Movie Moron
July 29, 2014, 12:47:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No Nightmare for Mr. Craven.....  (Read 2195 times)
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« on: March 11, 2009, 03:06:40 PM »

With the remake of Wes Cravenís Last House on the Left hitting theaters this week, itís not surprising to see the horror icon talking remakes. Instead of talking about the one about to be in theaters, however, Craven took a moment to talk with Moviehole about the planned remake of his signature film, A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Craven is as unexcited as you might expect about the idea of remaking the classic horror picture. In fact, Craven expects he wonít even see the new version, due out next year from Platinum Dunes. 'Thatíd be a tough one to re-see. I mean, it was tough for me to see Scary Movie, because they basically just took my shots. It was like Ė I had done all the hard work, and then I was sort of the laughingstock of it. But, you know, if you move on from the films youíve made-- which I have tried always to move on Ė then itís like, thatís in the past. You know, itís had his life.

Craven hits on one of the big problems I have with remakes right there - this is someone elseís work. Someone else came up with the idea of a killer who stalks people in their dreams; a pedaphile who seeks revenge from beyond the grave for the vigilante justice that was handed to him. That was Cravenís idea and passion. Someone else taking that over in a remake just seemsÖ wrong.

At the same time, Craven knows why remakes are a viable choice: ĒI guess now theyíre moving towards remakes rather than sequels, because at some point you canít justify another sequel, but you can remake the original, because the audiences have gone through two or three generations... Still, isnít film supposed to last? Isnít the whole idea of home entertainment that we can continue to watch the older movies and expose new generations to those movies, instead of having to remake them?

Regardless, every time I see Craven touch on the subject, he reminds the press that he has no ownership of Nightmare so the studio can do whatever they want to with it. If you look at the franchise, though, the weaker chapters almost always were done without Cravenís involvement. It was only when the writer/director was attached to a Freddy picture that the Nightmare was worth watching. Doing a remake without any involvement from Craven seems like a bad ideaÖ but thatís never stopped the studios before.

Link to article..... http://www.cinemablend.com/new/No-Nightmare-For-Wes-Craven-12276.html

I am sad to find out that Craven is not up for this, that makles me sad. I am up for The Platinum Dunes remake, I really enjoy there films and truely believe that they have a deep love for the films they produce, they do it for the love of the genre, not for the money. Someone will end up making a remake, and I'd rather someone that is good and loves the original to do it, than some Hollywood prick who wants to make money to reboot it.

T.ROSS PRODUCTIONS
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 03:34:30 PM »

I actually feel for Wes Craven there, especially over Scary Movie which not only mocked his creation, but ruined the Scream franchise by making the killer a running joke.

Are you sure Platinum Dunes don't do it for the money Mr. Ross? Doesn't it seem like a business strategy to you?
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 01:02:18 PM »

Well what I mean of course they make films for money. But I dont feel like they target these movies for money. I dont think that they are like hey lets do Friday The 13th and Nightmare On Elm Street so we can make alot of cash. I know that they have alot of love for the movies they remake. They are true die hard fans of horror films! I think alot of people whi talk crap on them about making remakes, would do the same thing that they do if they had the oppritunity of remaking some of there favorite horror films. I think its a good idea that they are rebooting Freddy's legacy, I'd rather see a Nightmare on Elm Street reboot than a sequel. Just watch the special features on there dvds aboout making the movie. Watch the interviews with the producers, you will understand that the are true lovers of the films and genre, checkout this link relating with this subject...

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/platinumdunes/

Read the top blog titled Reflecting back on a killer weekend, can you say sequel?

-T.ROSS PRODUCTIONS
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 03:17:17 PM »

Oh yeah there's no question they're going to do a Friday sequel.
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 03:53:13 PM »

It is already slated on imdb.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: