Movie Moron
May 22, 2018, 08:17:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Has The A-Team Got Game? We Hope Not  (Read 9946 times)
dnwilliams

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2009, 01:43:55 PM »

Joe Carnahan's A-Team movie is on the way, and with word that Liam Neeson and Bradley Cooper are stepping into the roles of Hannibal and Faceman, speculation has turned to the character once played by Mr T - B A Baracus. Several talents have been slated to adopt the Bad Attitude, but right now the attention is on rapper The Game.

This is bad news for several reasons, most prominent of which is how The Game looks. Of course, the new actor need not resemble the actor that came before them, but it's a sure-fire way to get the fanboys on side (see: Nimoy/Quinto), and The Game in no way resembles Mr T. Even with the hairdo, beard and chains. Secondly - IT'S THE GAME! He hasn't dropped anything hot since 2005! So stunt casting (ie: casting a rapper for name recognition because there aren't enough black actors being given opportunities...sorry, separate rant) will not work here. No one cares. Last but not least, look at The Game's face. It's expressionless. Somewhere in the void between aggression and boredom.

Even Michael Jai White from The Dark Knight would be better:

Ice Cube was recently rumoured to be in the running. Carnahan cast rapper Common in the demented Smoking Aces, he too was rumoured to be in the running. Prior to those, when John Singleton was still meant to be helming the movie, UFC champ Quinton Jackson was a contender. And it doesn't matter if the guy can't act to save his life - that would work. See the video below for verification:

See? Quinton Jackson wins on head-shape alone. Now compare that to the physically unimposing (relatively speaking) gangsta rap cliché, devoid of personality that is The Game:

I hope you didn't watch too much of that because you're 100% more likely to lapse into a coma than you were before viewing. There is no way in hell that dude can deliver a performance as simultaneously badass and entertaining as Mr T. You'd be better off letting Sacha Baron Cohen play him:

Yeah. Quinton Jackson still has the Movie Moron Seal of Approval.

Source: First Showing
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:36:30 PM »

for those of you who didn't see it before:

The Arrows:
............................Veteran..................................
 Wild......................................................Intelligent
 .............................Fresh.................................... 

The Zones:
Action Man Zone........................Romantic Drama Zone
Unexpected & Rare Zone..................Rapper Doing Zone 

Mr.T is not in any zone.
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 05:04:15 PM »

I'm sick of seeing rappers get film roles at the click of their fingers, two I rate as actors though are Mos Def and RZA( but that might just be because of my love for Wu Tang) and actually I liked Ice Cube in Boyz 'n' the Hood but I think thats because he was pretty much playing himself. Oh yeah Eminem put in a decent performance in 8 Mile as well.
Yeah I see what you mean about lack of opportunities for black actors. If producers/ studios are looking for young, black actors they should check out the cast of The Wire, there's some real talent there.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 05:15:48 PM »

stringer and omar are doing alright for themselves, not so much the rest of the guys. i don't mind casting non-actors in theory, but in practice it often seems like they could've gotten someone better for the role...and it's not just rappers, singers and rock stars too.
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 10:11:32 PM »

Come to think of it John Singleton is from the same area as The Game and they both were buddies with the NWA guys I think, that might explain why he's hooking him up with the part.
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 10:28:32 PM »

I'm sick of seeing rappers get film roles at the click of their fingers, two I rate as actors though are Mos Def and RZA( but that might just be because of my love for Wu Tang) and actually I liked Ice Cube in Boyz 'n' the Hood but I think thats because he was pretty much playing himself. Oh yeah Eminem put in a decent performance in 8 Mile as well.
Yeah I see what you mean about lack of opportunities for black actors. If producers/ studios are looking for young, black actors they should check out the cast of The Wire, there's some real talent there.

I agree with you, Im obsessed with Wu-Tang as well I like iThe Rza as an actor too, I think he has real talent. Mos Def too, he is a good actor as well. Another great actor/rapper is Common,  I have read articles and seen interviews with Common on him playin this role, I know he wants to do it, he has proved himself in Terminator and in Joe Caranahan's film Smokin Aces...
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 01:21:24 AM »

The Game's arms look like the doodles in the notepads I had at school.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 02:57:11 PM »

Come to think of it John Singleton is from the same area as The Game and they both were buddies with the NWA guys I think, that might explain why he's hooking him up with the part.

by that logic ice cube should get it  Undecided

I agree with you, Im obsessed with Wu-Tang as well I like iThe Rza as an actor too, I think he has real talent. Mos Def too, he is a good actor as well. Another great actor/rapper is Common,  I have read articles and seen interviews with Common on him playin this role, I know he wants to do it, he has proved himself in Terminator and in Joe Caranahan's film Smokin Aces...

Common and Mos Def are competent actors, and I haven't seen anything I dislike them in (that I can bring to mind) but they are MUCH BETTER RAPPERS. Common for sure. For every Jamie Foxx there's an Usher, for every Will Smith there's...well, The Game.
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 05:30:35 PM »

yeah I think I was just clutching at straws to work out some sane reason why the hell anyone would cast The Game for anything.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 04:45:36 PM »

http://www.mmascraps.com/2009/07/quinton-jackson-gets-close-with-female.html#idc-container
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 04:50:28 PM »

Yeah that's BA right there. Dry humping BA.
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 09:04:58 PM »

So dnwilliams do u like Common as an actor?
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 05:39:27 AM »

I happen to have somehow seen most of the films Common is in, he's a decent actor but he's just a bit bland, there's not too much charisma, which is what Mr.T is all about.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 06:16:22 AM »

only seen him in american gangster and smoking aces. he's one of my favourite rappers, but he hasn't done anything as an actor that's made me rate him. he's perfectly competent, but i don't know that he brings anything to his roles that people who have worked their asses of to be actors couldn't do just as well if not better.

my main contention is that the more you cast rappers, depriving actors of roles, the less opportunities these actors have to breakout. we won't have the next sam jackson, the next denzel washington, etc. becuase people are hiring on the basis of recognition rather than raw talent. i refuse to believe that of all the young black actors that auditioned for american gangster, t-i and common were among the best that could be found.

as for playing b a baracus, common doesn't seem right at all...
T.ROSS

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 01:51:15 AM »

I'll have to disagree, I think Common could pull this role off, this project would give him an oppritunity to breakout more as an actor and develop his talent. So Sheridan and dnwilliams, who would you like to see play this role???
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 08:54:55 AM »

I think Rampage Jackson is perfect, if he can act. His personality embodies what Mr.T is about.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 09:28:58 AM »

i don't see it. common is the wrong build, wrong demeanour...i'm with sheridan, rampage seems to fit the part like a glove. disagree with sheridan about neeson though, i think he'll be awesome.

brad cooper is an odd choice for face...could work, probably will. he would've made for an interesting murdock with someone like chris pine as face. who SHOULD play murdock???
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 04:15:23 AM »

slash film are confirming rampage as baracus

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/09/07/ufc-fighter-rampage-jackson-is-the-a-teams-new-ba-baracus/
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 10:58:33 AM »

They're not. The Vancouver Sun is.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: