Movie Moron
April 19, 2014, 06:06:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 85
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT YOU WATCHED THIS WEEK  (Read 235787 times)
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1140 on: January 07, 2012, 08:14:31 AM »

Sherlock Season 2, Episode 1 - loved it. Would have liked to have seen more Moriarty, but Adler was the bees knees. Damn fine episode, I love the director and writer together, the Moffat McGuigan combo is a K.O. every time. Can't wait for Hound next week!

Excuse my ignorance but is this the new updated BBC production? If so i really need to see this as I've heard its great, the first 'series' is only 3 episodes though right?

Insidious - Why everyone has been banging on about it being the scariest movie of last year is completely beyond me, i thoroughly enjoyed the first half yes but then it just plummets into cliche upon cliche and went from being pretty creepy to a laugh out loud cant believe I'm watching the same movie joke. Honestly its like they fired the Director who shot the first half then employed Adam Sandler to shoot the last half.

Machete After the disappointment of Predators i wasn't holding out much hope for this but with its tongue superglued to its cheek this was a gory, ultra-violent batshit crazy flick that paused only when the credits rolled. No its not well edited or particularly well shot or acted but it is good (relatively) harmless fun.

The next scream you hear could be your own
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1141 on: January 07, 2012, 11:22:44 AM »

Excuse my ignorance but is this the new updated BBC production? If so i really need to see this as I've heard its great, the first 'series' is only 3 episodes though right?

Insidious - Why everyone has been banging on about it being the scariest movie of last year is completely beyond me, i thoroughly enjoyed the first half yes but then it just plummets into cliche upon cliche and went from being pretty creepy to a laugh out loud cant believe I'm watching the same movie joke. Honestly its like they fired the Director who shot the first half then employed Adam Sandler to shoot the last half.

Yeah, the BBC version with Noah Cummerbund (sp?). It's phenomenal (except for season one, episode  two, that one sucks).

Felt the same way about Insidious, though, the first half didn't float my boat either. It had a couple of GREAT scare moments in the first half, but the dialog was already painfully cliche. But you're right, the second half is absolute balls. When they go into the "other world" it was utterly laughable. The demons on Buffy the Vampire Slayer looked better, and his "lair" looks like a 10-year-old boy's lazer tag birthday party.

dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1142 on: January 08, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »

The Innkeepers - wonderfully shot and acted, but not much else. Nowhere near the level of House of the Devil, but still a fun ride. Very, VERY underwhelming ending.

Bellflower - sometimes hipsters think that they matter. When this happens, they make movies called Bellflower.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1143 on: January 08, 2012, 02:20:28 PM »

Why everyone has been banging on about it being the scariest movie of last year is completely beyond me

Because 2011 was actually a piss poor year for horror -

BEST: (combining criticsí and publicís opinions)
1st: Tucker and Dale vs Evil   2nd: TrollHunter   3rd: Fright Night   4th: Insidious   5th: The Woman
6th: Black Death   7th: Paranormal Activity 3   8th: We Are The Night   9th: Final Destination 5
10th: Scream 4   11th: Red State   12th: Motherís Day   13th: The Thing
14th: Rubber   15th: Donít Be Afraid Of The Dark   16th: Vanishing On 7th Street
17th: The Resident   18th: The Ward   19th: The Rite   20th: Quarantine 2: Terminal
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1144 on: January 08, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »

Tucker and Dale is comedy, not horror (and not a very good one). Troll Hunter boasts VERY good VFX, but a bad story with no real scares or laughs.  I LOVED Fright Night.  Didn't see Woman in Black, but the Black Death was underwhelming and also really not a horror. Paranormal Activity 3 was BALLS. Red State is awesome but not a horror. Scream 4 was funny and great social commentary, but not the best movie and also not scary. Rubber is not a horror at all.

Wow. That is a REALLY pathetic list (not your compiling, I mean the quality of movies to choose from).

Innkeepers was better than most of these, even thought I didn't love it that much.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1145 on: January 13, 2012, 09:47:20 PM »

A Separation - damn fine acting and great dramatic tension, but I'm getting so tired of movies without the balls to take a stance on their own subject matter.

Vivre Sa Vie - I've now sat through three Godard films and the only one I've enjoyed is Breathless.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1146 on: January 14, 2012, 03:26:47 AM »

Tucker and Dale is a horror-comedy. Innkeepers is supposedly opening properly in 2012 so will be on next year's list.

Horrible Bosses - not too bad. The bigger laughs come toward the end. Although Jason Bateman often plays it a bit too miserable in the second half of the movie. A strong script, I can see why it got a lot of attention. It's not up there with The Hangover. I read somewhere they're planning a sequel to this. Story-wise it really doesn't invite it and is hard to imagine.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1147 on: January 15, 2012, 03:21:12 PM »

Tucker and Dale vs Evil - I really liked it. Just found out that 'Dale' is the same guy who catches the virus and dies in Planet Of The Apes, what a performance he gives in this, almost unrecognisable. He's better than Alan Tudyk, who's still very good. I swear Tudyk's hair changed colour once in this film. I didn't think the college kids were bad, they played it the way they should have (except for one of the minor role girls, who was wooden). Contains my favourite ADR line of the year - "He's crackling like a log!". Best film of its type since Shaun Of The Dead.

Brooklyn's Finest - Not bad. Strong performances. Three cops who are all screwups in different ways. Very much three short films, one following Richard Gere, one following Ethan Hawke and one on Don Cheadle. The fact they never come together at all (except literally passing each other in the street once or twice) is a bit disappointing. Ethan Hawke's character was compulsive to watch but didn't make a lot of sense - the whole 'mould plotline' was a logic flaw. I don't know how many people get shot in the chest in the last fifteen minutes, but it's a lot.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1148 on: January 17, 2012, 01:55:14 AM »

Collapse - fascinating documentary from the guy that made American Movie (also fabulous). I have to say, except for a couple small points, I'm terrifyingly convinced of this argument. The movie is little more than a filmed conversation and I was mesmerized from beginning to end because of the well made argument and Michael Ruppert's incredible candor and affability.

Pina - Every single frame of this movie is STUNNING. But, if you don't like modern dance, it's probably not for you. There is no strict narrative and it really isn't a documentary, just long dance sequence that are beautifully filmed.

Sherlock: Season 2 - love the hell out of this show. The bookend episodes of season 1 were better than anything in season 2, but all of this new season was FAR better than the the poor middle episode of last season.

Downton Abbey: Season 1 - took two episodes to win me over, but once it did, my wife and I watched the entire rest of the season in one day. Great, basic drama done very well.

Sons of Anarchy: Season 3 - Didn't like the Irish stuff, but got great at the very end.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1149 on: January 17, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »

Saw Collapse a couple of months ago (http://www.movie-moron.com/forum/index.php?topic=1541.msg19779;topicseen#msg19779). Definitely a very thought-provoking set of concerns. I think he does ignore new technology. I'm seeing more and more hybrid cars and electric cars these days, the industry block on their development 10 years ago seems to have been lifted. That will solve a part of the problem, but yeah India and China developing to a stage where they're all hungry for oil means there's big trouble ahead. Petrol prices at the pump are going to rise and rise. It's already pretty awful here in the UK. If I had a car and was to drive from London to Glasgow and back to visit a relative it would cost around £180 in petrol alone.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: January 19, 2012, 11:59:28 AM »

Reservoir Dogs - One of the best movies I've ever seen.  Much prefer this to Pulp Fiction, I don't know why the general consensus is that PF is better.

The Artist - Brilliant. I love that dog.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1151 on: January 19, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »

Reservoir Dogs - One of the best movies I've ever seen.  Much prefer this to Pulp Fiction, I don't know why the general consensus is that PF is better.

Agreed.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: January 24, 2012, 06:35:09 PM »

Hugo - Very good, could have been great. I really think the 3D got in the way, not just in the way of my experience as a viewer, but I feel like it hindered Scorsese. The 3D showboating didn't work for me at all, it irritated me, and I'm sure there's some framing that he wouldn't have done were he making a conventional picture - Shutter Island looked much better. Chloe Moretz felt self-conscious, which is weird because in Kick-Ass and 500 DoS she's really naturalistic. Maybe it was the accent, which she did fine with, but it made the scenes where it was just the two kids feel awkward. Pacing was a little bit of an issue for me too, and I was particularly critical of the dialogue-free sequences fresh off the back of seeing The Artist. That said, SBC was good, as was Ben Kingsley and Emily Mortimer's face.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1153 on: January 24, 2012, 07:30:02 PM »

I hope Scorsese doesn't read this site, probably leave here well depressed. First Dalmatian Jaws laying into the old man, now this. Interesting comments though. What makes The Artist so accomplished? A lot of other blogs have said they liked it but weren't blown away by it.

Punisher: War Zone - Since it's Oscar season.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1154 on: January 24, 2012, 08:34:12 PM »

Ironically enough, I adored Hugo. It's easily my favorite Scorsese film and I think, personal preference aside, it ranks among his finest films in terms of craftsmanship (story, not so much, but Scorsese rarely films a great script). It's the first movie to truly use 3D as an art form and suffers without it (the second being Pina) and the sequence where the girl gets trampled is some of the finest editing I've seen, period.

The Town some good moments and good acting all around, but the plot is extremely forced with huge character holes, and there's not a single scene in it that I haven't seen in some other movie. Feels like a fan film dedicated to Scorsese.

Anvil: The Story of Anvil - still wonderful. Heartbreaking and inspiring all at the same time. Phenomenal doc(mock?)umentary.

Breaking Bad: Season 4 - six episodes in, so far, so AWESOME

Downton Abbey: Season 2 - starts off with a bang. LOVE. THIS. SHOW.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: January 25, 2012, 07:31:41 AM »

I hope Scorsese doesn't read this site, probably leave here well depressed. First Dalmatian Jaws laying into the old man, now this.

I liked it a lot, though, just wanted to like it more than I did. I disagree with DJaws, I think it'll benefit from being in 2D, the 3D was just distracting. I'd be getting into the story and then CGI paper was flying in my face...

I'll probably grow to like it more on re-watches.

What makes The Artist so accomplished? A lot of other blogs have said they liked it but weren't blown away by it.

It's riveting for 90 mostly-silent minutes, in 2D, and there were little stretches in Hugo where there was no dialogue and I just wanted the to get the hell on with it. It's annoying because dialogue free storytelling can be THE BEST, but those sequences were more 'how can we utilize 3D here?' than 'how can we tell a great story?'.

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1156 on: January 28, 2012, 04:35:17 PM »

Super 8 (first 20 minutes) - I'm 20 minutes in and I am struggling to turn it back on. It doesn't get how kids talk at all. I used to make films at that age, with a group of friends and it doesn't capture it in the slightest. The large kid in the yellow jacket is completely false. It's ridiculously accomplished in far too many regards, eg some of the trick edits when they watch the film back, and how they go about things and how they discuss the movie, "story flow" my arse. It's like JJ Abrams has taken his set today and populated it with kids and tried to make them sound dumb sometimes. Urgh, every time they try and crack a joke I sit there stoney faced. Kids of that age, and the way they interact, are hilarious. This is not. Then the train crash happens and it's so ridiculously over the top and cgi-fake that I found myself laughing through it. Sigh, an hour and a half to go.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1157 on: January 28, 2012, 05:15:47 PM »

5 minutes later. So apparently the guy who drove his car head first into a train to such enormous destructive effect is, in the aftermath, sitting in his car, still alive, with blood dribbled on his head. I haven't seen anything so unlikely since Kirk wandered into Spock's cave. Actually this is more unlikely.

Also these kids are far too shocked by the idea that someone has died. PC adult-eyes nonsense. At least three of the kids would think it was cool.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1158 on: January 28, 2012, 07:01:49 PM »

I made it to the end, though I spent some time checking my phone. It remained crap and uninvolving either on an emotional or story level. Every other scene had a stupid or roll your eyes moment. How hard is to leave out lines of dialogue like "whatever" and "such a douche" when you're writing a script set in 1979? Do you really think kids were using those terms then? The two dads turn up at the end and couldn't give a monkeys about a water tower surrounded by everything metal in the town turning into an alien craft, they are only interested in getting a hug - what planet is this movie set on? How can his dad say "I got you", when the kid is out of any danger and he did absolutely nothing to help him the whole movie? Characters shouting out "I'm scared" when they're scared, and the general 'obvious commentary' is so weak, they should emote that feeling and say something else. The only thing I was surprised by was how little super 8 actually had to do with anything, I thought what they filmed would be significant but it really wasn't in the slightest. Also the idea of an alien building a spaceship underground out of stolen parts is from The Thing.
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #1159 on: January 29, 2012, 03:28:06 AM »

Wow, ha ha.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 85
  Print  

Jump to: