Movie Moron
April 24, 2014, 12:12:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Game of Thrones  (Read 22827 times)
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2011, 08:00:44 PM »

It's definitely getting better by the episode. There was a bit in the last episode that actually gave me chills. I think overall though it's struggling to create a sense of huge scale. That's the difference between film and TV though I guess; there's no room in the budget for swirling helicopter shots of characters clambering across mountains.

As with all HBO stuff, they are obsessed with the sex and nudity contained in a story without a REAL understanding of why it's powerful.

Yeah it's a real weakness of the show. It's like they think it makes it more gritty and 'adult', but actually it often has the opposite effect- it comes across as trashy and juvenile. 

Also- relating to a later episode- I don't think many medieval women had a 'brazilian'. lol.

dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »

Not to pick nits, but it's not really medieval, is it? They're existing in a world where they've had similar capabilities in terms of armaments, dress and social structure for thousands of years. And if that dude can shave that other dude's chest...
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2011, 07:13:41 PM »

Rome had the same issue (the show not the empire). Once you get lost in the characters it will seem better maybe.

Yeah, the important thing to remember is that it's a fantasy world, not our world from a different time period. Still, sometimes things do seem anachronistic to us and it can throw the audience if you're not careful.

I like Jon Snow a lot in the books. He's got a great characer arc in regards to falling in love with a sworn enemy, but it's done without and bullshit romance novel stuff.

I think what bothers me about the actors I don't like is that they can't get past the setting. They seem "staged" and kind of recite lines like untrained actors do with Shakespeare ...
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2011, 08:41:59 PM »

Not to pick nits, but it's not really medieval, is it? They're existing in a world where they've had similar capabilities in terms of armaments, dress and social structure for thousands of years. And if that dude can shave that other dude's chest...

That scene I also thought a bit silly.

It is a fantasy world yes, but it is closely modelled our history. Martin took elements from the iron age up to late-medieval to create Westeros. The War of the Roses was of particular influence. Becuase of the close similarity to real history, throwing in contemporary language/behaviour etc kills the illusion.

I like Jon Snow a lot in the books. He's got a great characer arc in regards to falling in love with a sworn enemy, but it's done without and bullshit romance novel stuff.

Yeah, he's my favourite character in the book. He's grown on me in the show as well. I've got used to the actor's interpretation of him and am starting to think he's doing an ok job. 

Just about to watch episode 6...
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2011, 06:43:07 AM »

I rate him for being one of the few actors bothered to do an accent as well. If he only he wasn't so gormless...
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2011, 08:08:42 AM »

What are your thoughts on Dinklage and Bean?

Great episode yesterday. The trial by combat is one of my favourite bits from the first book and they captured it really well.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2011, 07:42:06 AM »

I don't get why that random dude offered to fight for Tyrion, but it was a pretty cool scene nonetheless. The set design for the Eerie is great.

Bean's cool, Dinklage is great but needs to work on that accent more. He's consistent but...it's a bit off sometimes. He's one of the better cast members though, definitely.
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2011, 11:17:08 AM »

I think in the book it's made more clear that the guy, Bronn, is a sellsword and he fights for Tyrion knowing that he will be paid well. I guess I filled in the gaps subconsciously. They should have made it clearer really.

Yeah his accent is pretty bad in places. Jaime's accent is strange as well. I think the actor is Danish or something.

Even though I knew it was coming, I was sad to see Viserys go. The actor playing him was by far the standout performer so far in my opinion.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2011, 02:34:34 PM »

Yeah, I had no idea he'd bite it, I was NOT PLEASED. One of my favourite characters, I'd hoped he go on to be a rival of Jon Snow's.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2011, 02:36:57 PM »

Wandering accents is the bane of dialect coaches, especially when they have actors from different regions all trying to do the same one. I wonder if they just picked one that the main actors already spoke and made everyone else match it, of if they just went to the American actors and said "sound more British."

Viserys is AWESOME, he really is amazing in the first two eps I saw, conniving and cowardly and pure evil.

Oh Dnwilliams, if you haven't read the books you have no idea, NO idea what's going to happen in the final episodes.   *smiles with evil glee*
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2011, 04:15:45 PM »

I wish that were true, I've been spoiled I'm afraid  Undecided
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »

youre damaged goods. dont even look at me.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2011, 05:45:07 PM »

( ._.)
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2011, 12:32:22 AM »

Don't watch this if you want to remain pure, it contains a MAJOR spoiler in episode 9

dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2011, 03:38:35 AM »

That video is GREAT.
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2011, 07:12:02 AM »

lol, that's exactly how I felt when I read the book.

Haven't seen episode 9 yet. I'm surprised they didn't save his execution for the last episode.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2011, 07:42:19 AM »

Isn't the idea a book a season?

It's a fantastic episode btw.
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2011, 09:48:15 AM »

I meant the last episode of this season. I imagined the finale being Ned's execution followed by a music accompanied montage of the other characters' situations/predicaments. Maybe I'm thinking too cinematic. I don't buy that rubbish that it's too dense to be made into a film though.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: