Movie Moron
November 27, 2014, 09:53:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 90
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT YOU WATCHED THIS WEEK  (Read 299972 times)
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: January 29, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »

I couldn't finish your review, Sheridan  Roll Eyes  Wink

Gamer - Garbage.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1161 on: January 29, 2012, 12:29:34 PM »

Didn't hate it as much as you, but totally agree with all the critiques.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1162 on: January 29, 2012, 01:03:17 PM »

Though, I have to say, the kids not talking like kids is something I actually enjoy, and critiquing a film because it does not follow the rules of our own reality isn't fair. The only "reality" a story must follow is its own, so it only matters if the rules are internally consistent.

That said, when I watched the movie and they found the driver still alive, and in a car that isn't all that damaged, I was confused cause I thought I'd missed something, then I just had to shrug my shoulders and go with it.

the other two MAJOR flaws of Super 8, other than Abrams choosing to ape a style rather than build one of his own, is in how they didn't properly weave their sorylines togeher (something Sheridan mentioned in the father's storyling, and also in how they connect the monster storyline to the kids) and the fact that they wanted their monster to be both Jaws and E.T and you just can't do that. It's impossible to empathize with a beast that's seen chewing a human leg. How can I feel sorry for it? Makes no sense.

@DN: expound on Gamer, I want to hear a rant.

As for myself:

Downton Abbey: Season 2 - nowhere near as good as the first season since it dives headlong into melodrama and some RIDICULOUS and [/b]completely unneeded plot twists (long lost heir with amnesia? Give me a break).

Boardwalk Empire - only two episodes in but liking it SO much more than I expected. Really interesting characters. It's not just about shocking violence and being able to show boobs on HBO

The Wild Bunch - really, REALLY disapointed. Thought it was boring and all the characters were unlikeable. Editing was phenomenal in places, as was the use of violence, but the story sucks ass.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1163 on: January 29, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »

Super Hate

I second the request for a Gamer rant. I've had my turn. And that film does look like handicam horse dung.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 29, 2012, 05:22:20 PM »

Season 2 of Boardwalk Empire is a vast improvement on Season 1. Michael Stuhlbarg is an incredible actor, isn't he? My face lit up when he appeared in Hugo, he's so good in BE and A Serious Man. Dude should be in everything.

Disgree completely with the 'how kids talk' comment regarding Super 8, it felt authentic to me. And I appreciated the use of old school slang like 'mint', the random singing of My Sharona, Charles saying 'production value' over and over because he'd adopted the buzzword... But that should come as no surprise, seeing as how I disagree about the movie altogether.

Okay, so Gamer. I'm not averse to dumb fun in the slightest. I liked Fast Five, and I'm looking forward to Lockout. I've been meaning to see the Crank movies for a while, which are from Nevaldine/Taylor, the directors of Gamer, and those films are BLATANTLY off the wall crazy action. So I approached Gamer with that mentality - this is going to be stupid. Stupid good. I even thought it might potentially surprise me due to how ripe the subject matter is for social commentary, it has a high concept that could've been an episode of Black Mirror: online gaming and networking has evolved beyond profiles and avatars and become remote-controlling real people, death row inmates that you can kill in a game called Slayer, and actors that you can socialize with in Society. Needless to say I was disappointed, I don't think there was anything the movie did right.

The action was terrible; poorly shot, poorly edited and completely unengaging. I'm totally an apologist for shaky-cam, an advocate even. I will defend the way Cloverfield an the Bourne Supremacy are shot TO THE DEATH, and I like the fight editing in Nolan's Batman movies, so when I start complaining about hand-held shots and machine-gun cuts YOU DONE GOOFED. And that was a major problem here, it was torturous to watch at times. And I haven't cared less about action sequences since I watched Sucker Punch, so it already failed on the action front, and it's an Action Film.

Then it's just immature. Again, I'm not the kind of viewer that thinks immaturity is beneath him. Potty humor and general silliness, I am very cool with. But this was immature in a juvenile look how naughty we are kind of way. The this is how adults behave look at me throwing mature content around kind of way. Like, one of the first lines of dialogue a guy tells a bitchy woman to 'stop menstruating', and I'm not complaining about that because it's sexist, characters can be sexist, it just stank of someone thinking they were writing 'cool' and 'edgy' dialogue and it played as anything but. And it goes beyond comments like that and generally childish use of language, the whole movie is a jarring and embarrassing mess coated with that tonality.

Shock of all shocks, any attempt at social commentary was undermined by the films major failings in other areas. I'd say avoid at all costs, but I want you to know my pain.

13 Assassins - Very good. Welcome parallels with Seven Samurai, really enjoyable.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1165 on: January 29, 2012, 06:30:54 PM »

Sounds like they done goofed alright.

Advance word on Ghost Rider 2 is pretty shitty as well.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1166 on: January 29, 2012, 09:44:41 PM »

Good way of putting the immaturity issue. I had the same reaction to Superbad. I know you guys may not agree with me on that, but the reasoning sums up why I couldn't make it past 15 minutes.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1167 on: February 07, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »

30 Minutes Or Less - The biggest issue here is conceptual. Why would you try and make a comedy out of a real life crime that is so disturbing? They didn't just take the guy with the bomb vest having to rob the bank, but the manipulative woman trying to get to a rich man's money and a lot of the weird real-life relationships. If I didn't know the story well I'm sure I'd see the movie a bit differently but there's just something so ethically suspect about it. And that uneasy tone surfaces every so often in the movie, with at least one distinctly disturbing fight to the death (involving Fred Ward). The other big issue is that it all ends about 10 scenes too soon, soo much is left hanging. Is the assassin dead? The notion they would get away scot-free with the bank robbery is too unlikely. Would Danny McBride really just give up where the film ends and not try and track them down to get the money?

Despite the suspect choice of story, the cast rises above it. I agree with this review I found online here - http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=18149 that Aziz Ansari is hilarious every time he opens his mouth. He really made it for me. Danny McBride walked an often awkward line between his improv skit and being a real character, Nick Swardson was funny too (despite being the star of the worst film of all time, he can be great if given material above the Adam Sandler level).

All in all a decent distraction that doesn't fully satisfy. The less one knows about the real story the better.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1168 on: February 11, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »

Didn't know it was based on a real story, I will avoid spoilers before I see it.

My apologies to TRoss in advance, but ...

A Horrible Way to Die - look ... here's the deal ... these filmmakers (they also made You're Next and V/H/S, the latter of which premiered at Sundance this year) always have a fun idea but no idea how to execute it. The main issue with Horrible is that if you recite off the plot, it sounds awesome.   (spoilers ahead, but it won't matter cause the movie sucks so there's nothing to spoil)

Plot:
Safe from his murderous urges in solitary confinement, former serial killer Garrick Turrell breaks out of prison when his internet fanbase decides to murder his ex-girlfriend, leaving him no choice but to race across country to save her, facing his demons and sick fetish every step of the way.

Sounds pretty bad ass, right? Except, THAT'S NOT THE STORY UNTIL THE LAST TEN MINUTES OF THE MOVIE WHEN THE BIG "TWIST" REVEALS EVERYTHING, HAVING FORCED THE AUDIENCE TO SIT THROUGH SCENE AFTER RANDOM SCENE OF GARRICK SITTING IN A CAR, LISTENING TO THE RADIO WHILE HIS GIRLFRIEND UNKNOWINGLY DATES ONE OF HIS PSYCHO FANS. For 75 minutes NOTHING HAPPENS in her story. Sure, the scenes with Garrick have a few cool deaths, but they don't make up a proper story.

*sigh*

Other than Ti West, whose House of the Devil was awesome but whose Inkeepers was highly overrated, the new generation of horror directors is absolute balls (I'm looking at you, Adam Green and your whole gang of splat packers).
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1169 on: February 11, 2012, 08:19:58 PM »

Speaking of the next generation of horror filmmakers, what the hell happened to Eli Roth? He hasn't directed a film in FIVE YEARS.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1170 on: February 11, 2012, 11:52:50 PM »

Maybe he quit letting Tarantino rub his feet? Who knows. He made one horrible film, one alright film, and one disappointing sequel to his good-ish film, then somehow rode that wave ... he must come from a rich family or else he makes his bucks as a producer/developer. In fact, that's probably it. Didn't he produce The Last Exorcism and it upcoming equal, The Really Last Exorcism of Emily Rose in Connecticut?
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1171 on: February 22, 2012, 04:27:23 PM »

Back to the Future III - Ofter overlooked for its WTF setting compared to the great conceits of the first two movies, but as a standalone film it's awesome. Lots of fun.

Boardwalk Empire Season 2 - Michael Stuhlbarg IS incredible! I didn't even recognize him from Serious Man. Really good stuff season 2, though as far as I'm concerned it was the series finale, Buscemi vs. Pitt just can't be topped.

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1172 on: February 22, 2012, 05:02:18 PM »

I think I need to revisit Back to the Future III, I haven't seen it since I was a kid but recall being extremely disappointed at the choice of setting.

Crazy, Stupid, Love - Enjoyed it a lot. Some too-ridiculous scenes (like she would ever give the kid those photos, too many shameless confessions of love) take the edge off a bit. Carell and Gosling on the dating scene is just so much fun to watch, one of the year's highlights. Julianne Moore is very good. Emma Stone is a bit irritating. Good twist towards the end, should have seen it coming. Not sure why Kevin Bacon signed up for his role, he's only in it for about 6 minutes. Still, why not.

dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1173 on: February 23, 2012, 10:54:40 AM »

ADORED Crazy, Stupid, Love. I see your point about the pictures, but enjoyed that element of it ... just like how everyone is so verbal and witty, it sort of takes place in its own universe where people say what they mean in very articulate ways, I dug that a LOT, it really gave it its own feel. Thought the script was VERY tight and I have a huge crush on Emma Stone so she can do no wrong in my book.

The setting for BTTF3 isn't so much bad as it is out of left field. The first two movies really centered around Marty's family in the past and future, compounding on each other and building to a GREAT finale ... then Doc gets zapped to the old west ... WTF? It's just one of those things where it's like ... out of ALL the places he could have been zapped, why that? Would have worked better if, say, the lighting blast to the Delorian made it malfunction so they kept getting bumped to different time periods, so we say dinos, knights, the FAAAAAR future, etc. Would have loved that and it would have felt more like a grand finale, you know?  All that said, if you look past your expectations and look at what we were actually given, it's a pretty solid movie. LOTS of fun.

Moneyball - liked it a LOT more than I expected to but not nearly as much as I hoped considering the Oscar buzz. Solid little movie but in no way an Oscar contender (but what else is new, Oscars nominate shit movies all the time). Jonah Hill is very subdued here, and does a fine job, but doesn't deserve a nod. And neither does Pitt, who is also just fine, but not great. Also, they completely throw away Robin Wright Penn and Phillip Seymore Hoffman.  All that said, the subject matter is actually quite fascinating, and I enjoyed seeing a sports movie with only two scenes of sports in it.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1174 on: February 23, 2012, 08:39:08 PM »

I like Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill but as a Brit I just can't find any excuse to watch Moneyball, baseball is unheard of here. Baseball stats even less so.

Troll Hunter - Certainly imaginative and unique in subject matter, full of original ideas. But it needed to cut fifteen minutes from the middle because I did nod off two nights in a row trying to watch it. There's just a lack of tension in the mid section, they could walk away any time to no great loss. Also the escape from the trolls' cave could have been directed much better, the build-up was good. Mostly recommended.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1175 on: February 24, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »

It was a bad night for movies in the Roland house

The Descendants
- turned it off after ten minutes. Horrible narration and painful expository monologues to explain the plot. Juvenile. Cannot BELIEVE it's nominated for an Oscar.

Lair of the White Worm - MST3K fodder.

Ended up just watching Spaced on Netflix.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1176 on: February 24, 2012, 03:52:32 PM »

I get the feeling I'm going to love The Descendants. I enjoyed Sideways and About Schmidt a hell of a lot.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1177 on: February 24, 2012, 05:31:45 PM »

I did too. Particularly About Schmidt. Going to give The Descendants another go tonight.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1178 on: February 24, 2012, 09:21:15 PM »

Attack The Block - I really enjoyed this film, very good in all departments. What shocked me was when I finished watching it on LoveFilm and looked at the users' reviews most of them HATED this movie. Of the first 20 reviews, 15 of them had rated it one star or less. I'm sorry there's only one reason for that - racism. White British people unable to handle a black protagonist who commited a (minor) crime. So stupid. If the movie had started with, say, a white cowboy shooting dead his brother then looking for redemption they'd forgive him. They see the world in terms of good and evil and don't have the life experience to distinguish any shades or understand why things happen. They live in their bubble and have almost certainly never set foot on a council estate. Sad to see a great film talked down by the general public.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 25, 2012, 08:19:27 AM »

Yeah, I've seen some stunningly ignorant responses to Attack the Block.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 90
  Print  

Jump to: