Movie Moron
October 22, 2014, 03:57:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: A Game of Thrones  (Read 26685 times)
twaddington

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »

Anyone else read the Song of Ice and Fire books by George R.R. Martin? I just got in to them recently after my friend recommended them. Filming is starting within the next few weeks for a HBO series based on the books starring Sean Bean, just wondering if anyone else is excited about it.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:21:24 AM »

I've never heard of it but it seems to be pretty popular -
http://www.iblist.com/list_by_rating.php?type=series

Then again I haven't heard of that many books. We all know that books don't count until there's a movie made of them.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 12:56:04 PM »

i know about this and i am definitely anticipating it, even though i barely know anything about it. high fantasy, hbo and a stellar cast is pretty much enough to sell me.

and george rr martin has a quote on the first book of the gentlemen bastard sequence, which is a pretty entertaining set of books i've been reading.

We all know that books don't count until there's a movie made of them.

twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 08:40:52 PM »

I hadn't heard of Martin or his books until about three weeks ago and now i've got a minor obsession with them. You guys should check them out.
The show is gonna have a lot of pressure on it though because the budget is gonna have to be pretty massive.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »

it's bbc/hbo so we're talking rome/tudors budget...
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:10:36 PM »

I heard about the books for four years but never picked them up cause I tend to loathe fantasy stories with tones of passive voice and chapters that start with an old man reciting the lineage of people with really awful names.

But then my ex, my good friend, and two folks I was trapped on a night bus full of roaches with from Koh Tao to Bangkok all couldn't stop talking about them and I picked the first one up over last Christmas.

After a few chapters I went and bought the next two so I could keep reading. They are absolutely phenomenal. It's character based, not quest based, and he's willing to take the story in ANY direction without an regard for genre cliches or archetypes. Fantastic writer. I series is the perfect format for converting these, so fingers crossed. Very excited.
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 03:11:23 PM »

I was really sceptical about them for about the first 50 pages and then I was absolutely hooked. The trouble with fantasy epics is that they nearly always end up being poor imitations of Lord of the Rings. This is different because in a way it is more like a historical novel than a fantasy one, the magic and dragons are there but the politics and character relationships are what Martin is really interested in. 

The way they are written is really clever with the first person perspective of different characters for the chapters, it makes you desperate to get back to the character again but by the time you get back to them you are just as interested in other characters. The tv series could be great as long as they invest enough money in special effects, I thought Rome always looked a bit cheap and that was nowhere near as ambitious story as this is.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 05:21:19 PM »

ooh, that's bad. i never watched rome, but it was so well received i just assumed the production values were moderately high. having something in this kind of genre is a big gamble for hbo though i would have thought, so i'd be surprised if they didn't spend serious amounts of money in an attempt to not get it wrong. the geek market really isn't catered to well on television, they have a chance to really exploit that with a mature, good looking show. a fantasy series on a level with the wire, the sopranos, madmen, deadwood, battlestar galactica...

they're off to a great start with their cast though, two british hollywood stars in the leads is awesome. it's like how the prisoner remake has jim caviezel and ian mckellan! yeah, caviezel isn't a heavyweight but he's delivered strong performances, and i know ian mckellan will literally do whatever he wants (corrie and panto included) but there's no denying he's a huge asset to that show. sean bean and lena heady! sword and sorcery! an hour a week!
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 01:51:59 PM »

I think it's the beginning of the second or third book where Martin acknowledges a friend who "made me put in the dragons"

Yeah, the first book could be done on a reasonable budget, actually. Of course, that was before I heard anything negative about Rome, which I also assumed had good production values and is the show that made the Game of Thrones greenlight possible.

Either was,tThe massive battles in the Fire and Ice series don't begin until the second book, so if they can manage through the first one and build an audience they might get more cash for season two.

I'm 100 pages into book 3 now, and it's just as strong as the first two. Very, very impressed with these books. The only fantasy books I've read in adulthood that have kept my interest, let alone make me gasp out loud in parts and actually make me think about the characters long after I've set the book down.
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 03:50:41 PM »

On second thoughts, i'm probably being a bit harsh on Rome by saying it looked cheap. I didn't actually watch that much of it to judge it too much.

I'm on the third one at the moment as well, annoyingly they split it into two parts for the uk release so i've got to go out and buy/borrow/ steal the second half before i can finish it. There are so many great characters and he really is pretty ruthless with them. My favourite story strand is probably either Arya's or Jon's but they're all great, the weakest link is probably Daenerys but I expect when her story eventually joins up with the others it will become more interesting.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 04:27:57 PM »

lol @ jon snow
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 06:44:17 PM »

Jon Snow. Looking good for his age.

"Tonight on Channel 4 News..."
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 12:49:45 PM »

They are all brilliantly cast, looks wise anyway.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 03:04:54 PM »

Winter is, indeed, coming.

HBO has greenlighted highly anticipated fantasy series "Game of Thrones."

The premium network has picked up the project for a first season debut next spring (below is the first released photo from the series). Nine episodes plus the pilot have been ordered. Production will begin in Belfast this June.

From the moment the project was first announced in development, the series based on the George R.R. Martin novels has generated enormous, perhaps unprecedented, online interest for a series at such an early stage.

The sprawling tale set in the mythical land of Westeros tells the story of the noble Stark family who become caught up in high court intrigue when patriarch Eddard (played by Sean Bean) becomes the king's new right-hand man. The four-and-counting books in the series would each be used as one season of the series.

Unlike many fantasy novels, the "Thrones" series largely avoids relying on magical elements and instead goes for brutal realism -- think "Sopranos" with swords. Martin, a former TV writer ("Beauty and the Beast"), writes each chapter as a cliffhanger, which should lend itself well to series translation.

via THR

I think this could be one of my new favourite tv shows very easily. Excited for this and Broadwalk Empire:

dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 05:15:49 PM »

WOOT!

I'm in the middle of book 3 and it's still awesome!

I've also seen season one of rome and ... it's not cheap. It's actually incredibly expensive. But they keep it manageable but always showing certain sections of the city, etc, and avoid long, painfully digital aerial shorts of the whole city.

This show has a high potential for awesome. Fingers crossed.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »

We're fucked:

QUOTE: "Screenwriter David Benioff ("The 25th Hour," "Troy," "Stay," "The Kite Runner," "X-Men Origins: Wolverine") is scripting."
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2010, 06:13:49 PM »

...Troy wasn't THAT bad...
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 07:09:26 PM »

25th Hour is really underrated, I think it is probably the best thing Spike Lee has done since Do the Right Thing and Benioff probably deserves a lot of the credit for that. I quite like Troy as well, it isn't amazing but it shits all over some of the other 'epics' that came out around the same time like Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven. It does have a pretty poor script though and Benioff probably deserves a lot the credit for that as well.

I like James Horner's score for Troy, it is too good for the film though.

I think Benioff will do a good enough job, hopefully he will stick closely to the books. I'm about to read the 4th book. I've been put off it by a lot of other people who say it is a real dip in quality compared to the first 3, which are pretty much consistently brilliant.

Boardwalk Empire looks amazing!

btw just realised the guy playing Theon Greyjoy is Lily Allen's brother.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 07:45:15 PM »

NOOOOOO! I LOVE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN!
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »

I'm sorry but Orlando Bloom just completely ruins it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: