Movie Moron
November 18, 2017, 09:15:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick Review: The Happening (C+)  (Read 8926 times)
stinkingbob

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2008, 11:35:15 AM »

The Happening is the latest movie by M. Night Shalyman (or however you spell his name) to hit theaters Friday and is his first R rated feature. Unfortunately, The Happening wasn't happening for me and I doubt neither for you as well. Why not? Well, Shalyman is known for making movies with a twist at the end. People didn't like The Village (neither did I), but the ending surprised me.  In Happening, there is no surprise ending, no twist, nothing that made me go wow. The only thing that kept me in the theater was looking at the ways people were killing themselves. That was pretty much the most exciting part for me. To sum up the movie in a nutshell, people from the eastern part of the US are killing themselves for no reason. It is believed that terrorists released some nerve agent. Hence, people start evacuating the cities and towns. Enter Marky Mark Wahlberg as a science teacher and his pal John Leguizamo ad a math teacher. Side note: I don't even know why John was even in this movie. They could have taken him out and his daughter and the movie would not have been changed at all. I guess they needed the big name to try to get people to watch this movie. Anyways, the story is about Marky Mark, wife along with some kids running off trying to escape the unknown airborne "agent" that is killing people.
Now, what I did not like was that
1) almost at the beginning they identified what was causing people to commit suicide
2) what was causing the mass suicides was so unbelievable. I was hoping that there was some kind of sinister being behind it, but alas there was not
3)all characters were quarky. No kind of development. I just didn't care about them.
4)there was nothing that made me jump, no suspenseful moments. Nothing

The only reason why I gave this a C+ was because of the ways people were killing themselves (and I mean it wasn't that spectacular, kinda g rated). Don't see this movie. Its not even worth a rental.
Shalyman, if you are reading this, please don't make anymore movies. Please.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 01:44:43 PM »

Very good review actually.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 01:50:12 PM »

Yeah, it's kinda right on. Even the one intense moment near the beginning, when the contruction workers were walking off the building, was ruined by that damn close up of the guy saying, "dead God in Heaven ..."

Ugh
David Hawk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 02:11:54 PM »

I had the misfortune of seeing this on Friday 13th, was hoping for a back to basics chiller but got sweet fuck all.
To say i was disapointed is an understatement.
The problem with The Happening was that the story made no sense at all. I got that plants and trees can give off some defence pollen or such like and can 'talk' to each other but then Shyamaln wants us to believe that the trees and plants talk to the wind to get it to do their biding?!??!?
There was no tension, zero, nada. When he couldve racked some up like when the littel girl was on the swing or even worse, when Marky Mark broke into a house and discovered a large plant in the same room as him, it was made into a joke!
Seriously, M.Knight has used up all the good will that he earnt from 6th Sense and to a lesser degree Signs, it's time for him to call it a day because i certainly won't be indulging his vanity projects and massaging his ego from now on.

The next scream you hear could be your own
stinkingbob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 05:22:41 PM »

Well said.
I also blame whoever gave the movie a go to begin with.  Just from reading the script, you could see that it would make no sense. I think that this will be the last film shalyman does for quite a while.  I should have seen the Hulk.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 07:38:30 PM »

The Hulk rocks.

Shyamalan is set to write and direct the live action version of Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender.

And, if you looked closely, the little girl is wearing an Avatar backpack at the end of the film.

Yes, you read correctly, the pig put a plug for his next movie into the last scenes of THIS film. What a whore.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 08:07:45 PM »

Even before The Happening, was anyone excited about Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender?
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 09:55:13 PM »

As they say all the time in America, your MOM was excited about my air bender.

No seriously, we say that.

stinkingbob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 12:02:20 PM »

A live action movie based on the cartoon series?? Can you say FLOP, I mean has there ever been a great movie made from a cartoon. AND, Shalyman is behind the wheel? double Flop.
EthanRunt

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 06:12:51 PM »

Oh man, the worst writing put to paper, surely, absolutely dire, and the twist, I thought Shyamalan was joking with a twist half way through The Village, but ten minutes in, really?
He's losing it fast, not that he had much.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 06:59:52 PM »

That's a good point Stinking Bob - has there ever been a good live action movie made from a cartoon?

Anybody?
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 08:51:06 PM »

Super Mario Bros?

Let's pretend I didn't write that.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 08:53:30 PM »

I have one. George of the Jungle. Funny movie, shitty cartoon.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: