Movie Moron
April 24, 2014, 10:00:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Having problems joining the forum? E-mail the webmaster using the address here.

Website   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Watchmen be Three Hours Long?  (Read 1682 times)
Dom Duncombe

View Profile Email
« on: August 17, 2008, 06:01:44 PM »

When I first heard that a film adaption of the graphic novel 'Watchmen' was being put into production, my first thought was as to how they were going to cram all the story and action into a film's running time (anyone who has read the comic will know that it interweaves several complex storylines before bringing them all together for an epic climax). Well, it turns out that Zack Snyder's first cut for the watchmen movie has come in at 210 minutes. That's four hours long. Now, this running time is expected to come down in editing, but even so Snyder is apparently butting heads with his Warner studio bosses about it's length.

From an online petition:
We, the ‘Minutemen’ below, respectfully demand a 3 hour running time for the forthcoming movie ‘Watchmen’ from Warner Bros. Directed by Zack Snyder (300, Dawn of the Dead), Watchmen is a film adaptation of what is widely regarded by comic fans as the greatest superhero story ever... As with any movie Warner Bros have a responsibility to make ‘Watchmen’ a commercial success and to appeal to a broad audience, many of whom will not be familiar with the story – and therein lies the issue. While discussions with WB studio executives are ongoing about the running time of the movie, there is pressure to ensure that it comes in at below 2hrs and 50 minutes.

We, the ‘Minutemen’ below, submit that Watchmen must be a 3 hour movie and ask WB to respect and extend the courtesy of this longer running time to the giant of all superhero stories.

This raises the question; Would you go to see a three hours of what is essentially a superhero movie? I think that films such as the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Dark Knight have recently proven that audiences are willing to sit through a long film if the quality is there to keep their interest. It would be a terrible shame to lose parts of the plot in order for the film to make more money at the box office but unfortunately that is a sacrifice that sometimes has to be made.

Source: io9
Tyler Lovemark

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 12:55:52 AM »

I would not mind seeing a comic-book epic up on the screen.  But given the risk of the whole situation, I doubt it will happen and we'll have to wait for the director's cut to really get to experience it.  It will be like our generation's Blade Runner.
Sheridan Passell
Administrator

Movie Moron Founder/Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 01:20:48 AM »

Am I the only one who finds Blade Runner kinda boring and depressing?
TheNakedGenius

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 02:51:09 AM »

I have to admit, that I find Watchmen kinda boring.

I know that most comic book fans hold it as the Citizen Kane of the comic book medium, but I have tried to read it twice and have just gotten bored and given up.

I'm wondering wether I should try and read it again before the movie, or just wait and let the movie tell me the story. Cause the movie looks kick-ass from the advert.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: