Home » News

Guillermo Del Toro Talks Frankenstein

guillermo-del-toro-frankenstein-picGuillermo Del Toro must now officially be the busiest man in Hollywood. He has projects lined up, back-to-back, until 2017. Of the projects he’s currently working on, the one that really caught my eye (seeing as I’m a sucker for all things horror-related) was a remake/reimagining of the 1931 classic ‘Frankenstein’.

Lucky for me then, that at a recent meeting with the Director’s Guild of America, Del Toro was heard to spill the beans as to what kind of direction he would be taking the film. Amid lots of talk about his upcoming Hobbit adaptation he stated:

“I’m not doing ‘Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein.’ I’m doing an adventure story that involves the creature. I cannot say much, but it’s not the central creation story, I’m not worried about that. The fact is I’ve been dreaming of doing a ‘Frankenstein’ movie since I was a child.”

Then, in a sly nod to the critically panned 1994 adaptation said:

The one thing I can promise is, compared to Kenneth Branagh, I will not appear shirtless in the movie!”

It appears that Del Toro is following in Peter Jackson’s King Kong sized footsteps again, remaking a film that he has loved since childhood and he has admitted to being a huge influence on his career (Del Toro apparently owns busts of Boris Carloff as the Monster). The difference here seems to be that where Jackson’s Kong remake was a straight re-telling of the original story, it appears Del Toro’s Frankenstein will put the famous monster in places and situations we have never seen (or possibly even dreamt of) before.

As a general rule, I think that remakes should be kept to an absolute minimum, there’s no need in my eyes to re-film a story when there is a perfectly good movie of that story already in existence (though I admit that on a few occasions, the remake has exceeded the original in terms of quality). However, I am less skeptical of films that use established characters as a springboard to create an original experience, such as John Carpenter’s The Thing, and this seems to be the direction Del Toro is heading. I’m very interested to see what he can come up with for the Frankenstein character, I admit that when I first read that he was doing ‘an adventure story’ my mind immediately jumped to Frankenstein Conquers The World. Unfortunately I doubt Del Toro could possibly live up to such a masterpiece.

Source: ComingSoon

Our Latest Review - Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

• stinkingbob said

Here’s the deal: people do not want to see another Frankenstein remake.
    There have been dozens of them done already. Lets have some original movies made, please. If del toro makes it, I definitely won’t watch it. Why? Because I know exactly will happen.
    Here’s the movie: scientist studies life. Goes to graveyard and digs up bodies to get body parts. Sews makeshift parts together to create Frankenstein. Reanimates it. Frakenstein is as dumb as a rock. Falls in love with scientist’s assistant.
    Cops investigate murder and blames recent murders/grave robberies on scientist.
    Mob ensures. GOes to scientists house. Frankenstien kidnaps girl and dies in the end. So there ya go. Plot line. Del torro fills in the blanks. Same boring story done over and over and over. Now, what I would want to see is Frankenstein vs the werewolf vs the dracula which would be a remake of an older movie. That would be awesome.

Frankenstein vs Werewolf vs Dracula = Van Helsing

• bath mang said

Is this still going ahead? Del Toro would make a good Frankenstein film. Easy… and it’s about time, too, what with the last good Frankenstein adaptation being maybe the Christopher Lee one, which was a long, long, long time ago.

Last I heard it was, but he has other projects first, not least The Hobbit, so it wouldn’t be for many years.

• Joker said

I saw WolfMan and it surpassed the original in everyway. So why not give Frankstein a chance?The story for this will probally be fresh and new.(For those who don’t know,Creature of the Black Lagoon is getting the remake treatment too.)

• Richard Zimmerman said

The spelling of the actor’s name who played the Frankenstein monster in 1931 is “Karloff,” not “Carloff.”

• charles ingoglia said

I loved the Karloff version as just a movie monster story. However, I would love to see the Frankenstein movie true to Mary Shelly’s novel – Frankenstein’s creation was intelligent as well as frightening, vengeful, and undying. Dr. Frankenstein saw his creation as the potential beginning of a race of super humans (if he agreed to make him a mate) that would eventually replace humans.