Movie Moron
September 21, 2014, 04:07:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brad Dourif back for Child's Play remake  (Read 1983 times)
Dom Duncombe

View Profile Email
« on: August 25, 2008, 07:24:07 PM »

As is the trend in Hollywood these days, the beloved horror/comedy franchise is slated for a remake, but luckily the creator is smart enough to figure out what makes the series work and stick with it by hiring character actor Brad Dourif to continue to voice the psychotic doll Chucky.

From AICN:
"who would you get that’s better? I mean with Chucky so much of it… and David [Kirschner, the producer] and I talk about this a lot, that because he’s a puppet, there’s an aspect of him that feels like he’s an animated character, so his voice is such an immense part of it as well as what he looks like. It’s almost like recasting Homer Simpson or something. If you could recast it, you would want the actor to sound kind of like it, but it would feel weird to just be completely different I think.

Bride of Chucky is one of my favourite horror/comedies of recent years, full of over the top gore and horror in-jokes, as well as the cheesy one liners Chucky is famous for, but apparently with the new remake the creators are doing away with the comedy aspect of the series and making it a full on horror. Personally I think the idea of a doll posessed by a dead serial killer is inherantly funny, and I can't see it working very well if they take themselves too seriously, but maybe that's just me. We'll find out Fall 2010 at the earliest.

Source: AICN
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 08:19:03 PM »

That's great news. I hope they change Chucky's terrible origin story (a criminal who's shot in a toy store gets struck by lightning).

To celebrate, here's the Chucky song -

Personally, I feel the opposite on the tone, I could do without the humour. None of the films have captured how eerie the concept could be. The first movie had fleeting moments of it - eg in the video there where she's holding it and it suddenly turns its head, says "Hi, I'm Chucky" and rolls backwards under the couch.
Tyler Lovemark

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 08:41:12 PM »

Yeah, the creepiest part of that movie is easily when she realizes there aren't any batteries in the toy.  Rest of the movie, meh.
MissyVonDoll

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 07:25:40 AM »

I always loved this movie for the comedy element they added to it.  So will they be keeping that in the remake version, or are they going to focus on making it actual 'horror' movie?
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:40:24 PM »

It's interesting to compare the actual trailer for the first one with the most recent trailer, for Seed Of Chucky. The tonal shift is pretty amazing. I'd really rather see the former than the latter.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: