Movie Moron
August 20, 2014, 06:42:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 87
  Print  
Author Topic: WHAT YOU WATCHED THIS WEEK  (Read 279868 times)
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1200 on: March 26, 2012, 08:35:26 AM »

McLovin was great as the vampire, that sequence was most entertaining, he suits villain roles extremely well (also see Kick-Ass) for some bizarre reason.

For me, it just felt like Tennant was in a different movie to everyone else, he didn't really seem to relate to the actors around him somehow.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1201 on: March 26, 2012, 09:37:22 PM »

That's probably why he was so amazing as doctor who, cause that's the character in a nutshell.

dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: March 29, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »

The Ides of March - Great watch. Makes me want to check out Clooney's other directorial efforts. Really, really enjoyed it.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1203 on: March 29, 2012, 11:05:49 PM »

Good Night and Good Luck is very good, as is Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (though more flawed). LEatherheads is a complete missfire, a madcap comedy with no comedy ... that isn't very madcap.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1204 on: March 30, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »

LEatherheads is a complete missfire, a madcap comedy with no comedy ... that isn't very madcap.

Maybe it was a drama?
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1205 on: March 31, 2012, 09:14:05 AM »

Contagion - One of the best films of last year. But not 'for the masses'. The fact that this sort of outbreak has happened several times in human history and will happen again, makes it a haunting movie. It's a pleasingly low-key, level-headed movie considering the subject matter (the masses will call it 'boring'), and an entirely plausible version of how it would all play out. I never thought I'd see Gwyneth Paltrow's head cut in half, credit to her for taking the most unglamorous of roles.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1206 on: April 06, 2012, 01:08:41 PM »

I'll check it out. The trailer looked dull as hell, so I guess I'm a masses.

Straw Dogs (original) - loved every single moment of it. What a GREAT slow boil. The sexual dynamics between the characters are intense, incredibly complex for a film. Inevitable yet unpredictable in the very best ways. Amazing film.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1207 on: April 06, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »

The first Straw Dogs is a great movie. Nerd empowerment.

What I'm saying is Contagion goes for documentary-vibe over the far more obvious tension or high-emotion drama. It feels completely real because of it. I really appreciate that. Most others won't. If it was a made up bug then yes it would be dull, but it's dealing with an actual scenario that could happen at any minute so it's fascinating on that level.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 09, 2012, 10:06:43 AM »

Martha Marcy May Marlene - Pretty, pretty good.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1209 on: April 13, 2012, 06:41:18 PM »

Searching for Guru Dut - documentary about "India's Orson Wells."  It was really fascinating and I can't wait to watch his movies.

The Killing Season 1 - The pilot episodes feels like a glorified NCIS episode, but the rest of the season was STUNNING ... until the final two episodes, which devolved into convenient melodrama. Overall it's a bit uneven, but when it's on it's REALLY on.

Cabin in the Woods - hilarious and ridiculously enjoyable. See it.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 15, 2012, 10:22:54 AM »

Rififi - Very cool film, pretty standard stuff prior to the centerpiece, which is masterul pure cinema, and I wasn't expecting the brutality that followed, although it did peter out a little.

Badlands - Brilliant film. I need to make my way through Malick's filmography, and this is the first film of his I've seen. Great stuff. Loved the dreamlike quality and the Bonnie & Clyde story.

The AvengersGrin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1211 on: April 16, 2012, 12:25:17 AM »

American Pie - Sad Sad Smiley Sad Sad Tongue Sad Sad Undecided Sad Sad Smiley
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 16, 2012, 12:12:52 PM »

Tiny Furniture - Hmmm. Was open to this, but it was kind of blah. Very Sofia Coppola, not necessarily in the best of ways. It's like if Sofia Coppola remade The Graduate. Had its moments, but I wouldn't readily recommend it.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: April 20, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »

The Virgin Suicides - This is Coppola's first movie and the last of hers I've seen, I started with Lost In Translation, which I didn't like. I think there's something wrong with me. Virgin Suicides and Marie Antoinette? Great to me. Somewhere? ...eh. Lost In Translation? Did not like. And that's her most popular/acclaimed movie.  Roll Eyes
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 06, 2012, 09:39:45 AM »

The Tenant - Bad.
The Whistleblower - Good.
Alien: Resurrection - Okay.
The Darkest Hour Okay.
Cowboys & Aliens - Okay.
O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Good.
Shame - Okay.
Days of Heaven - Great.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1215 on: May 06, 2012, 10:19:19 AM »

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (U.S.) - Solid. She gives an amazing performance. Screenplay fails to clarify the very confusing family relations.
Tower Heist - Not a single laugh in the first 45 minutes, which was a surprise. Rest is decent enough as a slightly amusing adventure. Not sure how they put the car on the roof though.
Morgan Spurlock's Comic Con doc - The individuals it follows give a good sense of the event as a whole. Still not sure if I ever want to go. The queuing and entire day trapped inside a hall look horrible. Doc is a bit repetitive with the talking heads. p.s. Kevin Smith is so irritating these days.

dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1216 on: May 06, 2012, 01:32:19 PM »

Fringe First Half of Season 3 - gave up on this show in season 2, but a friend recommended I push through because season 3 and 4 are awesome. So far ... not awesome, but SIGNIFICANTLY better than the first two seasons, presumably because Orci and Kurtzman backed off writing duties.

It's Complicated - my wife rented this for us to watch. Horrible, horrible HORRIBLE movie. No conflict, everyone is an affluent, happy white person who is slightly upset cause the person their fucking isn't quite good enough. Horrible movie.

The Incredible Hulk - still my favorite of the "Marvel-verse" films. Banner's story just has the most pathos of all of them and Norton plays him so well.

The Avengers - the first thirty minutes or so are pretty fanboy tedious, with setting up the plot and a bunch of new characters while, let's face it, Samuel L Jackson absolutely stinks up the screen. But once we get to the big airship and drop all the bullshit, the quality climbs to the stratosphere. Hobbled by needing to use Thor, Whedon wisely turns him into a series of punchlines and places his (lack of) character arc in the far background and instead focuses on the dynamics between Stark, Rogers, and Banner. GREAT stuff at play here. The massive third act is particularly great, with a wide scope that also feels personal, great pacing, and some awesome character design with the floating mechanical whale monsters.

House (1978) -  first Blu-ray I ever bought and just watched it for the first time. I adore this movie. It's absolutely insane, like Troll 2 from an art house director.

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1217 on: May 06, 2012, 02:57:55 PM »

What's House from 1978? Do you mean 1986?
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 06, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »

Fringe is really inconsistent, this latest Season (Four) was a HUGE disappointment that only delivered a handful of good episodes. I'm glad they're wrapping things up in the coming season.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1219 on: May 07, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »

House from 1978. A Must watch.

Seasons 1 and 2 of Fringe were like that for me, I only liked about two episodes each season.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 87
  Print  

Jump to: