Movie Moron
April 16, 2014, 07:31:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 New Photos from Guy Ritchie’s Sherlock Holmes  (Read 1815 times)
AristotleP
« on: May 06, 2009, 11:40:17 AM »

Quote from:
Warner Bros has premiered ten new photos from Guy Ritchie’s upcoming big screen adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, starring Robert Downey Jr, Jude Law and Rachel McAdams. The photos accompany a USA Today report from the London set, which makes it evident that “this isn’t your father’s Star Trek… I mean, Sherlock Holmes.” I highly recommend checking it out, but for those of you who don’t have the time to read the whole article, I have compiled the cliffnotes after the jump.

Quote from:
The image that convinced studio executives to go in a new direction with the character depicted Holmes as “scruffy and stubbly, with a whip in one hand and a sword in the other.” Sounds almost like an exact description of Indiana Jones, and that isn’t just a coincidence. Producer Lionel Wigram compares the film to James Bond or Raiders of the Los Ark.

Quote from:
Law claims that “the physicality, the bare-knuckle fighting, the martial arts are all hinted at in the books.”

“We just hold a magnifying glass over them. A word that Conan Doyle uses an awful lot is ‘apprehended.’ As in, ‘Holmes and Watson apprehend the villain.’ We get to show the apprehension.”

But the film is described more as a buddy film or “Bromance” than an all out action film, which might come as a shock to some. The extended trailer that premiered at ShoWest was definitely evidence of this. The footage I screened had a very Pirates of the Caribbean-vibe, full out action comedy with Downey Jr taking the Jack Sparrow role. Law compares the Holmes / Watson relationship to “something as eccentric as The Odd Couple to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Withnail and I and Laurel and Hardy.”

Quote from:
The article even gives a little information about the film’s plot. Mark Strong plays the film’s villain Lord Blackwood, an industrialist based on real-life occultist Aleister Crowley, who “holds sway over a cult of dark-arts practitioners and claims to possess supernatural powers, is linked to a series of murders.” We get a first look at Blackwood in the photo below.

View the rest here

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/l090507_sherlock_holmes/flash.htm?gid=990&aid=4627
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 01:40:05 PM »

Thanks for posting Aristotle. The pictures are 50/50 for me, I love the traditional movie Holmes and it's been a LONG time since we've seen that on screen. All the kicking and punching, not so keen. I just pray this is a well written mystery.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »

yeah, they seem to be downplaying the detective element in promotion thusfar...guess it's a given because it's holmes, but still
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:42:16 PM »

yeah. i like the variation on a theme, but not when the theme hasn't been properly executed. ever.
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 09:06:41 AM »

If you read the original novels they do have Holmes as a guy that can look after himself so seeing him kick some arse is ok with me, as long as thats not what this film is about. I'm expecting and hoping for a great traditional detective yarn. Let see what Ritchie can deliver

The next scream you hear could be your own
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 03:03:23 PM »

in fairness, it's a minority of the stories that reference holmes' physical attributes, and they're never emphasised over his deductive capabilities. inverting that makes sense for cinema, and it'll be a refreshing take, but like sheridan said, it better be a damn good mystery too, otherwise it's a pointless exercise.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: