Movie Moron
August 01, 2014, 11:54:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disney Are Buying Marvel  (Read 4864 times)
dnwilliams

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2009, 03:38:29 PM »

Yep. Not just Marvel Studios, Marvel Entertainment, which is as huge as it sounds. Marvel are now a pawn in the neverending Disney/WB war.

Below are some satirical pics I found on DeviantArt.

Mikemayhew

Raheight

Raheight

Toonfed

Manarama

A great comment from SlashFilm:

And an odd one from toplessrobot:

I fear many have been felt by this news.

Poor Boom Studios, the independent comicbook company just started releasing Pixar comics and now they've (presumably) lost their goldmine... Not to mention Universal Studios who have Marvel rides, and Paramount who thought they were sitting pretty with the Avengers movies.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 04:00:21 PM »

Pretty odd for Marvel, a studio who's never had a flop. Blame the bankers on Wall Street.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 04:55:17 PM »

Best tweet of the year

Marvel vs DC

Steve Wacker: Deadpool is now called Alivepool.

Steve Wacker: Not sure why but I have four fingers.

Warren Ellis: so I got this phone call from Joe Quesada and it was just the sound of him rubbing himself with money and now I am confused.

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 08:16:41 PM »

This one is going to run for years. Every time there is a hint of non-darkness in a Marvel movie this is going to come up.
Sir Collin

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 10:38:15 AM »

Disney is so smart its bothersome. Holy crap, they are going to make bank all the new superhero movies coming out, not to mention the success of the upcoming Iron Man 2

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 02:08:21 PM »

They did pay $4bn though, so whether that's value for money we'll have to wait and see. And they don't have Spider-Man, that's still at Sony for at least the next 3 films.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 02:46:11 PM »

imagine if dc bought the rights to superman from the siegels just to f with wb  Cheesy

occurred to me that if you sat mickey and bugs next to each other and said one was a marvel and one was a dc, you'd say bugs bunny was more of a marvel character...at least i would

disney owns abc and other cable channels too, right? bet there'll be a live-action superhero tv show on the cards...especially when fx make powers and amc do the walking dead.

http://digg.com/u3Bp1u
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 05:05:34 PM »

YES! PERFECT!

dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 06:02:36 PM »

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 06:13:30 PM »

It's not like the Wolverine series could get any less interesting. Also, he's too tall to play Wolverine. Is it too late to object?
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 04:23:29 PM »

he *is* too tall to play wolverine, jackman's good but he's not the christopher reeves of wolverines, there'll be an actor more the part eventually

more here:
http://digg.com/u3ByEr#entries
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 09:36:22 PM »

Oddly enough I actually think Zac Efron is pretty good. In interviews he comes across as a normal, non-vain guy who's very bright and keenly aware he needs to jack his Disney status. He'll be a leading man we all respect in 3 years, wait and see. Kurt Russell used to be a Disney teen.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 08:48:04 AM »

He'll be a leading man we all respect in 3 years, wait and see.

a leading man we all respect.
all respect.
all.
ad4m22

chainguncharlie@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 05:44:26 PM »

No: Not Zac Effron. No.

Just you wait. The Thor movie will see the Norse One wearing a purity ring and trying to sell sex to children.

This is a bad thing. A very bad thing.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 07:26:49 PM »

Hopefully they'll take a note from their Pixar takeover and let Marvel do their thing. I've never expected the Marvel run to last anyway, not from the rumblings on Hulk and Iron Man 2 and choosing Branagh and Joe Jackson Johnson as future directors. It would be great if it did, but it's just to tenuous and, as of yet, I haven't seen a single driving force to make it happen, ala Peter Jackson.

High Jackman is about the best actor working today. See The Fountain for example of this. He's the only great thing about the x-Men franchise. If anyone thinks he's too tall for Wolverine they need to turn in their sanity license. They can, of course, retain their fanboy license.

This does not mean he's a good producer, however *coughoriginscough*

Overall, this is just a sad sign that getting rich is more important than creativity and good art. Unless Marvel got the "Pixar Clause" in their contract that allows them to function freely with Disney money, than this basically means the Marvel execs wanted to cash out. They had the talent and the growing Hollywood clout to build an empire and it looks like they might have given it all up. We'll see in the next couple movies that get greenlit.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 08:30:18 AM »

all the naysayers will be proved wrong as far as this deal is concerned, i think. there are a lot of knee-jerk 'disney bad' reactions...

i think hugh jackman is a great actor, i love the fountain, and i think he plays wolverine well, but he doesn't embody the character the way that another actor will at some stage.

i can't wait for thor and cap stuff to start hitting, djaws. you're super-negative whilst knowing virtually nothing about either project!
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 09:42:56 AM »

I don't feel inordinately negative towards them. I'm apathetic due to the track record of the directors and find the source material mildly interesting at best, but if they rock it I'll be very happy. The Iron Man 2 footage looked crawesome, that's for sure, so hopefully they've got Favreau (or the man behind Favreau's curtain) on the job for all the Marvel movies.

The reason I'm nervous about the Disney buy-out but refrain from railing until the movies come in is that a) I had the same dread with Pixar and that so far has been nothing but positive (screw California Adventure!) but b) unless Disney opted for less creative control, this kind of move tends to line the pockets of the higher-ups, and if that's the motivation than I'm less inclined to think it was for the benefit of the stories themselves. Let Disney have all the marketing tie-ins it wants, but leave the stories to the dudes that have been knocking them out of the park. With hard workd, Marvel could have been a powerhouse in Hollywood. Expansions on existing franchises, crossovers with other studios, and new, direct-to-the-screen super heroes. This seems like the easier option. While Pixar had money and street cred going into their contract negotiations, apparently had less of each. All reports say they were asking actors to take pay cuts, which is why they switched to Don Cheadle and almost lost Mickey Roarke. IF that's the case they had less of a power position dealing with Disney.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: