Movie Moron
April 23, 2014, 04:12:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Early Reviews & New Footage from The Last Airbender  (Read 2539 times)
dnwilliams

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2010, 03:15:35 PM »

We've already seen the teaser trailer, now new footage of M Night Shyamalan's live-action adaptation of the Nick toon Avatar: The Last Airbender has his the net ahead of the superbowl trailer. Take a look (there's a flying Bison named Appa in the top left corner 10 seconds in):

The music is horrendous. Horrendous. The actual score will be done by James Newton Howard, who is AWESOME, so the fact that they went with stereotypical (and horrendous) music for this is forgiveable. Instead we have to look at the tone and the visuals. The visuals are top notch, they show a LOT of different effects shots - mostly 'bending', control over earth, air, fire or water - in a short space of time and the look really polished.

The tone seems very different to the cartoon because there seems to be an emphasis on the oppression of the Fire Nation, rather than the sense of adventure. That said, it's likely just marketing. It'll be easier to sell a more mature audience on a dark edgy epic than it will an adventure aimed at kids. The fight choreography looks cool, and it looks like Shyamalan's steady long shots might work nicely.

AICN has some early reviews of the movie from test screenings, with two different responses. The first is favourable:

- First off, Iíll state right from the start that Iíve never seen the TV show that this is based on, though I had heard of it so had an idea as to what to expect. Iíll also state that the movie is still REALLY rough.

- Aang is played by Noah Ringer who absolutely looks great in this role. For a kid carrying the film as the titular character, he does a great job for the most part. Iím convinced that with a few roughly edited and performed scenes fixed by the time itís released, heíll prove heís worth his salt. It looks like this is his first movie too, so Iím even more impressed.

- The action scenes work pretty well, but only one really stood out for me at this time, which takes place in an ancient airbender temple and had some nice set pieces.

- Overall, I think they have a fun-to-watch summer movie here. Iíd put it more on the Narnia level rather than the Lord of the Rings level

The second, not so favourable:

- They said we were the 1st audience to see this, and based on what I saw, I hope it was the last audience because the movie was pretty horrible.

- Whoever cast this film should be taken to task, because, if this was the best group of actors you could assemble, I'd hate to see the ones you rejected. This was some of the most wooden acting I've ever seen. The lead child actor was the main culprit and he seemed amateurish compared to some of the others, his two friends weren't much better.

- The only redeeming value of it was the story which was pretty cool as it dealt with the different elements (Air, Water, Fire and Earth) and groups of people who are able to control it. I've never seen the tv show this was based on but I thought it was cool.

So, yeah, your mileage may vary. Head over to AICN to read the reviews in full. But let us know what you think of the footage first!

Source: AICN, /Film
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 03:40:52 PM »

I know which review I believe!
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »

I read 'em, it really sounds like neither one knows what they're talking about...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: