Top 10 Werewolf Movies

top 10 best werewolf movies
Werewolves have been a part of fiction since Medieval times, and werewolf films have been around since 1913. As we approach a century of lycanthropes in cinema, let’s take a look at the top 10 best werewolf movies ever made…

10. Silver Bullet

10 best werewolf movies

‘Silver Bullet’ was based on the Stephen King novella ‘Cycle of the Werewolf’, and helmed by Daniel Attias. Odd choice, as he was best known at the time for directing ‘Miami Vice’.

Unusually for a werewolf movie, ‘Silver Bullet’ isn’t told from the point of view of the werewolf, but rather from the ordinary brother and sister caught up in its small town killing spree. The werewolf is out and out evil, both in human and beast form. Unusual too is that it’s a whodunit mystery – no one knows which member of the community is howling at the moon.

With a standout performance by Gary Busey as Uncle Red, ‘Silver Bullet’ should be high on any list of guilty pleasures.

best werewolf movies
9th Place >

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

• Adrianna said

I was watching a movie with my cousins the other day but didn’t get to finish the end, It was a really awesome, werewolf/vamp one,
    They live in like this big castle and the werewolves/Lycans are slaves for the Vampires, but the first ever lycan falls in love with the vampire royal sonja. And the werewolves try to escape, and she was going to go with Lucian the first lycan, her love, but her father finds out and imprisons her. Lucian goes back to try and save her but her father condemneds her to death and make Lucian watch.
    REALLY good film anyone have a clue what it is?
    It would be really helpful it should be on the list! Thanks.

• Heather said

Adrianna – sound like Underworld: Rise of the Lycans.
    Shreela – I’ve seen Brotherhood of the Wolf, it’s a pretty interesting period piece. It’s originally in French, but you can watch it with english dubbing. There are some pretty thrilling attack scenes, and also some nice fight scenes (especially for a period movie); however this is not a werewolf movie in the strictest sense – assuming you haven’t seen it I won’t go any further with that comment, but I do suggest you watch it.

• vas said

omg no “BAD MOON” ??? thats 1 of the best werewolf movies i ever seen in my life! It is 1994 i believe! If you get a chance TAKE IT! AND WATCH THAT MOVIE! U’ll love it.

• Paul Same said

I see another would-be critic is swooning for the painfully overrated “American Werewolf in London.” Yes, I grant that the transformation sequences are incredible. However, they only last for a few minutes. The rest of the movie is just a rehashing of stale werewolf movie cliches. The horror is the typical mixture of gore and “jump-out-and-kill-you” scenes that characterized 80’s horror movies (and almost killed off the genre entirely). And then there’s the supposed dark humor which really isn’t that humorous.

Do yourself a favor. Skip “American Werewolf in London,” and watch “Dog Soldiers” instead.

• Richard Fitzgerald said

I really liked the move “The Wolfman” starring Lon Chaney and Maria Ouspenskia. Is there a way I can watch it on my computer monitor?

• Nannz said

Hey can someone please help me. I am not really looking for a wolf movie but I cant seem to get the name of the movie. The plot goes like this :-
    A group of college friends send mails to everyone in the college ( I hope its college not sure if it’s high school ) that there is a serial killer on loose named the wolf ( if I am not wrong ) and they describe how each of their friends are going to get killed by him, and soon enough their friends start getting killed the same way.

can someone please be kind enough to tell me the name of the movie..?
    Thank You for your time. 🙂

• Hannahisawesome13 said

Love this movie so much =)

• Nick C said

hey people,
    i m also in the same boat as Amanda is, back in 2000 i watched a movie of werewolf and loved it, i missed the title and am hoping if any one can help……
    The movie is about this 7-8 people who have a scar or a birth mark on their left hand and they have something to do with the werewolf theory, so they are moved to this place it’s like a old castle.next one of these who is a werewolf starts killing these people one by one and no one has a clue as what is happening and who is killing their friends.finally only 2 of them survive one guy and the other one is this girl, who is in actually the werewolf. it is shown at the very end when it is full moon day and the girl is in the arms of this guy and she looks at the moon n smiles….
    If any one has watched this movie i am talking about, please let me know, i would love to watch is again…
    thanks

• Adrianna said

thx heather

• Bill the Butcher said

On a purely personal basis, I’d call Ginger Snaps Unleashed the best single werewolf movie I’ve ever seen and one of the best horror movies I’ve ever seen. It’s certainly head and shoulders over the other two parts of the trilogy, and would be even better if they left Ginger out entirely and concentrated on Brigitte. The end did seem slightly rushed, but the twist was brutal and completely unexpected. The acting is great, and the werewolf both extremely dangerous and not spoiled by overexposure or campiness.

• DeenaH said

some movies i noticed u missed r (the feeding, ginger snaps back, ginger snaps back the beginning, american werewolf in paris, teen wolf,blood and chocolate, and the underworld series)

• Ingrid said

What about blood and chocolate it took werewolves to a more realistoc trasformation I never really could swallow the whole half man half wolf to me being a werewolf should be the real deal u can be a real wol or human. I love that movie!

• AGCG said

Does anyone know if Robert R. McCammon’s Wolf’s Hour has been made into a film yet?

• AGCG said

Pity. Damned good Werewolf book! Thought it’d at least be a made-for-tv-mini-series by now . . .somewhere in the world.

Have noticed, on both this and the Ghost listing, that there is a very small number of titles suggested by commenters, and that the same titles are mentioned again and again. As genres, would seem they have been overlooked by production houses, or there just isn’t many good titles about.

Have, in the company of friends, tried to watch Underworld twice now, but conversation took over and before we new it the credits were rolling. Reads as if I should try again, sans companions.

• Ingrid said

There is another warewolf book that no one has said anything about, The Passion by Donna Boyd that book is the kind of book that takes you away into the life of warewolves in a way that you can’t imagine,I will read it again,the second stallment to it is The Promise. The passion would probably meke a wonderful film. But definetely rated R or MA lol it has very powerful erotic scenes in it. I do like a book that makes your imagination soar in the most realistic way. I hope I hear about someone reading that book,and for those of you that likes warewolves once you start reading the passion its really hard to stop. I definetely recomend it.