Movie Moron
October 30, 2014, 01:29:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 88
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT YOU WATCHED THIS WEEK  (Read 289685 times)
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1180 on: February 25, 2012, 11:56:29 PM »

Wow, that's shocking. It is just a damn good film in all areas. LOVE it, actually. Managed to capture that old 80s fun vibe without being shlocky and creating its own vibe at the same time ... something Super 8 failed at.  The American reaction was extremely positive. That's so sad.

The Descendants - finished it. Hated every moment of it. Horrible voice over narration throughout. All unlikeable characters. Forced vague metaphors and boring cinematography. My wife and I burst out laughing at what was supposed to be the most touching part of the movie.  Mind blowing to me that's it's nominated for an Oscar. Robert Forster rocked his scenes, though.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1181 on: February 26, 2012, 12:44:01 PM »

Makes me want to check out The Descendants more urgently. Where does it rank alongside Crystal Skull and War Horse? Robert Forster has been really good the few times I've caught him on screen. Him or Philip Baker Hall always raise a movie.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1182 on: February 27, 2012, 01:47:38 PM »

It's not Golden Trash like Crystal Skull, mostly because there are a few good moments. But mostly it is boring and pointless and tells you all the important stuff in voiceover.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1183 on: February 29, 2012, 02:21:33 AM »

Drive - Very good. Haunting movie. Interesting to contrast Ryan Gosling last week showing the perfect way to charm a lady in Crazy, Stupid, Love, and this the polar opposite - do not stamp someone's head flat after a kiss. I know character progression and all, but it did seem the Driver of the first half an hour would never have violently confronted things in the way he does the rest of the movie. I can see why it missed out at the Oscars, they hate hyper violent stuff, and it's very like Scorsese's work in that sense. It's one reason Scorsese was ignored for so long. Anyway, definitely recommended.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 01, 2012, 02:45:07 PM »

Bit late on the recommendation aren't we Sheridan? I would like to recommend you a band called The Beatles, they're really very good.  Wink

Marie Antoinette - I liked this. It's often dismissed and constantly referred to as a disappointment, or at least Sofia Coppola's most disappointing movie, so I was pleasantly surprised. It was a beautiful movie, amazing costuming and set design, wonderful camerawork, and I liked the overall genre-mash approach. It was like Barry Lyndon meets Romeo+Juliet meets John Hughes. I can see why it's not for everybody, but it's stupid to be harsh about it. P.S.: I've decided to make a conscious effort to watch more movies with female leads, so if anybody has good recommendations, please fire away. Martha Marcy May Marlene and Sunshine Cleaning are next up. I've seen Black Swan and Winter's Bone.

The Goonies - I...didn't like this? I guess I expected more, considering how beloved it is. I can picture myself having fond memories of it if I'd seen it as a kid, but I was unimpressed. The characters go nowhere - although they are cool characters - and the story is just kind of unengaging. I don't know. It's an alarmingly overrated kids' movie IMO.

Little Big Soldier - Okayish Jackie Chan movie, I'm a sucker for stuff set in feudal China and Jackie Chan's performance is really good. He plays a soldier who, alongside a general, is the last man standing after a battle. He takes the general prisoner and drags him across China. Pretty cool.

American Psycho - Really enjoyed it.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1185 on: March 01, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »

Marie Antoinette - Agree

American Psycho - Agree

The Goonies - I hate you

Star Wars Begins

Building Empire
- both of these are available on Vimeo and both are very, very good. Totally fan-made documentaries but very professional.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1186 on: March 01, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »

Bit late on the recommendation aren't we Sheridan? I would like to recommend you a band called The Beatles, they're really very good.  Wink

Yes, well, bit late to trash The Goonies.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: March 01, 2012, 04:12:03 PM »

Touché, Passell, touché.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Sorry to crap on your childhood DJaws. We are agreeing on a dangerous amount of stuff lately, I had to bring balance to the Force. But seriously, no character arcs in a kids movie stands out like CRAZY.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: March 05, 2012, 06:02:53 AM »

Sunshine Cleaning - Enjoyable, let down a little by a couple twee moments I felt like it didn't earn and by miscasting Emily Blunt. Otherwise, pretty good,

Young Adult - I cannot believe the Oscars ignored this movie.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1189 on: March 06, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »

The Thing (2011) - a resounding "meh." It wasn't outright horrible, but it was weak and dull as hell. You could tell you were in for mediocrity from the first scene. Of all things, it was a simple cutaway to an electronic device. The readout was definitely put on digitally in post production, it didn't look ANYTHING like 1982 technology. I know that sounds nitpicky, but in the first few minutes of a movie the audience is absorbing everything trying to see where the story is going to go, so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The extreme overuse of CGI was expected but it still drove me nuts. It also drove me nuts how all the characters were unmemorable and how the plot was driven by the need to justify all the weird things we saw in the Norwegian camp in the original film. On that note, did anyone else watch it and wonder if the helicopter blew up, how did they have a helicopter to chase the dog to the American camp?

The main thing I disliked, however, was how the monster charges around like a wild beast from the very start. I suppose you can "justify" this by saying it understood humans more by the time it got to the American camp, but still, this thing flew an intensely complicated spaceship across the damn galaxy, why does it act like a wounded lion the entire movie?
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1190 on: March 06, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »

There are too many characters. I'd watched scenes repeatedly on YouTube in advance so had picked apart who was who before I saw it.

The device didn't stand out to me. The cgi is a mixed bag but isn't good enough.

Did you see the scene during the end credits where they're chasing the dog? A pilot arrives from McMurdo in a chopper, sees splitface and is accosted by Lars into going after the dog.

It didn't fly the spaceship, that was piloted by a different alien that travelled the galaxy collecting species. The Thing sample escaped, killed the crew and the pilot suicided by crashing the spaceship into Earth. The only reason The Thing didn't move in the Carpenter movie was because it was too difficult, it just transforms and sits there. I didn't mind it moving so much, and the director did say it was deliberate, that The Thing had learnt to be more stealthy by the time it reached Carpenter's camp, it's a chess player that hadn't encountered humans before.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1191 on: March 09, 2012, 02:08:55 AM »

John Carter - bad. So, so bad. Not quite as bad as Attack of the Clones or Matrix Reloaded, but in the same ballpark. Review coming soon.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1192 on: March 09, 2012, 06:43:35 AM »

I liked most of Attack of the Clones. Except the wooden romantic scenes.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: March 09, 2012, 07:45:32 AM »

I liked most of The Matrix Reloaded. Except the sweaty Zion scenes.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1194 on: March 09, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »

I liked most of my root canal. Except for the parts with blood and pain.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1195 on: March 17, 2012, 06:13:57 PM »

It was 80s Documentary week, apparently:

Shut Up, Little Man - interesting documentary about Audio Verite, an 80s movement in the States where folks passed around real life sound recordings via an underground network of cassette tapes. The tail end devolves into boring details about a legal battle over a particular recording, but the historical stuff is fascinating, as is the main recording (where the titles comes from) of a conservative bigot living with a flaming homosexual and verbally abusing eachother night after night.

The Rock-afire Explosion - in the 80s there was a chain of restaurants that were SUPER popular called Chuck E Cheeses. This documentary follows the guy who invented the robotic animal band that played shows at a restaurant called Showtime Pizza and how when that chain went bankrupt he lost all his creations to Chuck E Cheese. Really, really heartfelt and touching at times. Also quietly desperate.

Best Worst Movie - if you love Troll 2 you'll love this documentary. I recommend a double feature.

The Woman in Black - wow wow wow. The bad things: clunky dialog and a final sequence of forced emotion and BAD CGI that almost ruins the entire movie. The good: everything else. Solid script, great cinematography, phenomenal editing and set design. Mostly the directing is superb. It takes a little bit to get moving, but the second act is utterly mesmerizing. I was SO TENSE watching it. And no one speaks! It's just a half hour of Radcliff walking around the house and I thought my heart was going to stop. Really loved this movie, despite its flaws. Folks have complained that it's too old fashioned, but that's just what made it work. There is no twist, no fresh spin, it's just an old fashioned haunted house movie with mirror tricks and squeaking doors, just done so damn well that it's scary as hell. And it really proves that things are SO much scarier when you love your protagonist.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1196 on: March 17, 2012, 06:20:19 PM »

Iiiiiiiiiinteresting. Just looked up Woman in Black and it was directed by the dude that made Eden Lake, which is really bad. But he also wrote Eden Lake and (the presumably bad) Descent Part 2. Woman in Black was written by Jane Goldman, who wrote X Men First Class and Kick-Ass, which explains why Woman in Black had great scenes and character interplay but bad dialog.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1197 on: March 25, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »

The Raid - just enough plot and character development to make you care but not get in the way of the action. As near to a perfect films as I've seen, it ranks among the very best genre films I've ever seen.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1198 on: March 25, 2012, 06:41:04 PM »

Was excited to see The Raid, now even more so.

Fright Night - Very good. One of Colin Farrell's best performances actually. On the down side, the opening fifteen minutes don't work with the whole McLovin being bullied by Franco and the hero turning his back on him, the cast are simply too old/miscast for it to make any sense. I also preferred the original Peter Vincent over David Tennant who was o-k-. Many of the sequences, such as the car chase and the finale were far better staged than in the original. Although I was disappointed not to see Colin Farrell cut loose and hack up the people in the nightclub like the original vampire did.

Bridesmaids - Also very good. Definitely a chick flick, but a genuinely funny one. Possibly a bit too contrived with the hitting rock bottom thing, lost maybe a bit too much reality there.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1199 on: March 25, 2012, 11:03:08 PM »

Agree on Fright Night and Bridesmaids, though, despite the whole "protagonist is an asshole" opening, I really dug McLovin's performance. That scene in the pool is oddly sad and touching. Great acting all around. I loved Tenant, though his character was terribly underwritten. There is a quiet pathos to Roddy McDowell's version of the character that isn't present here. I also agree with the comment on Ferrel's acting, he just absolutely owns it.

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 88
  Print  

Jump to: