Movie Moron
July 25, 2014, 02:14:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: My First Feature - Facility 31  (Read 19384 times)
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 04:55:39 PM »

Seeing as you're going to give me feedback on my script mate it's the least i can do  Smiley

The next scream you hear could be your own
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »

Is your design team all sewn up Hawkman? I know the guy that made these for his portfolio, I think it's really strong work conceptually and visually:

twaddington

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2011, 07:57:34 PM »

Those are really good.

Are you using the 7D to shoot the film as well? The location looks great. Reminds me of 'The Thing'.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2011, 10:49:54 PM »

If it's not at least as good as The Thing now I'll be extremely disappointed.
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2011, 06:17:16 AM »

dnwilliams, no not at all mate, still putting those roles in place so would really appreciate any contact with the guy that did those as they're really cool, very atmospheric. Would he work on an indie Brit horror for minimal dollar though?

We were going to shoot it on the 7D twaddington but after we did some tests it doesn't hold up to low light or ave the best depth of field for focus pulling so we are looking at a new Panasonic instead, i'll let you guys know what we go for.

Haha no pressure then Sheridan! and that is one of the films that has influenced the story for sure, so if i can get even half as good I'll be a happy man Smiley

dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2011, 07:56:57 AM »

He usually does freelance work for record labels, but he might be into it because it's the opportunity to do something different and (presumably) more substantive, I don't know. I can forward him Special Delivery, a couple of those stills and a high concept if you want and see if he'd be interested.
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2011, 09:16:11 AM »

If you could mate that would be amazing, be interested just to hear what his thought's are as from the work you posted above he certainly has the right vibe about his stuff that works for me pal. Where's he based?

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2011, 12:03:34 PM »

Continuing my education - How much does hiring the likes of the 7D or the new Panasonic cost? I presume you're not buying them.
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2011, 01:59:10 PM »

Definitely not buying them as the technology is moving so quickly.
A basic 7D with a standard zoom lens will set you back around 50 per day to hire and the Panasonic around 75-100 but there are usually deals like weekend or hire of one day and get one day free or out-of-hours use which you can normally blag for free.
A RED 1 will set you back about 200 per day though

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »

Do they shoot digital footage that you just upload to your pc as an HD MPEG file or whatever and drag into Final Cut, or is there more to it than that?
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »

They all shoot Full HD footage but its the way they export/compress it that you have to watch for, if you shoot RED then it chucks it out in its own file type and you have to get the software to convert it to work in FC BUT its 4x the size of 1080 HD so can be used for cinema.
The 7D uses H264 which is OK if you plan on just making it DVD quality but crap if you want/hope/pray for a cinema release. You can get around this though by bypassing the SD card and running a direct feed into a portable hard drive, which is fine if you have the rig to support it and aren't doing too many HandHeld shots.
The Panasonic is between the two and is x2 or x3 1080 so you can use it for cinema but only if you keep the resolution up and don't crop into any of your footage. There is more to it than that but thats the basics my DoP has been telling me  Smiley

Then of course there's capturing the sound  Grin

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2011, 03:11:57 PM »

Oh man, just shoot it on an iPhone.
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2011, 06:10:44 AM »

Hahaha funny thing is i thought about that for some possible CCTV angles i was going to use but the iphone's camera is terrible, even something like a Flip just doesn't cut it. Plus i then binned the idea of CCTV  Grin

David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2011, 03:28:07 PM »

Here's another teaser poster

It's getting closer to what i am looking for, not quite there with the colour of the font but at least the blood is in the right place this time!

dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2011, 04:47:05 PM »

A marked improvement. I'm not in love with the tagline though, it's a bit of a non sequitur. Maybe something like: They'll take this secret to the grave, whether they want to or not. But, you know, catchier.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2011, 08:32:58 PM »

I genuinely like it, the angle that provides a double view point is terrific. He absolutely looks the part and there is truth in his eyes - bad actors look bad even on posters, he really sells it. The tagline is improved now the word secret isn't used twice, I'm used to it now so others can say if it should be shaken up. If I come to read the script then I might have a suggestion at that point.
If we're looking for improvements my personal tweak would be it's slightly too vague, from both posters I have no inkling what they're dealing with. Mystery is important and that shouldn't be lost but my preference would be there should be some kind of hint what the threat is. Is it a creature feature? An infection movie? You know. Even just that. eg a toxic leak sticker and a character in a gas mask, or a long claw mark added to the poster below. Those are probably too cliche but some kind of hint. Alien had its egg, The Thing has someone in an ice jacket looking possessed/alien. I reckon the font 31 should match the font of the title a little closer, not in colour necessarily but it looks a touch too pristine.
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2011, 01:58:35 AM »

Thanks again guys, this feedback is massively useful because we took these pics with the limited resources we had at the time so when it comes to shooting the actual trailer i can have a nice shiny new list of what to shoot for the poster art.
Definitely agree on the tagline, its ok but too generic and definitely needs work to make is punchier. And yes please Sheridan, i will have the first draft over by end if July so feedback and tagline suggestions greatly appreciated mate.

And absolutely on the slightly more detail, claw marks i think could work, i want to put a body in the tunnel below with a much clearer blood smear too.

Agree on the font too, it doesnt quite work with the horror feel of the 'Facility'.

Very much appreciated fellas

David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2011, 06:48:52 PM »

Had an interesting pre-production meeting today to discuss what format to shoot the film on and it was suggested that 3D would be a good option because (allegedly) distributors are finding it extremely difficult to find good 3D shot movies to buy to fill the requirements that TV companies are apparently asking for to boos their 3D channels.

dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2011, 07:33:21 PM »

3D IS THE PATH TO THE DARK SIDE.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2011, 07:44:37 PM »

Very interesting. I have no idea if that's practical or not. Definitely get a second opinion before going down that road.

In principle there's nothing wrong with shooting in 3D if you do it creatively. If I was a filmmaker I'd be excited at being able to play with depth of field like that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: