Funny People Box Office Results3.08.09 # Box Office # One Comment
Funny People was number 1 at the box office over the weekend, but no one involved is going to be laughing very hard.
$23m was the take, but Adam Sandler is used to openings in the $30-40m range. Yes it was a drama, but given the wealth of hot comic talent in the cast, and the $75m budget, it has to be seen as a disappointment.
Funny People was no doubt hurt by trailers and posters which were decidedly vague, never giving a clear sense of the story was or the idea behind it. Where there was a hint of a story (Adam Sandler might be dying), it was a depressing one. This is in sharp contrast to Judd Apatow’s other two directorial efforts 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up, which were both based on strong female-orientated concepts.
Last week’s number one G-Force slid to third place, leapfrogged by Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Potter was given a boost by its launch onto 166 IMAX screens. The general consensus on the new Potter seems to be it’s the best one/the worst one/better than the book/worse than the book. It has little chance of beating Transformers 2 for the highest grossing film of the year in the U.S..
Meanwhile, Fox’s new CGI-heavy comedy Aliens in the Attic splashed into a lowly fifth place (c’mon kids! It’s got Ashley Tisdale from High School Musical!) and both The Hangover and The Proposal continued to hold inside the top ten. The sleeper hits are strong this summer.
U.S. Weekend Box Office (July 31–August 2)
1. [New] Funny People - – $23.4m
2. [2.] Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince – - $17.7m [total $255m]
3. [1.] G-Force – - $17m [total $66m]
4. [3.] The Ugly Truth – - $13,000,000 [total $54m]
5. [New] Aliens in the Attic – - $7.8m
6. [4.] Orphan – - $7.2m [total $26m]
7. [5.] Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs – - $5.3m [total $181m]
8. [7.] The Hangover – - $5m [total $255m]
9. [8.] The Proposal – - $4.8m [total $148m]
10. [6.] Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen – - $4.6m [total $388m]
Source: Box Office Mojo