Movie Moron
November 24, 2014, 09:53:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I made a documentary!  (Read 2472 times)
G-Force

View Profile Email
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:58:41 AM »

Hey there! David here (not that you'll know me by name, I thought that would be a different opening. Meh.)

Anyway, as you may, or probably none of you know, I love both watching and making films (that's why this site is awesome for news and such)

So I have a friend called Tim, who has tourettes. If any of you don't know what tourettes is, it is a syndrome that makes you have tics or shout or swear without warning (sorry for the really rushed explanation, its just that I should be getting on with my coursework right now ^_^)

So he's a good friend of mine, and I've always stuck up for him if anyone said some horrible things etc (although I don't really need to, you'll see if you see the documentary). And I love documentaries , so I thought I'd make a documentary on him.

A few weeks and lots of staring at a screen later, I present
'Tim and his Tourettes'

It's only my first documentary and I'm only 15 so don't say 'ZOMG SO UN-PROFESSIONAL' but it would really, really (I'm serious ^_^) nice to get some constructive criticism about it. And maybe some general comments about it too.

Here's the link:

Thanks a lot if you have 9 minutes to spare to watch it,

David xxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S. Thanks SOOOOOO much for the BFI tickets. I'm gonna wait untill my dad gets home and I'll show him the movies and ask him what he wants to see. Thanks Cheesy
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:12:04 AM »

I thought that was excellent. Insightful, poetically edited and thought provoking. Great use of music. It's a condition I've personally got little awareness of outside of a lame Farrelly Brothers' movie.

Don't have anything critical to say about the doc. I guess the next challenge as a filmmaker is to get the same natural, relaxed, honest monologue from someone you don't have a prior relationship with.

What a great kid he is.

Be quick to let us know first and second choice at the BFI, the season runs out at the end of July.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 03:25:46 PM »

Hey David, this is great stuff. I've worked in film for seven years, two of those in documentary television, three of those producing "narrative non fiction" of my own, and this is very well done.

It's unprofessional in the sense that you didn't have a lighting kit or high end camera or color correcting. But honestly, the amateur feel is awesome, giving it a Michael Bay polish would ruin the spirit. Amateur is often used to mean low quality, but that's not the case.

I like that it's so conversational and candid without a big dramatic cut to him in the throes of a major tic. I know this might sound weird, but there was a bit of mystery about it. He seems to have a few facial tics, but it's hard to tell if he's demonstrating or actually having a tic.

Using his own music is inspired, and the fact that it's just two friends hanging out and talking really saves you from the sterile microscope feel of a lot of docs.

I turned this thing on, expecting to watch a couple minutes and turn it off, and sat focused through the whole thing. Realyl very good.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: