Movie Moron
December 12, 2017, 12:45:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Juno (A)  (Read 5156 times)
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2007, 09:25:35 PM »

From James Roland at redfenceproject.com

Director: Jason Reitman
Cast: Ellen Page, Michael Cera, Jennifer Garner, Jason Bateman, J.K. Simmons, Allison Janney, Olivia Thirlby

Rotten Tomatoes Rating: 92%
Our Rating: A

If Frank Capra had an edgy, pop-culture savvy ex-stripper granddaughter, she would probably be Diablo Cody.

Cody’s first script, Juno, has all the charm, wit, and hope of a Capra film; and like It’s a Wonderful Life and You Can’t Take it With You, Cody’s story manages to project sweetness and hope without compromising its art.

But Juno will never play on TBS over the holidays, because it delivers its feel good message with smirks and snark.

Juno is the geek certified uber-girl-next-door. She’s cute, brainy, witty, and has a head stuffed full of pop-culture. Played by Ellen Page, a tremendously talented Canadian actor with a baby face and tiny frame that allow her to play characters below her age range, Juno’s humor and charm infuse the entire film. When she finds out she’s pregnant by her best pal Paulie Bleeker (Michael Cera) she sets about telling her family and finding potential adoptive parents through the local want ads.

For the first half of the film, characters banter their way around the tough issues of teen pregnancy and abortion. Juno herself paves the way for a cast that could all use a good year of therapy for their sarcastic defense mechanism. But as the story progresses, a low-key sadness filters through all the tongue-in-cheek. Juno wonders if she really wants to keep the baby, Paulie longs to show his love to Juno by helping her through her struggles, and the baby’s future parents (played by Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman) wonder if their marriage will survive an adopted baby.

But while the film acknowledges these hard facts, it never succumbs to cynicism.

Juno is directed by up-and-coming comedy auteur Jason Reitman (director of last year’s Thank You for Smoking and son of Ghostbusters director Ivan Reitman). Reitman’s style is similar to films of Jared Hess, using long camera shots, rich, saturated colors, and unique indie music to create a slightly exaggerated reality.

These quirks give Juno a smiling, toe-tapping feel that counters its modern, “in your face” subject matter. It’s a throwback to another time and a glimpse of possible film future: heartwarming family dramas. With abortion jokes for the kids.
Tiger
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 10:23:32 PM »

This looks pretty good, I will have to check it out.

I haven't seen Ellen Page in anything so far but, going on the strength of the trailer alone, she seems to be a pretty good actress.

Feel-good movies are certainly not my favourite type of movies, and for that reason only three films stand out in my mind which have changed my opinion on feel-good movies, those are Amelie, Whale Rider, and more recently Little Miss Sunshine.

Is this in a similar feel-good mould to those?  Going on the description you gave, I suppose it is more like Life Is Beautiful, which is certainly not a bad thing as I also love that film.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 11:22:24 PM »

Hmmmm.

Um.

Yeah, I'd say it's a cousin in the Little Ms. Sunshine family tree.

LMSS is a bit more profound and focuses more on the shitty things in life. Juno is more straight quirk without all the baggage, save for the whole "should we kill it, keep it, or give it away?" question. Which IS a tough, profound, life-changing decision. They just don't dwell on it as much as LMSS would have (don't get me wrong, LMSS is a FANTASTIC film, it's just a bit darker).

All in all, Juno is a bit more sugary. They just "salt coat" it to make it go down easier.

As for Ellen Page, I've been harboring an elicit crush on her for a bit, until I found out she's freaking 20 YEARS OLD! Hooray! Check her out in Hard Candy . . . a surprisingly good film with the most uncomfortable opening twenty minutes I've seen in a LONG time.

*shudder*
Tiger
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 09:13:16 AM »

Ahhhhh I have yet to see Hard Candy, but after a bit of IMDB'ing just now I suddenly realised I had confused two actresses.

When you mentioned Hard Candy, I suddenly though "wait, If she is in Hard Candy, maybe I HAVE seen Ellen Page before" and I checked her IMDB page expecting to find Matchstick Men on her list, and it was not.

Then I checked the Matchstick Men page only to find that it was Alison Lohman I was thinking of, who was not in Hard Candy but I thought she was, I guess the two actresses must look similar enough to confuse me.

I really need to check out Hard Candy as soon as possible though, or else I may forget again!  I am expecting it to hit home more than most movies "with a message" that will have me forming a crush on the character because it is Ellen Page and then, given the theme of the text, going through stages of confusion, guilt, and ultimately righteousness - because Ellen Page is undeniably cute!
Tiger
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 08:12:46 PM »

I just watched Hard Candy and I am glad I did as it is a very good film.

Ellen Page is an even better actress than I first thought, and she is certainly one to look out for in future, if she doesn't win an Oscar in her lifetime I will be amazed.

There was a moment while watching Hard Candy when I thought it had all fallen apart, it seemed like a cheap rip-off...for a little bit at least.  But it isn't a rip-off, it just takes the lead from films such as Misery and Audition, and definitely more from the latter!

It is very good.

I will keep an eye out for Juno, I am sure I will also like that and I expect that my predictions or Ellen Page will seem even more justified.
vystral

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 10:01:11 AM »

Really? Juno was that good? Ok, I'll watch it then.

Loved Little Miss Sunshine BTW

FuryoftheFilmFan

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 10:53:54 PM »

When Batemen was getting all creepy on her I couldn't help but think she could get all "Hard Candy" on him any minute. Better watch those hands CreepO! She don't play.
vystral

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 08:46:46 PM »

Ok, this film was quite good. Deserves that Oscar for best original screenplay.

When Batemen was getting all creepy on her I couldn't help but think she could get all "Hard Candy" on him any minute. Better watch those hands CreepO! She don't play.

Definitely was creepy.

Stéphanie Christieans

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 03:53:59 AM »

When I first heard about this film, my initial thought was "Oh, k..." & then I saw it and it really blew me away. If anything, for a script that is capable of calling for a revision of the english dictionary! The casting was brilliant, as well ..I can't imagine anyone else in the characters' shoes.

If I have to say something that isn't so hip hip hooray'ish, then the introduction feels like half of the film already. Why is it so long, but still pretty cool?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: