Top 10 Star Wars Quotes (and what makes them great)

Best Star Wars Quotes

Aside from the obvious famous Star Wars quotes such as “Use the Force, Luke” and “I am your father,” the Star Wars movies really do hide some literary gems within their screenplays, which, in some cases, are beautifully delivered.

I have thus compiled a list of ten Star Wars quotes based on a number of qualities; delivery, style, humour, meaning, poetic nature, importance and charisma. I did not want to simply include a regurgitated top ten with “I am your father” at number one – we all know and love those kinds of quotes. This list is a more speculative look at the whole series, including quotes that define characters, plots, and do everything from send chills down the spine to positively inspire generations of fellow nerds.

Hopefully this list will conjure thought, review, memory and debate amongst us all. Enjoy!

10. “When 900 years old, you reach… Look as good, you will not.”

Top 10 Star Wars Quotes

Film: Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi
Who: Yoda to Luke Skywalker
What makes it great?
In cinema, the Degoba system is possibly one of the most ambitious and atmospheric sets ever made, especially at the time of production in the late 70s/ early 80s. The swamp-ish scenery and aged frailty of Yoda’s appearance emphasises a beautiful theme in the Star Wars films – the past. The past is a theme that the original saga concentrates on a lot in terms of narrative and plot, and the visits to Yoda in Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi personify (or more accurately, Yodafy) this theme in the character of Yoda and the decaying nature of his home. Luke is trained in the Force by a slowly dying master, whose wisdom knows no boundaries. This whole context is summed up in this beautiful, quirky and humorous quote from Yoda that reveals his age, his connection to Luke’s past and his modest and humble personality as a shaman-esqsue old prophet.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Our Latest Review - Gone Girl

• Josh said

Star Wars never did subtle; ESB, alone, did subtle.

• Onkodjinn said

I dunno about #1. to me it always felt like taking the cheap way out. i don’t think it illuminated the weakness of anything but itself. especially considering that it was originally a sith lord that discovered the way to live eternally (according to episode 3 i believe).

the jedi (as the polar opposite of the sith) were every bit as incorrect as they claimed the sith to be (its like being atheist- those with faith dont KNOW for certain that there is a god but make the assertion that there is- atheists make the assertion that there isn’t when they can’t prove their point of view either).

there is no such thing as good or evil anyway. without “darkness”, there would be no reason to appreciate the “light”. if you never got hurt, how would you know when something was pleasurable? if you fell in love but had never experienced heart break, how could you tell you were in love in the first place? there is no up without the down.

• wamprat said

i agree with the humour aspects. the new movies, although they are good, are all special effects and massive fight scenes that lack the subtle and ironic humour that the originals contain making them far superior.
    thanks for the list and the reasons as well :D

• Rich said

OK i have looked around for Star Wars quotes and none have what has to be the most famous line “You don’t know the power of the dark side”

• mat said

NO, I AM YOUR FATHER OMFG ARE U PPL RETARTED

• pj said

great list here’s two

Padme Amidala to Bail Organa:
    So this is how liberty dies…With thunderus applause.

Chancellor Palpatine to Anikin:
    I have the power to save the one you love.

• Matt said

IT’S A TRAP

thats my favorite line

• Matt Coakley said

You missed the one that I live to this day by Yoda. “Do or Do Not, There is no Try”!

• diploc3po said

Excellent.
    I was looking for the best quotes and your thoughts guided me away from the most “attractive” ones.
    If you like critical comments, and I assume you do, even more could be said about number six. We should comment.

• fanboy st1r said

You do not know the power of the dark side !

• agree said

you all live in your parents basement you geeks >:(

• William A said

I think Count Dooku’s Quote from Episode III Revenge of the sith should be in there, “Twice the pride, double the fall” – which was a reply to Anakin Skywalker “My powers have doubled since the last time we met Count” – During their Battle.

• reader said

I have to agree with quote #1. I’ve always felt that Obi Wan’s words were inspirational. Sometimes people have an effect after death more powerful, inspirational, and permanent, than they would have in life.

• Willem de Leeuw said

A couple of the the Emperor’s lines in Jedi are good when he’s zapping Luke:

‘Young fool, only now, at the end, do you understand…’

‘You’ve paid the price for your lack of vision!’

• John said

“The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.” That’s my favorite quote. It says a lot about Vader and what people throughout the movie think of the force.