Movie Moron
September 21, 2014, 06:05:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tron Sequel Update  (Read 4776 times)
Paul Martin

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2009, 12:03:58 PM »

Slashfilm have been reporting various titbits from Comic-Con regarding the forthcoming Tron sequel, with title, plot outline, and shiny, shiny concept art all being given the big reveal. 

Firstly, the previously-mentioned Tron 2.0 and TR2N monikers have officially been consigned to the recycle bin of development history, with the project now proudly riding out as Tron Legacy

The original Tron was always a movie I thought would have suited the 3D treatment very nicely, so it is undoubtedly a boost to the anticipation levels surrounding the follow-up that the new movie will be released in Disney Digital 3D and IMAX 3D alike. Disney have also taken the opportunity to issue the following official teaser for the storyline of Tron Legacy.

TRON is a 3D high-tech adventure set in a digital world that’s unlike anything ever captured on the big screen. Sam Flynn (Garrett Hedlund), the tech-savvy 27-year-old son of Kevin Flynn (Jeff Bridges), looks into his father’s disappearance and finds himself pulled into the same world of fierce programs and gladiatorial games where his father has been living for 25 years. Along with Kevin’s loyal confidant (Olivia Wilde), father and son embark on a life-and-death journey across a visually-stunning cyber universe that has become far more advanced and exceedingly dangerous.’

It was revealed an 80s-set flashback sequence will feature in proceedings, providing opportunity to bridge some of the plot distance between the first movie (released in 1982) and the 21st century redesign. Apparently included in this segment will be the pictured Second Generation Light Cycle, designed by Bridges’ Kevin Flynn in 1989.   

In addition to that bike, concept art has also appeared featuring the Star Sailor – a luminal-powered train – and the two-seated Light Runner – a kind of enforced mating between a light bike and a Star Wars’ landspeeder.

And of course the vintage Syd Mead-designed Light Cycle of yore has been given a shiny new update.   

Directed by first-timer Joseph Kosinski, principal photography on Tron Legacy has recently wrapped, ahead of moving into the lengthy post-production process. Featuring a new score by Daft Punk, the movie is set to hit theatres in 2011,   

And although I’m not sold on the title, Tron Legacy looks a project with definite potential. The presence of Jeff Bridges rarely has an adverse affect on a movie (maybe he was a tiny bit too avuncular a bad guy in Iron Man but no such problem with his role here), and it will be interesting to see how the movie differentiates its computer-created milieu from the generic CGI which has swept the movie industry since the release of the original nigh-on thirty years ago.   

Sources: Slashfilm

dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »

the original movie looks unwatchable, is it worth checking out? this looks cool...
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:14:26 PM »

If I remember correctly the first one is boring as hell.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 03:37:22 PM »

i started to watch it once and couldn't continue, i thought it was realy tedious, but that may be my short attention span. it has to have a cult following for a reason
Paul Martin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 03:43:30 PM »

I always wished the first one could be a bit better than it actually was. The graphics are cool, all the stuff with the light bikes and the disc throwing is neat, all the Syd Mead designs are great, but the movie could just have done with a better central story to hang all the other nifty stuff around. 
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 06:06:52 PM »

Watch newly release demo footage for the sequel here -

http://www.flynnlives.com/media/video/0xendgame.aspx

Freaking awesome.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »

it really is. damn. it'd be interesting to know how they came up with the visual look...that's the major seller for me, it's just so interesting in terms of design
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »

It's beautifully directed, but I bet the guy who did this concept footage didn't get to direct the movie itself.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 01:01:23 PM »

i don't know, sometimes concept footage is done by the director when they really wanna get something off of the ground - like rodriguez did with sin city, before he even asked frank miller if he could have the rights he shot the josh hartnett scene. if you're right, i hope the poor flunky that did shoot it gets a decent jon=b in the production!

decent shot of the cast together:

love bridges and wilde
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 03:21:15 PM »

Also note, Jeff Bridges has big bushy Iron Man-era beard in teaser trailer, now does not have beard. They've just finished shooting Tron, so do we think the beard was in the movie or not?
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 03:50:08 PM »

hmm, good question. he also shaved his head for iron man though, so was that a wig? or maybe the beard is not in the whole movie...the plot thickens.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 06:12:02 PM »

daft punk track for tron has dropped, i kinda like it

Latino Review: Daft Punk's Tron Legacy Theme

i don't know about it as a main theme though...it reminds me of this fever ray song, only it's more repetitive and not as cool:

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 06:54:37 PM »

I got through a minute. Way too slow and dull.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 07:03:48 PM »

you listen to the fever ray one? more of a build up.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 11:28:19 AM »

dunno why, but i'm annoyed that disney have made a casting announcement via twitter:

http://twitter.com/DisneyPictures/statuses/2913295026
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 11:33:26 AM »

Am I the only one that doesn't care? Isn't this just an analog Matrix?
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 01:32:14 PM »

Oh yeah, I misread it, I thought that was it. I saw somewhere yesterday that the Daft Punk track is a fake, that it's not for the movie?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: