Movie Moron
September 02, 2014, 02:51:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: My First Feature - Facility 31  (Read 19695 times)
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2011, 04:49:47 PM »

I'm getting slightly ahead of myself but i am a tad excited as i am now rocking ahead with making my first feature a horror film called Facility 31.
Shooting for the trailer kicks off at the end of August which will go towards an investment pack to raise the rest of the budget.

Here's a look at the first poster design

Oh don't go to the url on the poster as the site isn't live yet but I'll be back with more info as soon as i have it, fingers crossed for me guys!

The next scream you hear could be your own
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 07:23:26 PM »

Awesome man. Cool poster. My feeling is the double tag line doesn't quite work. I would only have 'The secret could kill them all.' But what does everyone else think?
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 04:05:53 AM »

Thanks mate, its all very exciting and the difference in prepping something like this compared to a short took me a little by surprise i can tell ya.

Agree on the tagline, been playing around with a few of them, be great to hear what everyone else thinks.

dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:02:37 AM »

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:27:48 AM »

Any similarity in the font is part of a global conspiracy.

Also, from my limited experience, no one in the film financing/distribution world is going to notice any similarity, a frightening majority will barely even have heard of District 9.
twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 10:33:32 AM »

Sounds like a great project mate, good luck with it.

The District 9 poster sprung straight to my mind as soon as I saw your poster as well. A few minor changes and it would be fine though.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 06:12:07 PM »

I don't like it, it creates too much mystery and generates too much interest. I'd rather see a poster with everyone's faces floating in the air.

Oh but for real this time:

This is a very well made poster. Picture balance, color, grain, really love it all.  If I saw it hanging in a theater hallway it would catch my eye before 90% of the stuff that's usually there.

One thought:  does it need a hint of something more? Whatever makes your movie different from other contained horror films (assuming that's what it is).

With that District 9 poster it's the abstracted image of the alien hinting at the social metaphor. For Session 9 the abandoned restraint chair tells you "insane asylum" and the "fear is a place" tagline tells you it's a psychological horror. Which is exactly what you get.

With Facility 31 the sign tells me it's a military compound ... but is the horror a monster? Supernatural? Psychological?

Or maybe I'm overthinking.  Who cares. Point is: very cool poster and good luck with this. Maybe I can fly out there to do MM Behind the Scenes coverage while you're filming?

David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 04:20:01 PM »

Thanks for your comments guys, really appreciate your feedback especially as its really early in the project.
I hadn't actually seen that District 9 poster so thanks dnwilliams for that as we want to make the poster art stand out but dont want to be accused of ripping off anyone else.

Good points dalmationjaws, especially about the creature, you're bang on about it being set in a Military compound, which is what i was trying to do but good point about what the threat is, i will definitely use this feedback to make the next poster even better.

As for doing a behind the scenes, definitely, if i get the budget i am aiming for then i have accounted for bringing 6 journos from various sites/press to the set and MM will absolutely be one of them. I will also have some really cool props from the film to give away as prizes for an MM comp too.

Thanks again to you all, more updates when i get them  Smiley

dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 04:51:18 PM »

I realise how rude it seems just throwing that poster up without comment. Congrats and all that. Another pointer on the poster - I think it'd work better if you show OR tell. Doing both s weird. So if we're seeing a sign that is for Facility 31 in the image (which should probably be the most prominent text) then we shouldn't be told that the movie is called Facility 31 on the bottom of the poster too. That way it works nicely as a teaser. If having the title at the bottom of the poster is more important, Facility 31 shouldn't be on the sign. I'd also echo what DJaws said in that case, the genre should be explicit somehow.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »

Also why would the bloody handprint be on the outside of Facility 31?
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 08:01:50 PM »

*SPOILER*

The last survivor tried for a high five, got killed, and fell on the sign.

David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 01:05:12 PM »

Haha dalmatianjaws you've read my script damn you!

Actually it's a shameless attempt to hint at the 'horror' within but looking at it, it doesn't make much sense why its on the outside Smiley
See what you mean about the double title too, which is why its so useful getting your feedback, great way for us to iron out the issues.
We've got a recce hopefully on June 16th when I'm looking to get more photos to make some even better posters. Will stick up when i have them.

Thanks again guys

Mahmoud El-Azzeh

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 06:47:27 AM »

Hey David, are you looking to enter it into the Film Trailer Festival?

http://www.thetrailerfestival.com/

I know the website looks a bit dodge, but is there anything similar out there to this?
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »

That website makes movie-moron look state of the art.
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 01:43:08 PM »

The website's a bit naff but i like the idea. The trailer we are making is, at the moment going to be exclusively used to raise the rest of the budget but no harm in putting it out there i guess.

On a slight side note, i met up with the guys who are going to supply and fit all the uniforms and costumes for the trailer and feature, they did the same for a host of Spielberg stuff from Band of Brothers and Pacific to most recently War Horse as well as Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds, they are amazing blokes and after inviting me into their home they gave me this:

It's the actual prop invite used by Brad Pitt in Inglourious Basterds!, it also has Tarantino's scrawlings inside (not his signature though) How cool of them was that?

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 02:21:20 PM »

Haven't seen Inglourious Basterds yet, this should have carried a serious spoiler alert.

That is awesome. Tip: don't use it in Golders Green.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »

Inglourious Basterds is glourious. Check it out!!!

That is awesome, Hawk.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 03:03:57 PM »

Badass!

Hawk, as this progresses will you post updates on the pitch trailer? We're currently mulling the same idea with an indie producer in the States and my writing partner thinks it won't work so we're curious what the reaction is when it comes to investors, etc.

Best of luck with it man!

When can we see your short?
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 03:18:28 PM »

What time era is the movie set in? Is it WW2, just think that with their credits?
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 04:07:23 AM »

Thanks guys, they've got a tonne of memorabilia just spread randomly around their house, was surreal but great fun spotting the props.

Here's my last short which won Best International Independent Dramatic Short at 2010 Houston WorldFest and Best International Short Film at 2010 FirstGlance Philadelphia and got accepted into a few festivals for showing.

And here is the teaser we shot which we were going to use for the original crowd funding idea on indiegogo

Facility 31 is set today, although it does have its secrets originate from WW2 through to the 1st Gulf War.

I will definitely let you know how the investment pitch trailer goes, the reason i am doing it is because of feedback from potential investors and industry guys who have said its a good way to show your vision for the film and your style which helps set you out among the throng thats out there, especially as i am a 1st time feature director.

Thanks again guys for your support, really appreciate it and i should have more info after this Thursday!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: