Movie Moron
September 02, 2014, 05:15:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Road Trailer  (Read 3109 times)
dnwilliams

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2009, 05:18:25 PM »

The trailer for John Hillcoat's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's novel The Road has his the interwebs, and it's viewable right here

The film looks suitably bleak and the performances look strong, but it's hard not to feel that this is being marketed in a strange way, at least from this trailer...it seemed a little excessively fast paced, like a disaster movie or something. But whether the trailer does the film justice or not, there is no denying that the intense, brutal imagery is mesmeric. The film has recently gained positive buzz, being labelled by Esquire as the most important movie of the year. What with the success of previous McCarthy adaptation No Country for Old Men, most people have already booked their ticket for this bandwagon, but if you hadn't this trailer should have whetted your appetite.

The movie stars Viggo Mortensen (Lord of the Rings, A History of Violence, Eastern Promises) and Fire (The Dawn of Man). There are screencaps of Mortensen and his co-star below.

Source: Coming Soon
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:22:29 PM »

The cinematography looks spot on.

This is a horrible, horrible trailer. Unless, of course, they made a shit movie, in which case, it perfectly conveys the full product.

It feels nothing like the book. The book is brooding, confusing, and has nothing to do with how the "event" happened because the whole point is that you don't know, no one knows, and in fact it's quite impossible. The point is that it's an ethereal device to sift out the best and worst of man. Things like this are possible in film, but not when you want to turn something into an action movie.

Dubious. Great director, but I'm wondering if studio involvement mandated a bad screenplay (coughWOLVERINEcough)

dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 02:38:59 PM »

yeah, it wasn't the trailer i was expecting at all...quite poor actually, oddly paced and focused, they make it look like it's going to be i am legend without the vampires
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 03:23:52 PM »

What a boring title. Looks like The Postman.
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 05:48:02 PM »

This movie looks great! And I 100% agree with Dalmatianjaws, The Cinematography looks excellent!!! Oct 16th please come soon...
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 04:12:49 AM »

Agree with Sheridan, the title is just blah! i love an apocalyptic movie and this could be the one to bring the realism of how society implodes on itself but after seeing the trailer I'm not convinced

The next scream you hear could be your own
Sir Collin

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 11:36:41 AM »

Did any of you read the book? it was all right to me. It wasnt as good as Cormacs other novel "no country for old men" The book was slow and dragged on a lot. It was annoying that were was never any names for the characters, just man and boy. So i am curious to how this movie will turn out. It has been finished for a while according to rumors, so why did it wait forever to get released?

But regardless, hopefully it is more action packed, suspenseful, and talkative than the book. Im hoping for almost a mad max feel in some of the scenes. I just hope it isnt as boring as the book. Reading the plot of the book, it sounded super interesting to me, but it wasnt that well written out.

This is just my opinion obviously, but i want to hear the thoughts of those who read the book as well.

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »

I'm really surprised how many people have read this book, most of the forum in fact.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 02:43:57 PM »

This book was HUGE in the States.

It's barely a novel, really short, and VERY abstract. The "disaster" is never explained because it's not the point. Everything is just on fire or choked with ashes. Everyone is starving and resorting to cannibalism. The characters don't have names. It's just a man and his son fighting to get to the coast.

The prose is extremely beautiful. Given the ethereal description, odd sentence structure, and lack of intricate storytelling, it almost qualifies as poetry. It's a beautiful book about human nature and home. An odd choice for an "adventure" film adaptation. But I have  a hunch the studios cut this trailer to look like a cool summer movie cause they're freaked no one will see it.

Why they insist on taking an existing propery and changing it so none of the fan base will like it is beyond me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: