Movie Moron
April 24, 2014, 05:46:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Avengers Review (A)  (Read 4159 times)
dnwilliams

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:57:43 PM »

-review temporarily removed due to embargo-
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:19:48 AM »

But the embargo was until today... Huh Huh Huh
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 09:24:48 AM »

2pm

I can't abide lawbreakers.

http://www.movie-moron.com/?p=22064
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »

Really? I missed that, confusing.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »

Just saw it. Great movie. I think the biggest issue is the Hulk's motivation, doesn't make sense the transition from foe to friend when all that happened in between was he jumped on an airplane.

Did you get the scene in the credits as the press screening? Who was the alien who turned around and smirked, was it an (actual) Skrull?
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »

Doesn't come out until May in the States.

DN, so I know what to expect, list all the Marvel films from Iron Man on in order of least to most favorite.

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 02:30:52 PM »

DalmatianJaws, you'll like that Iron Man is very condescending of Thor in the movie. After Thor's done arguing with his brother, Iron Man describes it as "Shakespeare in the park".
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 02:46:04 PM »

*grin*

Okay I might like it. I've just seen them in a general decline in quality, though I know I'm in the minority on that one.

My personal faves of Marvel movies,

Incredible Hulk (flawed, but full of heart and a damn good character story)
Iron Man (probably the most "perfect" of them, but a little too cool for school to beat out Hulk in my opinion, even though it's technically a bit better)
Iron Man 2 (pretty bad overall with some damn good parts)
Captain America (great first half, run-of-the-mill second half)
Thor (a total embarrassment to watch from beginning to end with the small exception of Stan Lee's cameo.

I expect The Avengers to place between Iron Man and Iron Man 2.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 02:46:38 PM »

Good god I can't believe I actually have ranked them so clearly in my head.

*sigh*

dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »

Did you get the scene in the credits as the press screening? Who was the alien who turned around and smirked, was it an (actual) Skrull?

That's Thanos. Not a Skrull, although he does look confusingly similar to that species. We got that at the screening, I thought they'd have added that new footage they shot, apparently not. His motivation is the anti-life equation and the Infinity Gauntlet, I'm hazy on both, but Wiki will have the deets. I kind of wish they hadn't set him up, or hope they don't use him for Avengers 2, it could end up being too MacGuffiny/Alieny again.

DN, so I know what to expect, list all the Marvel films from Iron Man on in order of least to most favorite.

5. Iron Man 2
4. The Incredible Hulk
3. Captain America/Thor
2. Iron Man
1. The Avengers

I can't believe you think Iron Man 2 was better than Cap and Thor (despite how you feel about Thor), or that you liked The Incredible Hulk that much.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »

I could swap Capt. and Iron Man 2 in a pinch. Rather liked the first half of Capt but the end bored me to death. Iron Man 2 was filled with great stuff but it was all jumbled together into a big mess.

I LOVE Incredible Hulk. Wish it had gone darker with Norton's original idea for the opening, but love his performance, the villain, the way they keep Hulk in shadows so long, they way they started mid-story and just ignored the bullshit origin that Ang Lee botched ... also love how they played with his heart rate being the cause, not just anger, and how that played into his love life. Great stuff.  And out of all the movies (Avengers aside, probably) I think it has the best finale of the bunch. When he pulls out the villain's own bone and stabs him with it? Fuckin A.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 06:56:43 PM »

lol, okay

I enjoyed TIH, don't get me wrong. I feel about it the way you do Cap, by the sounds of it. I'll be most interested to see your reaction to Avengers Hulk, because it's by far my favorite incarnation. I don't have Sheridan's problem with the motivation, but it's probably too spoilery to discuss.

I feel about IM2 the way you feel about Thor, the only things I really remember enjoying were the scene where Iron Man and War Machine fight to 'Robot Rock' and some Black Widow stuff. Still can't wrap my head around your passionate hatred of Thor.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 08:58:04 PM »

1. The Avengers
2. Iron Man
3. Thor / Incredible Hulk
4. Captain America
5. Iron Man 2

But I haven't strongly disliked any of them.

I also have a controversial comment to make - The Avengers doesn't particularly feel like a Joss Whedon movie. His usual tone is mostly absent.

I'm sure DN Williams will disagree, but ponder if you were watching that movie and didn't know, would you really guess he was the director? For me, Marvel just have a tone and stamp of quality that this was almost entirely consistant with (one that got career-best movies out of Branagh, Louis Leterrier and Joe Johnston).
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 07:37:50 AM »

Knowing you don't like Whedon and you liked this, you either have a point or find it so hard to accept that you loved all that Whedon banter you have distance yourself from it Wink

It definitely has the Marvel look and feel, of course, but as far as the writing goes, yeah, I would totally guess. He also did a couple long shots that reminded me of the opening of Serenity. I need to rewatch Serenity. Maybe you should give that another chance?

It's interesting how similar our rankings are, the setting of Captain America and the characterization of Steve Rogers goes a long way to push it above The Incredible Hulk for me. Iron Man 2 comes the closest to being strongly disliked by me. It's not offensively bad, but it's pretty disappointing.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 06:34:25 PM »

Liking this.

dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 08:42:18 AM »

Why didn't SLJ say Hawkeye that way in the movie  Sad
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 02:04:44 PM »

Revised list:

Incredible Hulk (flawed, but full of heart and a damn good character story)
Iron Man (probably the most "perfect" of them, but a little too cool for school to beat out Hulk in my opinion, even though it's technically a bit better)
The Avengers (horrible first act, phenomenal second and third act except for Tom Hiddleson's ridiculous helmet)
Captain America (great first half, run-of-the-mill second half)
Iron Man 2 (pretty bad overall with some damn good parts)
Thor (a total embarrassment to watch from beginning to end with the small exception of Stan Lee's cameo.)
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 07:03:22 PM »

"Iron Man carried The Avengers" they said.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: