Movie Moron
February 19, 2018, 11:03:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gears of War movie on the way  (Read 1630 times)
Dom Duncombe

View Profile Email
« on: May 05, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »

I think it's fair to say that there have never been any good video game to movie adaptations. Does that mean there can never be any good video game to movie adaptations? I don't think so, especially considering video games are becoming more and more movie like in their stories and presentation with each passing generation. With that in mind we have news coming out about the upcoming Gears of War adaptation:

The film is currently set up at New Line with “Underworld” helmer Len Wiseman attached to direct. Wiseman already has MTV’s endorsement, and if [Screenwriter Chris Morgan's] script pans out as he intends, fans of the franchise are likely to back the project as well.

“I think the gamer side is going to be thrilled with it,” said Morgan. “All the stuff you want to see, we put that in there and then we blow it out a little more, even. Now it’s just a matter of honing in on all of the character arcs and determining production types of things.”

For the uninitiated, “Gears of War” centers on the members of Delta Squad, an elite squadron that consists of rough-and-tough, chew-your-guts-out types of soldiers. Players assume the roles of Marcus Fenix, an ex-convict, and Dominic Santiago, a hardened soldier, as the squadron wages war against an insurgent alien race called the Locust Horde — a deadly collective that’s already promised to surface heavily in the film.

“It’s huge,” Morgan declared of the project’s scope. “One of the things they’re really talking about now is the budget of the film and how big of a spectacle this is going to be. My argument is, look at the underlying material. Look at the game and the scenario — the fact that the world is being taken over by the Locust, it has to be huge.”

Having never played the games I don't know how deep or complex the story is but it sounds to me like another Aliens or Starship Troopers (without the cutting irony) so I guess it could turn out great. On the other hand it could be another Alien: Resurrection or Starship Troopers 2.

Source: MTV
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: