Movie Moron
October 23, 2017, 07:40:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Top 10 Dystopian Movies  (Read 96580 times)
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2008, 03:53:25 PM »

MORE TOP TENS
Top 10 Actors Who Died Before Seeing Their Final Movie
Top 30 Most Stupid Batman Comic Covers
Top 10 Sweatiest Movies
Top 10 Werewolf Movies
-- Complete List Of Top Tens --

Top Ten Dystopian Movies

10. Equilibrium

Today's gun ballet is brought to you by the letter T

Set in a world where everyone curbs their emotions with sci-fi Xanax, the producers quickly realized, "well crap, what are the actors supposed to do?" So they tweaked the premise - the drug simply curbed intense human passion; basically seven years of marriage in a single pill.

*Notable for its unique and brilliant fight choreography

9. Wall*E

Heeding the advice of Jiminey Cricket, Wall*E wishes for some Poontang

Either brilliant or ironic, Pixar piggy-backed on Disney's evil corporate empire to make a film about an evil corporate empire that destroys the planet. Using the theme of Mac vs. P.C., they manage to cross 1984 with Buster Keaton and Johnny 5 from Short Circuit, with astonishing results.

*Notable for mixing live action and animation without the use of an annoying rabbit

8. Gattaca

It's a movie about genetic racism, and the cripple has to climb a DNA shaped staircase. Get it? GET IT?

Possibly the greatest movie to star Ethan Hawke as a whiney little bitch, Andrew Niccol's genetic soap opera mixes film noir cinematography with a startlingly realistic premise: that genetic alteration leads to a new kind of racism.

*Notable for being one of few films where Uma Thurman is actually attractive, and the only film thus far where Jude Law burns himself to death

7. THX-1138

Another student is carted out of the UCLA library

Long before Lucas destroyed the hopes and dreams of millions of fans by showing Darth Vader dancing on top of a cartoon space-pig, he actually had talent. And with its amateurish charm and oblique visuals, this license plate number still packs a futuristic punch on the modern audience.

*Notable for its unabashed love of the color white

6. Robocop

In the middle of a firefight, remember you gotta have style

Recognized solely for its video game and action figure franchises, Paul Verhoevan's fast and thrilling action picture is actually a dystopian satire in disguise. Peter Weller gives possibly the only good performance of his career, mixing subtle human emotion with machinated mannerisms without forgetting his deadpan one-liners.

*Notable for using a robotic chicken as a villain

5. Logan's Run

A cult that worships that creepy Asian dude from Raiders of the Lost Ark

Proving that Michael York was never attractive, even when he was young, this film takes the best dystopian ideas and distills them through a delightfully 70s filter. In a futuristic city, when the crystal in your hand changes color you are taken onto a carnival ride and ritually murdered because old people are really, really wrinkly - and no one wants to deal with that.

*Notable for the best technology a guy could dream up: a machine that produces prostitutes out of thin air

4. Children of Men

Hezbollah rudely interrupts Clive Owen's morning calisthenics

Who would have though a rugrat-free world would be a horrible thing? Turns out, we really need those brats, and when a single woman gets pregnant in a sterile world, it's up to that dude from those car commercials to keep her safe. This film is staggering in both its brutal depiction of Earth's future and the sheer hope it portrays in its final frames.

*Notable for a woman birthing a CGI baby

3. Akira

What health class doesn't teach you about oral sex

Possibly the bleakest film ever made, Akira is probably the reason group suicides are so popular in Japan. The philosophy is jumbled, the storyline convoluted, but damn if the visuals aren't astounding.

*Notable for creating the sweetest heroine ever put on film, and then popping her head like a balloon

2. Blade Runner

This is why I'm more of a cat person

As it turns out, the future looks a lot like a good Ridley Scott movie. Harrison Ford stars in this grand masterpiece long before his pot stupor rendered him an acting vegetable. There are four official versions of this film in circulation, so I can't comment much other than to say the f*ckin robot toys in this film are the scariest things I've ever seen.

*Notable for being the only good film made out of a Phillip K. Dick novel

1. Brazil

The latest toy to be recalled from China

Without a doubt the purest dystopian film ever made, it takes all the elements possible in this sub-genre and melds them all into a Terry Gilliam fiesta. The fantasy dream sequences, quirky satire, stunning visuals, struggling hope, overbearing despair, and weird-ass governing society and social rules are all on display.

*Notable for co-starring Robert DeNiro before he only played aging New York cops

*Special Award*
I proudly present this Top Ten List special award: Best Dystopian Movie "Shock Ending" Trilogy Starring Charlton Heston

The following three films were just so amazing and intrinsically linked that they demanded special attention.

*The Omega Man*

Proof that there is such a thing as too much cocaine

*Planet of the Apes*

Charlton Heston, a full thirty seconds after the director yelled "Cut!"

*Soylent Green*

You'd think they'd be a lot more subtle if they didn't want folks to know it was made from people

MORE TOP TENS
Top 10 Actors Who Died Before Seeing Their Final Movie
Top 30 Most Stupid Batman Comic Covers
Top 10 Sweatiest Movies
Top 10 Werewolf Movies
-- Complete List Of Top Tens --

NEW: Funniest Animated Gifs About Movies
Arnold Rave
Arnold Rave

David Hasselhoff Chariot Sam Jackson Saving Private Ryan Picard 300 Webcam Interview With The Vampire  The Matrix Origami Back To The Future II Van Damme Band

Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 07:04:14 PM »

Great list, and a genre I have neglected too much. I haven't even seen about half of these. (I've tried but I just can't get through THX.)

Yeah, the gun fights in Equilibrium don't get nearly enough credit.

Children Of Men was an absolutely terrific film that was totally shafted by the system when it came to recognition.
HatoriHanzo88

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »

LOVE this idea. "Dystopia" is a favourite genre of mine both in film and literature. I need to see more dystopia films though, Gattaca looks particularly amazing.

It's a pity the film adaptation of Margret Atwoods "The Handmaids Tale" was so bad. I'd love to see this film made by someone liek Chris Nolan. With a good cinematographer too.
The Movie Whore

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 01:01:03 AM »

Nice list. All of these rank among some of my favorite films.

Here is one that fits and is weirder than hell, Zardoz. One hell of a tripped out flick. I just watched again about a year ago trying to remember how weird it is.

A life wasted on, I mean devoted to film.
Mahmoud El-Azzeh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 07:12:38 AM »

Excellent article. Lots of my favourite movies here esp. Equilibrium and Blade Runner.
dnwilliams

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »

very good list! i've only read a clockwork orange, not seen it, but i'm surprised it didn't make the cut...

seen everything else except for robocop, which i was shocked to see here, didn't even know it was dystopian.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 02:50:30 PM »

I thought about Clockwork. It's definitely a great movie and probably technically a Dystopian film, but feels a bit different. It feels like the government is struggling to control an out of control populace. It kind of feels to me that the "evil" comes from within the individuals and that the government is failing to control it, rather than a government surpressing a "good" people.  I know that's not the strict definition of a Dystopian story, but that was such a strong element in terms of American movies that I let that guide me.

Yeah, Robocop gets buried amidst a slew of bad 80s/90s movies, but man is it great. Totally a fun action flick, but a really true Dystopian fable as well.
dalmatianjaws

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 02:51:16 PM »

Has this really been viewed 35,000 times?
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 03:28:24 PM »

Yup. It's what's so annoying about comments, how can so many people read an article and not one leave feedback?

In this case they came largely from you submitting it to stumble upon:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.movie-moron.com/forum/index.php%253Ftopic%253D823.msg2555%2523msg2555
Normally you get about 2,000 from there if you're lucky, I'm not quite sure why this time was different.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: