Movie Moron
July 31, 2014, 01:20:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reporting from Cannes 2  (Read 1644 times)
twaddington

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:02:55 PM »

Day two of the festival and the programme is chock full of things to see. I had 4 films on my to do list today, unfortunately it looks like I'm only going to get to see 2 of them. I missed one this morning due to a change in the bus timetable which I was unaware of until too late. This change was due to it being a French public holiday today. Another I just missed several minutes ago as me and my fellow yellows were turned away after having queued for half an hour. Still haven't worked out what happened. It doesn't matter though as they are shown again next week.

This morning I saw a Portugese film called The Strange Case of Angelica in the Un Certain Regard section of the competition. Frankly, more interesting than the film itself was the fact that it was directed by the world's oldest working filmmaker, Manoel De Oliveira, who is unbelievable 102 years old. After seeing him in the press conference I can say seriously the man doesn't look a day over 70. The film itself was, dare I say, pretty boring. Or maybe pretty and boring would be a better way of describing it. Each shot is beautifully composed but is lingered on for way too long. The hokum story of the film goes like this; A photographer is called late at night by the mother of a recently deceased young woman to take a photo of the corpse. As he is setting up for the shot and looking through the lens the woman smiles at him. At first he believes it to have been an hallucination but then it happens again when he is developing the photos.
The woman also appears in ghost form a couple of times and he grows more and more obsessed with her as the film progresses, eventually falling in love with her. It finishes with him dying so that they can be together for all eternity. No really. The film received a huge applause. My hands remained still. The other film I saw today was called Tuesday, After Christmas by Romanian auteur Radu Muntean. A well observed drama about the break up of a marriage due to an affair.

Tomorrow, Oliver Stone's Wall Street 2 is being shown out of competition and there's also a Hideo Nakata film called Chatroom which i'm looking forward to.

and to round off the report, Here are some photos I've taken so far.

The infamous Yellow badge.

As you can see, I am a natural photographer. In the heat of the mement I managed to get this perfect shot of Russell Crowe as he walked into the press conference. Taking this photo actually cost me the chance to get into the press conference as it meant I missed the 30 second window that yellow badge press people were allowed in. Doh.

Cate Blanchett this time. By photographing the back of her head I was attempting to make an artistic statement about the nature of celebrity . In truth, I panicked, put the camera on the wrong setting and completely mistimed it.

Slightly better than the other two, Tim Burton, who is head of the jury, heading into the jury press conference.

People resort to begging to get their mits on the hottest ticket in town for the world premiere of Robin Hood.

The masses gather to watch the spectacle from afar.

Security is tight. Come on guys, this isn't West Ham-Millwall.

AristotleP
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »

Awesome man
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »

Great stuff. I'll be quicker getting reports to the front page from now on.
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 05:23:19 AM »

I'm about to do part 3. Seen so many films over the last few days that it's hard to process my opinion on each one.
Caught the market premiere of Splice yesterday, they let me in despite being press. It was OK, not as good as Cube or Cypher. The creature was pretty fascinating to watch.

also just came out of Beautiful, the new Inarritu film, probably the best film i've seen so far. I'll do some mini-reviews as part of my report.

Was thinking of doing a top 10 things I hate about Cannes, because although i'm loving it here there are quite a few things that annoy me.

dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 12:47:26 PM »

I've been waiting for Splice for SO long, I really want it to be amazing. Cube was brilliant at times, but with such horrible actors it really felt like an oversized studen t project. I really want to see something more polished from that director.
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 02:41:22 PM »

Yeah I rate him but Splice wasn't quite as good as I had hoped it would be. Have you seen Cypher?
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 04:56:12 PM »

No I haven't. He's also done a movie called Nothing that I've never seen. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: