Movie Moron
June 20, 2018, 11:09:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: David Fincher films....  (Read 6576 times)
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« on: September 01, 2008, 05:27:49 PM »

The things that I didnt really like about Zodiac was that it drug on really long and the story reached a point where it stood still and the plot didnt go too much farther, if you know what I mean?  But like I said I am a huge David Fincher fan, I love his films and the atmosphere he creates for them, he has his distinct style that cant be mimiced.  He is a modern day Stanley Kunbrick in my opinion.  I love all of his previous films, ever since he hit the scene hard with Alien 3 in 1992, that film had the best scenery and atmosphere out of all of the Alien films, but thats just my opinion.  Then he later came with Seven, that film is set to be a classic, Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman are to very talented actors who work really well with one another, they are two of my favorite actors of all time.  Plus Gwyneth Paltrow and Kevin Spacey made excellent additions to this film, and you cant forget R. Lee Ermey's role in the movie too.  After Seven he released The Game with Michael Douglas, it also had a nice cast, Sean Penn, Deborah Kara Unger, James Rebhorn and many more, overall that movie was very good and sits in my collection very nicely.  When he came out with Fight Club, it was a major hit amoung people all over the nation!  Fight Club had an amazing cast, Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, Helen Bonham Carter, Meat Loaf and many more talented actors that lit up the screen, it was a great sucess that is still talked about to this day.  I really liked Panic Room which was his next release, that movie was awesome and it had an excellent cast as well, Jodi Foster, Forest Whitaker, Kristen Stewart, Dwight Yokam, Jared Leto and many more!  Fincher's last release was Zodiac but his next one is set to come out this December, it is called The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, it is about a man who ages backwards, and he is played by Brad Pitt, the movie also stars Tilda Swinton, Cate Blanchett, Elle Fanning and many more.  I am very excited for this films release and have been since about a year ago when I first learned about it.  His future release is set for 2009 and it is titled Rendezvous with Rama, it stars Morgan Freeman and is about a team of astronauts that are sent on a missoin to explore a giant spaceship heading towards the sun.  The film is based on a novel by Arthur C. Clarke who wrote the Story for 2001: A Space Odyssey, (like I said Fincher is our modern day Stanley Kunbrick).

Well write me your thoughts and comments on this piece and David Fincher!!!

Thanks alot!

-T.ROSS PRODUCTIONS

Tyler Lovemark

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 06:49:56 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of Fincher.  I don't like Alien 3, but it is one of the best looking bad movies, and the hassles he had with production makes it easier to understand where it went off track.  I'm a huge Ridley Scott whore, so I guess it's a given that I like the original the most.  I mostly watch it at night.  Mostly.

Se7en is my favorite Fincher film closely followed by Zodiac.  I wasn't a huge fan of Fight Club.  Found it somewhat overrated.  But I am so looking forward to Benjamin Button.  The trailer has enticed me so much and the whole premise is just fantastic.  The great cast is also a huge draw.  Cate Blanchett will be my wife one day.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 06:51:20 PM »

I do know what you mean T.Ross about the pacing in Zodiac, it's certainly most exciting at the beginning. It goes from a serial killer movie into a 'procedure drama' (like All The Presidents Men), which is very unusual. I've seen so many damn movies I found the unconventional nature of it pretty refreshing but I can completely see why it would drag for most people. I also found the subject matter incredibly interesting.

We've done a couple of stories on Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which looks like incredible filmmaking.

I didn't know about the one after that. I would love to see Fincher do a proper sci-fi (Alien 3 doesn't count) so I'm really looking forward to it now.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:05:09 PM »

One of the reasons Zodiac didn't do so how was because it was a transition piece for Fincher. He's a brilliant director who has done either face paced action packed flicks (Fight Club, Alien 3) or intense thrillers (Seven, Panic Room).

Zodiac was a character drama. I loved it, though I tend to enjoy slow paced movies as long as the story progresses (Babette's Feast is one of my all time favorite films, and Meet Joe Black I like a lot as well, and 2001 I could watch almost every day).

Unfortunatly, the trailers billed Zodiac as a creepy, intense, serial killer thriller. Which is was never meant to be because no one knows a damn thing about the killer, and they only THINK they caught him. They never proved it definitively. I was impressed how that film built a nostalgic atmosphere so strongly that you wished you'd lived in the Bay area during that time! It was weird, like how everyone banded together and felt united against this evil. Very post-911-ish.

If you buy the Alien Quadrilogy and watch the extra disk for Alien 3, you'll see how the project was doomed and fincher did his best. He refused to cooperate with the "director's cut" because of what the producers did during filming. they set a release date without a script, and told the production designed to just start building cool sets and they'd write the script around the sets. not even joking, it was such a fiasco.

T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 03:13:23 PM »

Good point on pointing out that Zodiac was a character drama film, I have never thought about it like that, you defintley opened my eyes to something. dont get me wrong though I liked the movie, He directed that movie perfect. Alien 3 defintley pulled me in at first.

What do you think of The Game?
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 06:44:25 PM »

Oh man I forgot about The Game ... I only saw that once while I was in college and remember really liking it. The clown doll was freaky. Clown dolls are ALWAYS freaky.

If memory serves it was very well directed and a really fun but ludicrous screenplay.
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »

Yeah the screenplay was wild, but overall the film is really good!

Now are you siked for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button?
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 07:01:13 PM »

TOTALLY excited about Button. I can't wait for Fincher to cross over to something so heavily drama, and in what appears to be a totally different style for him.
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 02:21:35 PM »

yeah me too! I am seeing that movie Christmas Day! That will be the coolest Christmas present EVER!

-T.ROSS PRODUCTIONS
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: