Movie Moron
May 22, 2018, 12:14:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: "Bella"  (Read 2790 times)
Lord Necrojin

View Profile Email
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:02:17 PM »

Some of you may have heard of this film or have seen it, others probably might have no idea what the hell I'm talking about. But if you haven't seen this film, I highly recommend it. The film is "Bella" (2007; PG-13; Eduardo Verastegui, Tammy Blanchard)

Let's get one thing out of the way first: "Bella" is, in the words of the producers of the film, a pro-life film, meaning it conveys an anti-abortion message in the movie as a whole. The thing is, though, I've heard some pro-choice friends of mine also praise and compliment the movie. And they have some interesting insights about why they enjoyed it.

"Bella" follows a day in the life of Jose (Verastegui), who was once a famous soccer phenom, but is now the chef at his stone-hearted brother's restaurant. When a waitress at the restaruant named Nina (Blanchard) is fired for being late, Jose goes to comfort her, only to find out that she is pregnant, and is planning to "take care of the problem". Throughout the day, Jose and Nina become closer, as Jose reveals to her how he went from being a soccer star to being a chef, and ultimately makes the act of supreme kindness for her. Without giving anything away, there is a reason why the film is called "Bella". You'll find that out at the very end.

As I said, there have been pro-choice friends of mine who praised the movie as well. Most of these friends have the belief that they're not for abortion per se, but that they just believe that women should have that option available. Alot of them praised the Verastegui and Blanchard for their portrayal of the two protaganists-which is another reason many pro-choice people liked the movie: the character of Nina is not portrayed in a negative light at all, she isn't the "villain" of the movie. She's just another woman facing a difficult problem, a situation any woman, pro-life and pro-choice alike can relate to. Personally, I thought all the actors and actresses were awesome in thie film. One character I really liked that not many others who saw the film really noticed was the character of Jose's brother, Manny, played by Manny Perez. It's amazing to see his transformation throughout the film; and actor Manny Perez pulls off that transformation so nicely, that it looks 100% believable.

Overall, I give this film an 'A', for awesome acting, a good storyline, and the courage of the producers to make such a film addressing such a delicate topic, without offending anyone.

Here's another interesting little bit of trivia: Listen carefully to all the dialogue and lines, and you'll find that NOT ONCE is the word "abortion" used.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: