Movie Moron
November 28, 2014, 01:48:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT YOU WATCHED THIS WEEK  (Read 300009 times)
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1100 on: November 11, 2011, 04:25:54 PM »

5. The same character says "Get your stinkin' paws off me you damn dirty ape" which motivates an absolutely powerful, shocking response. Placing this stolen memorable line right before such an important part of the plot was an utter disaster. They basically placed the best and worst part of their movie in the same breath and completely undermine the impact.
Annoyance Rating: 10 out of 10

I thought this moment packed a hell of a punch. It's very rare, if ever, that I hear an audience gasp.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1101 on: November 12, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »

Not for a screenwriter. Much like in comedy writing, you don't place two jokes right next to each other because they will compete with each other for laughs. Placing such a painfully obvious in-joke right before such a dramatic moment jerked my mind out of the story and made me think about how I was in a theater watching a movie, then tried to jerk me back in with a powerful moment. I was literally rolling my eyes so that was the next things happened I was momentarily confused because I wasn't even looking directly at the screen. Will the average modern film watcher be as aware of that stolen line of dialog as I was? No. Did it ruin the movie? No.  Should screenwriters lower their standards and ignore basic rules of writing just because a bunch of folks out there don't care? No, good God, no. That moment is an example of why the critics didn't love it more than they did, there's no reason to steal a good line from another movie and put it there rather than get off your ass and come up with your own powerful line. The entire point of recycling that dialog is to jerk off the fanboys, which they'd already done four other times, there was no need to risk it. And while it didn't destroy their box office or their generally positive reviews, it could have been so much more.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1102 on: November 12, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »

On this point I disagree. I knew the old line and it had a strong impact for me as a repeated line because of the scene and because it was well directed and delivered. With the line that followed I thought it was a double whammy. This is the moment that got the most animated response I think I've ever seen from a British audience, so it must have done something right.

I actually believe it's one of those movies that could have been so much less. Given what the screenwriter had to achieve so far as where the story had to start and where it had to end up, it was extremely challenging to do in a convincing way and I thought they knocked it out the park.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 13, 2011, 07:18:52 AM »

I think this is just a case of not being able to please all of the people all of the time, because I'm just as aware of that line being "stolen" wholesale from the franchise it's rebooting, but I'm pretty sure Caesar's response would've had a lesser impact in response to another line. Most people familiar with the dialogue aren't going to be rolling their eyes at what they perceive as an in-joke, they're going to be thinking 'huh, callback' and then 'whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat'. It had the desired effect for the majority of viewers.

In a lot of ways the movie is a remake of the original with the roles reversed, with the protagonist being hosed down in a cage and all those other parallels, but it's not a prequel. It's a reboot. If you're watching it and viewing it as a prequel, thinking 'no way would that turn of phrase be used coincidentally by two unrelated characters!' of course it's going to bother you.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1104 on: December 06, 2011, 09:32:12 AM »

Captain America: The First Avenger - Good. I enjoyed watching Tommy Lee Jones squirm about how much he didn't want to be there and in the first third watching Steve Rogers changing height five times per scene. His voice was too deep for a little person, it should have been altered until the transformation. His powers seemed inconsistent, sometimes he seems very ordinary, other times super-charged. But yeah it was a good job all round, solid story well told, and very well paced. Narrowly preferred Thor, in part because Loki was a slightly more interesting villain, the finale fight there was more emotionally involving. Am looking forward to The Avengers 10% more now. Sections of Iron Man 2 aside, Marvel Studios really have a great record so far.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1105 on: December 06, 2011, 02:57:01 PM »

Going to see The Thing tonight wooop.

Already watched all the transformation scenes ten times on YouTube.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1106 on: December 06, 2011, 06:15:10 PM »

The Muppet Movie - still awesome.

The Great Muppet Caper - haven't watched this since I was a kid, despite it being my favorite one. Utterly hilarious. Songs aren't as good as the first film, but it's much better directed and Charles Grodin is fantastic.

A Muppet Christmas Carol - I always knew I loved this one but watching it again ... man. Despite the singing fruit puppets, this is a VERY faithful adaptation of Dickens. It's creepy, charming, sentimental, and Michael Caine is just so damn great as Scrooge.

Rare Exports: A Christmas Story - I was VERY surprised how much I liked this movie. The short films were eerie but had no story. This has some very good acting, cinematography, character development, and plot points. Silly and serious at the same time, I love that combo. Could have gone a BIT more the comedy route, but keeping a more serious tone really made a couple of moments very scary. They shortchange the second act and the third act, as in almost every movie, depends too much on action, but the twist is great and it's still a lot of fun.

dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1107 on: December 06, 2011, 06:27:23 PM »

I think this is just a case of not being able to please all of the people all of the time, because I'm just as aware of that line being "stolen" wholesale from the franchise it's rebooting, but I'm pretty sure Caesar's response would've had a lesser impact in response to another line. Most people familiar with the dialogue aren't going to be rolling their eyes at what they perceive as an in-joke, they're going to be thinking 'huh, callback' and then 'whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat'. It had the desired effect for the majority of viewers.

In a lot of ways the movie is a remake of the original with the roles reversed, with the protagonist being hosed down in a cage and all those other parallels, but it's not a prequel. It's a reboot. If you're watching it and viewing it as a prequel, thinking 'no way would that turn of phrase be used coincidentally by two unrelated characters!' of course it's going to bother you.

This is a very good point.After reading this comment I went and fished some interviews with them off the internet. I appreciate all the research they did but really wish it had made it more into the script. I get the feeling they are very popcorn writers (hence why the movie is so fun) but weren't really worried about writing any kind of depth, which leads me to think, rather than utilizing all the great Rod Serling dialog as a fun parallel universe kinda thing they were just going "oh cool they should say that again!"

I wonder if it was that thought out by the writers, but regardless it does make sense.  I was really thinking about it as a prequel, but the origin story related in the original Apes movie is different. While I still consider it a bit of a crutch as a writer (we always borrow no matter what so best to resist as much as possible) it bothers me a LOT less now. And I'm on board with the whole "get Serkis nominated" thing.
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #1108 on: December 07, 2011, 04:43:44 AM »

I really want to see Rare Exports!!! I just watched Red State.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1109 on: December 07, 2011, 08:44:17 AM »

The Thing - If you know the first movie really well you'll like this film, it's similar enough, ties in well as a prequel, but variable enough. Obviously it's not as good, but it's done with intelligence and some real effort. It's much better than the reviews, although there are two characters too many, and the ending goes for 'slapping around the heroine' rather than straight absorbing her - lazy. Mary Elizabeth Winstead actually gives a good performance, and I like how she's not in charge of the base until quite late in the day. My advice is to watch it on the small screen. The biggest issue it has is that the huge canvas doesn't do any favours to The Thing cgi FX. They look good in hi-def on YouTube.
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #1110 on: December 07, 2011, 01:10:01 PM »

A lot of people bashed the new Thing movie.  I really liked it a lot.  Good story, good actors.  I love Carpenter's version.  I've never seen the original 1951 version.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1111 on: December 07, 2011, 01:28:03 PM »

Yeah I had a good time.

The 1951 version is horribly dated. More interesting as a piece of history than much else.
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #1112 on: December 07, 2011, 03:40:36 PM »

Yeah I like how it's playing on the TV in Carpenter's Halloween.

dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1113 on: December 08, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »

Man on Wire -  not a lot of depth, but still a beautifully made documentary. What a wild, silly story, but somehow what this man does really is beautiful. Wish it showed more of who he is as a person, not just what he does for a living/art.

The Red Shoes - how Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger aren't bigger names in Hollywood is beyond my comprehension. I mean, they certainly have some acclaim within the film world, but why they don't have worldwide name recognition like Orson Welles is just a travesty. Like Black Narcissus, The Red Shoes is a visually stunning film, though it lacks much of the character detail and social commentary of their previous work. While it takes too long to get to the point, having to cram about an hour worth of story into the final 25 minutes, you hardly notice because the overlong second act is just so well filmed and acted, and the surreal ballet sequence centerpiece is just about the best thing I've seen on film. Also, this needs to be played on a double bill with Black Swan, since Arronofsky owes a LOT to this movie.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1114 on: December 09, 2011, 09:28:50 PM »

Captain America - As with most origin stories, the character moments make this film. The scene with Tommy Lee Jones and Toby Jones in the interrogation room is phenomenal, easily the best of the movie. The first two thirds of this film are pretty damn good, I mist admit. It takes too many notes from Crystal Skull and not enough from Raiders (speaking of which, did any of you catch the Raiders reference, which essentially sets this movie within the storyverse of Indiana Jones?), but the great character interplay and likeability of Steve Rogers make it work quite well. The last half hour is a rush to the finish line and it shows. The action is dull and not very well thought out (Cap drives his motorcycle through tons of enemy fire right through the front gate and gets taken to the enemies inner chambers, only to have his team burst through the window to save him a moment later, begging the question, WHY DIDN'T THEY ALL JUST COME THROUGH THE WINDOW!!!) and, if one is really honest with themselves, the fact that he's a "super soldier" only comes into play a small portion of the time, and usually only by chance to save his ass. Other than the few times he swims down a sub or makes a giant leap, he doesn't do anything a "normal" person couldn't do with that Stark technology. They REALLY underused their premise.

All that aside, it was a really enjoyable flick and infinitely better than Thor. Makes me maybe wants to see The Avengers. Maybe.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1115 on: December 09, 2011, 10:49:58 PM »

Yeah, one of the slight disappointments in an otherwise very enjoyable movie is he is only 'super-powered' quite rarely and it's inconsistent. The vast majority of the time he could just be as ordinary as Indiana Jones, with the usual protagonist's luck. Joss Whedon directed the after-the-credits scene of him going super-ape on the punching bag and that's more the sort of thing I want to see.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1116 on: December 10, 2011, 01:33:30 AM »

Totally. And while I loved the whole sequence where he is used to raise money via war bonds, why the hell would the USA just throw away a super soldier like that? Makes no sense just cause Tommy Lee Jones has a throwaway line about wanting more of him. And honestly, Stanley Tucci didn't write shit down so they could make more? Lame.

Did you catch the line about Hitler digging up "trinkets in the desert" ?  Thought that was a clever nod.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1117 on: December 10, 2011, 10:32:10 AM »

I remember that line, from the intro to Red Skull. Although I have to admit I didn't make the connection.

I would have liked to see a Hitler and Red Skull scene. Hitler getting really pissed he wasn't doing his job. Like a chief in a cop movie.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1118 on: December 11, 2011, 07:21:52 PM »

Hugo - don't believe the trailers, it's utterly fantastic. Totally blown away and easily my favorite Scorsese film. Easily.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1119 on: December 12, 2011, 06:52:31 PM »

But you told me Scorsese always sucks? I just got rid of all his stuff? I don't know if the garbage man has been yet, should I get it all back?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: