Movie Moron
October 31, 2014, 02:09:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Christina Aguilera to star in Burlesque  (Read 873 times)
Dom Duncombe

View Profile Email
« on: May 05, 2009, 05:24:29 PM »

Unfortunately that's just a movie with the title of Burlesque.

Christina Aguilera will make her screen debut for Screen Gems in "Burlesque," a contemporary musical that Steven Antin will direct. Antin wrote a script that was revised by "Erin Brockovich" scribe Susannah Grant.

Aguilera will play an ambitious smalltown girl with a big voice who finds love, family and success in a Los Angeles neo-burlesque club that appears to be right out of Bob Fosse's "Cabaret."

"I couldn't be more excited, as this was a project written with her in mind," Screen Gems topper Clint Culpepper said.

Deal comes on the heels of Screen Gems benefiting from the star power of another songstress, Beyonce Knowles, who toplined thriller hit "Obsessed."

My initial thought here is 'bad, bad idea'. Casting someone with next to no acting experience in your movie has 'wrong move' written all over it. I don't even recall the name of the 50 Cent movie but by all accounts it was a waste of celluloid.

It looks to me like they want to make a contemporary Moulin Rouge, but they are forgetting the important ingredients in that film's success; two insanely talented leads and a visionary director in Baz Luhrmann.

Regardless, I'm sure this film will be a hit with 12 year old girls and middle-aged men for two very different reasons so I'm sure it will make money in the end.

Source: Variety
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: