asked me to be in two and three, but I refused. Well, I didn’t refuse, but I said, ‘Sly, can’t we just do you and me? Not just a bunch of people and me only coming out for five minutes.’ Because then the audience is, ‘Oh!’ and then I’m gone.”

Chan’s certainly not alone. Pierce Brosnan confirmed in March that he’d agreed to star in a future Expendables sequel, and Stallone has since teased his name for movie number four, along with Hulk Hogan’s.

Another unsurprising choice is Dwayne Johnson, who Stallone has also expressed interest in getting on the team. It remains to be seen if Sly’s dream can come true on this one, but in a Reddit AMA “The Rock” said he’d consider it, but that he’d want to play a villain. Or, as he put it, “I want to hunt every single one of them down and tell them to ‘send your soul to heaven cause your ass is mine.'”

Steven Seagal is another ageing action hero who’s long overdue an appearance. Earlier this year there was a rumour that Seagal might sign to play the fourth film’s main antagonist, but we wouldn’t get your hopes up just yet. Then there’s Robert De Niro, another one Stallone says he wants on the bill. De Niro is one we’d especially love to see, but we’ll just have to wait and see if he’s willing to bite.

What (and probably most importantly) who would you like to see in The Expendables 4? Is it time to take the franchise in a new direction? Let us know in the comments.

Sources: RCN TVExpendables Premiere, Reddit, E! News

• James Hatfield said

Id love to see an female version. there is more than enough female action stars for this.

• sherry said

Nicholas Cage, John Travolta, Liam Neeson, and The Rock.

• ruiz said

i hope manny pacquiao will also be a part of the team

• D said

Perfect villain role – CHARLIE SHEEN
    Where does Robert Patrick (Terminator 2) fit in with the action movie all-stars? And there needs to be more humor like 2 with all the references to old characters and movies they have all been in.

• Dave said

Bring back Mickey Rourke. Would love to see him play a larger role than he did in first Expendables. Was disappointed he didn’t appear in 2 and 3.

• Kimberly Baker said

I think it would be great to see another one I would go see it

• jo said

I would like to see Carl Weathers (Apollo Creed and Action Jackson), Nicolas cage, Lucy Liu, Linda Hamilton (Terminator 1 and 2) Sean Connery, Tom Cruise, Gerard Butler, Robert Dinero, and Jackie Chan. All of them be involved somehow but that will never happen. There are still so many actors to choose from with huge names.

• Kimberly Baker said

I love the expandables movies they should keep makingthem

• Simon said

Truth is I’m a 80’s action fan and exp one or hundred and one don’t care love them

• darren said

I think they should ask Al Pacino, Colin Farrell as well

• jeffery w.pinkley said

John cena clint Eastwood,jackie chan,tony jaa,Cynthia rothrock,don the dragon wilson,Arnold of course,and stallone,and stathem,and dolph,plus steven. Seagal,and shannon lee,brandon lee’s. Little. Sister,van damme,as twin brother of the character van damme played in part two,gary busey,also nick nolte,if he is ok health wise,bolo yueng,plus the under taker,and van damme’s daughter bianca van varenburg.plus the lead bad guy in the crow.

• timj1962 said

Okay, I’d love to see Danny Trejo, Kurt Russel and Robert DeNiro in this movie, but I also think actors like Kevin Costner, Woody Harrelson and Wil Smith could be great as well.

• jim pargo said

well i loved all 3 of these movies the man i would like to see join the team is jack bower kiepher sutherland and well mabe me lol

• keith said

everyone knows him these day. and is the real thing and he has done so much for this country! so why not at least ask him! how bout Marcus lutrell! theres your badass to put in! talk about boosting the ratings. id bet the movie would do better than the first.

• Cesar said

So I just finished watching expendables 1through 3
    I immediately went online in hope to finding
    out that there would be more movies on the way. It would be
    A major let down if there wasn’t. I love each and every single one
    Of these actors. This is by far one of my favorite action movies!!!