Top 10 Werewolf Movies

top 10 best werewolf movies
Werewolves have been a part of fiction since Medieval times, and werewolf films have been around since 1913. As we approach a century of lycanthropes in cinema, let’s take a look at the top 10 best werewolf movies ever made…

10. Silver Bullet

10 best werewolf movies

‘Silver Bullet’ was based on the Stephen King novella ‘Cycle of the Werewolf’, and helmed by Daniel Attias. Odd choice, as he was best known at the time for directing ‘Miami Vice’.

Unusually for a werewolf movie, ‘Silver Bullet’ isn’t told from the point of view of the werewolf, but rather from the ordinary brother and sister caught up in its small town killing spree. The werewolf is out and out evil, both in human and beast form. Unusual too is that it’s a whodunit mystery – no one knows which member of the community is howling at the moon.

With a standout performance by Gary Busey as Uncle Red, ‘Silver Bullet’ should be high on any list of guilty pleasures.

best werewolf movies
9th Place >

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

• amy said

these friggin movies are scary mate go to images and go to(werewolfs pictures)

friggin hell scary

• g.d.smith said

bad moon(1996) is a pretty good werewolf movie. I also think the Hitcher plays like a werewolf film of sorts. The John Rider caracter seems more cursed than evil and is plainly trying to get C Thomas Howell to kill him. Intrestingly towards the end when rider jumps from the police van there is a distinct growl on the soundtrack. I also think that Rider is trying to turn Howell into a killer to pass on his curse, he singles him out because he’s also drifter.

Sheridan Passell

Interesting theory on The Hitcher, g.d. I’ll have to watch again now, great movie.

• John J. said

Van helsing was lame but Underworld and Rise of the Lycans deserve mention, and their werewolves were awesome.

• John J. said

I mean underworld was at least as good as dog soldiers.

• g.d.smith said

Underworld is no where near as good as Dog Soldiers. It’s one of those post-matrix high gloss, everything blacker than everything else type films. Dog Soldiers is funny, light on its feet and inventive. It also shows how low budgets actually improve horror movies by allowing them to be things other than moody. Feast and Splinter are other good examples of this. Underworld has exactly the same look as Constantine and a faux seriousness that runs through too many big budget horror films. Lack of humour is not the same thing as serious. Obviously, Underworld is not bad, but this mainly comes down to Kate Beckensale in a rubber suite and a couple of good action set pieces.

• Carycomic said

I must disagree. This was neither worthy nor respectable.

The plot sounds like a Roman Polansky version of “Little Red Riding Hood” (which is definitely NOT a good thing). And, Angela Lansbury–who is on record as deploring ultra-violent movies like this one–must have been having money troubles if she agreed to waste her considerable talents on this!

Now, “The Beast Must Die,” from Hammer Films? THAT would have been a truly worthier addition for this spot! A combination of “Ten Little Indians” and “The Most Dangerous Game,” starring Calvin Lockhart and Peter Cushing. With a man-eating werewolf thrown in for good measure.

• g.d.smith said

Ah, yes the Beast Must Die. Begs the obvious question.
    Werewolf?
    There! WOLF!

• CLINT TITUS said

When I first saw this movie I ran out of the theather and ran all the way home when O.Reed started turning while locked in that cell with that old man still in there. And I still haven’t gotten to see the rest of the movie.I’ll see one of these days,maybe it will come on amc or tmc.Nice web page “wolf buddies”.

• Gwiz said

What about “Werewolf” the tv series from the 80’s do you guys remember that one? I seem to remember it being good. I have to check out Ginger Snaps.

• mutant said

i’ve always been partial to the movie ‘Cursed’ . It’s just a fun modern werewolf movie

• Thom said

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban has lots of cool werewolf bits in it. It makes a good introduction for younger kids:-)

Also, I can’t believe no-one has mentioned this yet but … Teen-Wolf! That is a great comedy, still makes me laugh today.

No doubt the Twilight fans will want to add New Moon (when it comes out) to this but from the look of the trailer the Men seem to just turn into wolves rather than some half-man, half-wolf combo.

• stiltruble said

In my veiw the best eva werewolf im from london,and i used to drive thru and let me tell u the moors r scary even more so those tiny pubs what i rteally like bout the movie apart from the underground scean cos thatts scary too is seeing rik mayal in his first rolr in the slaughterd lamb pub scean,silver bullet, dog soilders nand the howling…forget ammerican wwf 2 its bollox

• Heather R-G said

A good list to be sure, however for me the transformation scene in American Werewolf in London fell a bit short. I was much more impressed by the one in The Howling – I mean, they barely even cut away at all!

• Gwiz said

Ok. I just watched Dog Soldiers. It was a pretty good movie. I didn’t like that they had 2 surprise werewolves, and the explosion at the end was waaay to big to be from the gas stove. I think “Silver Bullet” might be too low on this list. I mean that preacher is way creepy.