Movie Moron
October 01, 2014, 04:17:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 88
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT YOU WATCHED THIS WEEK  (Read 284770 times)
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1120 on: December 12, 2011, 07:49:18 PM »

Save Taxi Driver: 3D, let the rest go.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1121 on: December 19, 2011, 11:18:24 PM »

War Horse - review pending (sucks)

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - *swoon*  Absolutely fantastic. The Dubai sequence should be taught in film school. This ranks among the best action films ever made, cannot believe it's a fourth installment in a franchise. See it on the biggest screen possible for the skyscraper sequence.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1122 on: December 20, 2011, 08:02:06 AM »

Critics are going crazy for the skyscraper sequence in IMAX. Very tempting to check it out. Wish I didn't have to go to Waterloo to see it.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: December 20, 2011, 10:18:53 AM »

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - *swoon*  Absolutely fantastic.

I'm crazy excited for that film.

Shoot 'Em Up - Great fun. I need to see more self-aware action movies.

The Great Silence - Very conventional Spaghetti Western until the ending, but I enjoyed it. And the ending shocked the hell out of me, and impressed me a helluva lot too.

Star Trek, Mission Impossible 3, Transformers - Re-watched them all. Still enjoy them a great deal. Forgot just how good MI3 is.

Bande a part - Really wanted to like this, but it didn't make a strong impression on me, I'll give it another shot someday.

In Time - Nowhere near as bad as reviews make out. JT wasn't a very good lead and they could've done more with their concept, but watchable and fun. Would make a great TV show.

The Big Lebowski - Superb.

The Duellists - Poor man's Barry Lyndon.

Adele Blanc Sec - Fan-freakin-tastic. I haven't seen Spielberg's Tintin yet, but I have a very strong feeling I'm going to greatly prefer this BD adventure adap.

dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1124 on: December 20, 2011, 07:24:09 PM »

The Silence - not gonna lie, I zoned out a lot during this movie. Beautiful character moments, wonderfully shot ... just too light on story for my taste.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1125 on: December 29, 2011, 04:57:22 PM »

Cowboys And Aliens - Mixed bag. I did enjoy watching it because it is a high concept idea that has never been done before.

Daniel Craig was great when he was silent, which was most of the time, but every time he opened his mouth it seemed he didn't have the voice, literally, of his character. I never really knew who his character was and I get the strong sense he didn't either (and I don't just mean the amnesia). Also his accent was all over the place. Harrison Ford was not as good as some reviews would have me believe. In fact I would say he was phoning it in, and his character was clearly expanded just because they got him for a relatively uninteresting supporting role. So you have extra scenes of him just walking about, or telling long stories that basically slow the movie down. His interaction with Craig, or lack of it, was a major flaw in the movie - they seemed to be acting in different films.

I didn't mind the alien design too much but again it was inconsistent scene to scene and why does every cgi monster have to introduce itself in a scene with that same damn roar? It's such a boring cliche. In the end they became the usual bounding floppy-armed cgi aliens that aren't much fun to watch.

Also the characters didn't seem to be emotionally taken aback by the alien invasion or their families being kidnapped,, two scenes later they're smiling and joking heading out on their trek.

Olivia Wilde's bonfire scene was cringeworthy, with possibly the worst dialogue of the year "You should have told me" is SUCH a bad line.

So anyway, that was a lot of the stuff that bothered me, but it was still enjoyable.

They should have changed the title.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1126 on: January 01, 2012, 04:22:30 PM »

Forgot just how good MI3 is.

Same here. Gonna rewatch here in a couple of days having just seen the fourth one, but last time I popped it in I was surprised how well it held up.

They should have changed the title.

Agreed. Also agree with the girl in the fire part, and her "character" was woefully underwritten.

Loved Craig in every single moment, though, and it's my favorite Harrison Ford part in years. Should have been his movie, actually, the narrative in his half was far more interesting. Loved the second act and didn't think it drug at all, and I also hated the creature design. So basically, the exact opposite of your reactions so we should never make a movie together.

A had the misfortune of watching to painful movies over Christmas break.

Warrior - had to turn it off after an hour and ten minutes. The directing is bland, the acting overrated, the dialog painful. It's one of those movies where everyone just stands around talking about things that happened off camera, things that are FAR more interesting than what you're watching. They also have little to no fighting in the first hour, save for  a quickie bout and a lame ass split screen montage.

Not only is the core premise ridiculous, they feel the need to pump in faux drama by making one brother a Iraq war vet and another brother a school teacher in danger of losing his home. The entire thing is trite, forced, and all been done before in MUCH better movies.

Gran Torino - I had no idea, NO idea, how bad this movie would be. It's MST3K fodder. Some of the worst acting I've seen outside of student films and little to no story structure. One sequence in particular is mind numbing ... it's the "training montage" where Eastwood is making a man out of the Asian kid next door. Eastwood uses a series of cross dissolves, lingering only a split second on the final image before dissolving to the next, so fast you can't even focus on what you're seeing. Not only that, he cross dissolves repeatedly to the same dolly shot of him smoking cigarettes and staring at the kid as he pushes a massive stump in the rain. It plays like a pedophile romance montage.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1127 on: January 01, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »

Crazy, Stupid, Love. - my wife popped this in tonight and I kept one dubious eye on it. Holy shit. Not only is it better than the best of the year contenders I've been catching up on, it is currently topping my list. The script is WICKED smart, the movie wonderfully acted. There is not a single wasted scene and the entire thing is pure magic. I'm utterly floored by how good this movie is and how no one seems to remember it. Should be on every top ten list this year. Comedies get NO respect.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1128 on: January 02, 2012, 05:19:43 AM »

A Dangerous Method - really enjoyed this on an intellectual level, but the filmmaking is pretty basic and the story structure is deeply flawed. Good acting from Fasstbender and Viggo, but Knightly is a tough call. She had to do a Russian accent and act like a mental patient, so she was a whole bunch of hard to understand at the start of the movie.

Melancholia - liked this but didn't love it. Von Trier has turned in MUCH better (and much worse) work. Really a companion piece to Antichrist, it covers a LOT of the same themes and implements many of the same narrative devices. Ultimately, it's core argument works against it. Von Trier's thesis seems to be "we all turn to dust so nothing matters" and this really works against him, since it basically dares the audience not to care about the movie they are watching.

The acting is great, certain moments are inspired, and the scenes of Melancholia's destruction are breathtaking ... but ultimately it's emotionless and meaningless.

Sure is pretty, though.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1129 on: January 02, 2012, 07:18:11 PM »

Ruthless People - rented this cause it's talked about a lot in books about screenwriting. It was cute and very well constructed, but terribly funny. Made me smile, not laugh. Worth a rent.

This Film is Not Yet Rated - it's not very well made, but the subject matter is fascinating and what they uncover at the end is shocking. This is a must see.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1130 on: January 03, 2012, 03:52:49 AM »

The Adventures of Tin Tin - found this very, very boring. The tent pole chase scene was a lot of fun, but a glorified theme park ride. Other than that, I was bored to tears through the entire thing. Too much talking interspersed with ridiculous action that the characters survive by chance. And with such dialog as "Blazing Barnacles!" I was about ready to walk out halfway through.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 03, 2012, 09:09:28 AM »

I still need to see Tintin. Have you seen Adele Blanc-Sec DJaws?

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - Quite disappointing It was so well reviewed I expected it to be the best Mission Impossible movie, but it really, really isn't. The set-pieces are pretty great, but the plot is disjointed, generic and fails to be engaging. Right now I think M:I-3 is the best, followed by M:I-1 and then M:I-4. Last of all M:I-2 because that movie sucked.

Dog Day Afternoon - Amazing. I love films with mainly one setting, and this is a great example of why they can work so well.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1132 on: January 03, 2012, 12:03:16 PM »

I have not seen that and unfortunately when I type it into Netlix I only get results for "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and a documentary about Adele.

I might rank the M:I movies the same as you, but the groundbreaking Fort Knox sequence probably puts the first at the top of the list for me, maybe, and the third and fourth are neck and neck for slot number two. Love the character drama and motivation of the third one and while the fourth is a lot more surface level, the exquisite craftsmanship that Bird displays puts J.J. to shame.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1133 on: January 05, 2012, 10:34:09 PM »

Tree of Life - Left me speechless. Openly wept for the last ten minutes straight. One of the very best films I have ever seen.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1134 on: January 06, 2012, 04:30:50 AM »

Terminator Salvation - ditto
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: January 06, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »

Openly wept for the last ten minutes straight.

WTF
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1136 on: January 06, 2012, 11:48:03 AM »

My dad died while we were watching it.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: January 06, 2012, 12:24:25 PM »

Fair enough.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1138 on: January 07, 2012, 02:41:36 AM »

Sherlock Season 2, Episode 1 - loved it. Would have liked to have seen more Moriarty, but Adler was the bees knees. Damn fine episode, I love the director and writer together, the Moffat McGuigan combo is a K.O. every time. Can't wait for Hound next week!
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1139 on: January 07, 2012, 06:31:06 AM »

88 Minutes - Yes this is pretty bad, often hard to follow, and heavily edited vocally in ADR, but there's still something quite entertaining about the scenario and I did like Pacino's performance most of the time, basically one of the greatest actors of his generation in a cheap slasher movie, much more entertaining than if it was, say, De Niro. Still, avoid.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 88
  Print  

Jump to: