Movie Moron
May 22, 2018, 08:16:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF? Writer Hired for Spider-Man 5 ... and 6?!  (Read 9056 times)
ad4m22

chainguncharlie@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 17, 2009, 03:48:29 AM »

The pressure seems to be on Sam Raimi and Sony/Columbia Pictures right now. With production on Spider-Man 4: The Curse of Michael Myers set to begin next year, the studio is already shopping around for a screenwriter to pen the next two parts of its second trilogy.

That man is James Vanderdilt (Darkness Falls, Basic, The Loser, Zodiac). He wrote the first draft of the Spider-Man 4: The Spiderning, before having rewrites added by David Lindsay-Abaire (Robots, Inkheart) and the final script polished by Gary Ross (Big, Seabiscuit.) It seems that, while Sam Raimi might have initially rejected some of his major ideas (a two-part film), the studio has loved it.

The wait between each successive Spidey film has grown longer by a year after each one, so the studio is, naturally, interested in making sure that this trilogy is completed while there's still some money left in those webs. Series director Raimi, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst are only attached to one more film... will we be seeing Gwen Stacey take centre stage soon?

So, with a possible two-part 5 and 6, the guessing game is on: who will be Spider-man's villians? I want Mysterio!

Sources: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42071, http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118007333.html?categoryid=13&cs=1
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 04:16:55 AM »

WHERE'S MICHAEL CHABON?!
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 04:45:21 AM »

Whooooooo?
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 04:58:54 AM »

pulitzer prize winning literary genius who hapens to have been a major comic book nerd growing up, and is 40% of the reason spider-man 2 is one of the best superhero movies ever made

Michael Chabon (pron. SHAY-bon) [2] (born May 24, 1963) is an American author and "one of the most celebrated writers of his generation," according to the The Virginia Quarterly Review.[3] His first novel, The Mysteries of Pittsburgh (1988), was published when Chabon was 25 and catapulted him to literary celebrity. He followed it with a second novel, Wonder Boys (1995), and two short-story collections. In 2000, Chabon published The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, a critically acclaimed novel that John Leonard, in a 2007 review of a later novel, called Chabon's magnum opus;[4] it received the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2001

In the nineties, Chabon also pitched story ideas for both the X-Men[55] and the Fantastic Four[56] movies, but was rejected.

Chabon also wrote a draft for 2004's Spider-Man 2, about a third of which was used in the final film. Soon after Spider-Man 2 was released, director Sam Raimi mentioned that he hoped to hire Chabon to work on the film's sequel, "if I can get him,"[58], but Chabon never worked on Spider-Man 3.

'i would've, but they didn't ask me back' - FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 05:02:02 AM »

Never heard of him. Let's get Stan Lee to write it.

It's ridiculous how they deal with writers in Hollywood.

Nice that Raimi is true to his word, heh.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »

The Amazing  Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is one of the best novels I've ever read. And Stan Lee is a character!

These movies will suck ass. That write has one good movie on his resume: Zodiac. And the screenplay was decent and nothing more.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 01:20:47 PM »

These movies will suck ass.

jeez, we're four to six years away from knowing anything about them!
ad4m22

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 10:00:29 AM »

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure they'll go back to basics, or at least do the Chris Nolan route and have villains just be there.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 10:47:53 AM »

Spider-Man 3 is one of the three Blu-rays I own. Discuss.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 11:49:22 AM »

These movies will suck ass.

jeez, we're four to six years away from knowing anything about them!

Then in 4 to 6 years I will be a prophet. They have a horrible pedigree for a tired storyline.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 03:02:15 PM »

Spider-Man 3 is one of the three Blu-rays I own. Discuss.

i think that spider-man 3 is still better than most superhero movies, despite it flaws (which i think are exaggerated).
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 05:43:33 PM »

It is a very disappointing movie overall but some of the action on its own is just awesome:
) the first aerial fight with Harry - brilliant score too
) the Harry/Peter fight in Harry's apartment
I could watch those in Blu-ray time and again.

dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 06:07:23 PM »

Spider-Man 3 Recipe:

45% Awesome Scenes
25% Horrible Scenes
2% Awesome Villain
8% Crappy Villain
9% Bad Dialog
5% Bad Casting
5% Sam Raimi
1% Bruce Campbell

Add just a pinch of useless characters.

Place ingredients in blender. Press puree for three hours.

That's a real recipe I didn't make it up at all.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 06:21:39 PM »

things i didn't like in spider-man 3:

1. the black costume design (the comic book version is my fav costume ever and instead of that we got a monochrome version of the regular outfit)
2. spider-man letting sandman go at the end - he's a criminal, spidey's a crime fighter. makey no sensey.
3. the treatment of the venom character in general (although there was plenty to like)
4. ...i actually struggle to think. can people remind me what i shouldn't like about this movie?
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 07:03:24 PM »

I could list off 200 things that are wrong with the movie. I just really like parts of it, and I can switch my brain off completely while watching it.

#88 The nonplussed reaction of Capt Stacey and Eddie Brock during the crane accident when they see Gwen hanging out a window about to die 100 stories up. "And we're dating." (cue shocked look at him from her dad)
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »

- Emo Peter Parker

- Sand that can talk

- The overlong music video

- The musical number

- Out of the entire world the black goo lands next to Spider-Man when in Spider-Man 2 they set up an astronaut character that could easily have brought it back and inadvertently passed it on to Peter Parker in any number of ways.

- Harry's butler knew the entire time that Spider-Man didn't murder Harry's father and never bothered to tell Harry until after he'd screwed up his entire life.

- Creating Venom for 40 minutes then killing him when he's the only interesting character

- Only using Bruce Campbell for a cameo

- Mary-Jane and Harry making breakfast

- Two movies crammed into one

To be fare, there are a lot of things to like. Despite the contradictory casting for Eddie Brock that pissed everyone off, I thought Topher did really well with the role. The Bruce Campbell scene at the restaurant is priceless. The Harry vs. Spider-Man action sequences are well shot. Despite how ridiculous Sandman is, that actor does a very good job with it. Can't remember his name.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 03:38:58 AM »

- Sand that can talk

- Mary-Jane and Harry making breakfast

i can honestly say i liked both of these
ad4m22

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 11:15:06 AM »

I liked it when I saw it in cinemas. Then I discussed it with my writing buddies. I have not seen it since. All I remember is that stupid reporter at the end of the movie saying, completely nonplussed, 'Is this the end for Spider-Man?'
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 11:37:24 AM »

Yeah, the reporter stood out when I saw it in the cinema, she was HORRIBLE.

You know that actress is now dead?
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 03:40:19 PM »

i did know that. t was particularly shoddy acting, and wholly uneccessary. makes you wonder why it didn't end up on the cutting room floor...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: